Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Questions about reincarnation

Default Questions about reincarnation

To those parents who believe in reincarnation:

You probably love your kids and you believe that they are the children of you and your partner. Nobody else gets a look-in, right?

You probably love your parents and you believe that you are their offspring.

What about their previous lives?

In your mothers's previous life, was she your mother, or was she someone else's mother? If she wasn't your mother, who's mother was she and who was your mother? If she was your mother, was she married to your father, or did you have a different father?

Let's assume you have a daughter. In your daughter's previous life, was she your daughter, or was she someone else's daughter? If so, whose daughter was she?

I could ask the same questions about your father and your son (if you have one).

Where does DNA come into this, if at all?

What about your partner? Did you have the same partner in your previous life? If not, who was your partner in your previous life? And who was your partner's partner?

I'd never thought about these things until last week. What if my children were someone else's children in a previous life? Would they know? Would I know? Would I care? Should I care? Of course I would care! But I don't believe in reincarnation so it's not a problem for me. If I did believe in reincarnation, then I would have one heck of a problem with the concept that my beloved child might have been someone else's beloved child in a previous life.

Profound question Crayola!!! I've had thoughts about reincarnation, the Hindus believe in it, but I'm not very sure if we would all come back as people??

It may depend on the type of life you have led.

I can't answer what is a good life or what is a bad one, so I've no idea what I may come back as. It may be a dog, I like them. It could perhaps be something in the past, I would have loved to have been a first world war fighter pilot, not interested in the modern planes. If I was reincarnated I would like to come back as one of them. Can reincarnation go back in time???
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Quote Originally Posted by crayola
    To those parents who believe in reincarnation:

You probably love your kids and you believe that they are the children of you and your partner. Nobody else gets a look-in, right?

You probably love your parents and you believe that you are their offspring.

What about their previous lives?

In your mothers's previous life, was she your mother, or was she someone else's mother? If she wasn't your mother, who's mother was she and who was your mother? If she was your mother, was she married to your father, or did you have a different father?

Let's assume you have a daughter. In your daughter's previous life, was she your daughter, or was she someone else's daughter? If so, whose daughter was she?

I could ask the same questions about your father and your son (if you have one).

Where does DNA come into this, if at all?

What about your partner? Did you have the same partner in your previous life? If not, who was your partner in your previous life? And who was your partner's partner?

I'd never thought about these things until last week. What if my children were someone else's children in a previous life? Would they know? Would I know? Would I care? Should I care? Of course I would care! But I don't believe in reincarnation so it's not a problem for me. If I did believe in reincarnation, then I would have one heck of a problem with the concept that my beloved child might have been someone else's beloved child in a previous life.
    You might have been a cat in your last life and your offspring might have been kittens eaten by another animal.Although chidren can, if the birth trauma is not too severe, have strong memories of previous lifetimes, this link generally fades and breaks as the child moves towards puberty and through that to adulthood. For a grown up to break the veil and remember past lives needs intense study and mental discipline. In the West, very few do, but in the East where minds are not so closed to esoteric principals, there are many more. The incarnating soul is believed to choose its own incarnation and family in order that its path to perfection is given the right chance. To the unenlightened soul in this present incarnation, what he or she was in their previous lives and who or what his or her children were is completely immaterial. If your thinking leaves you with all these thoughts about what you or your children might have been, then I suggest a new teacher if you can find one. Your present gurus, by your own statements, are not very good.

We, as incarnating individual souls, have to move from mineral to vegetable to animal to animal man to sophisticated man. We have to get to seventh stage before we can embrace perfection. It would appear from the apparent stage that we have reached that we have no chance. Do you want to back to the beginning and start again? I certainly don't.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

I have never believed in this sort of stuff. It doesnt mean I havnt thought about it, and of course it can be an attractice thought. Perhaps I never thought about it enough though. I know there are many so called holy men whom Gleber would like us to believe are above normal human experience, but where exactly does that experience lead them? Maybe its up their own backsides.
    Theres no doubt our world and our own actions are in need of a shake up and I agree with Gleber on something he said on another post. Look inside for the answers not out. Yet, here he suggests Crayola finds a Guru to lead her. Well, be careful Crayola, you may end up with your feet sticking out of your bum.
    I have rarely met people as informative as Gleber about the human condition, and rarely have I met someone as religous, but the idea that we are reincarnated souls is only equalled in bizzarness by the idea that at the end of it there is some utopia where we will all live happily ever after. Christians call it heaven. The Vikings used to call it Valhalla. Glebers idea that the seventh stage achieves perfection is no less fodder for the gullible than the bible is to Christians.
    Religion is there to satisfy the bits of our own personalities that we dont understand. It fulfills needs and hopes and pacifies a turbulant organism.
    I cant for the life of me understand how inteligent people like Gleber and Whitewater and Crayola, can completely ignore the observable evidence in our universe at the expense of their unconscious and hopeful fantasies.

PS Have you tried Scientology Crayola? They do a nice reincarnation.

Maybe the past lives are not our own but the memories of our ancestors contained in our dna which is passed down from generation to generation.

Please crayola tell me no. Surely ive suffered enough this time round.I dont wanna play no more if this is gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    I have never believed in this sort of stuff. It doesnt mean I havnt thought about it, and of course it can be an attractice thought. Perhaps I never thought about it enough though. I know there are many so called holy men whom Gleber would like us to believe are above normal human experience, but where exactly does that experience lead them? Maybe its up their own backsides.
    Theres no doubt our world and our own actions are in need of a shake up and I agree with Gleber on something he said on another post. Look inside for the answers not out. Yet, here he suggests Crayola finds a Guru to lead her. Well, be careful Crayola, you may end up with your feet sticking out of your bum.
    I have rarely met people as informative as Gleber about the human condition, and rarely have I met someone as religous, but the idea that we are reincarnated souls is only equalled in bizzarness by the idea that at the end of it there is some utopia where we will all live happily ever after. Christians call it heaven. The Vikings used to call it Valhalla. Glebers idea that the seventh stage achieves perfection is no less fodder for the gullible than the bible is to Christians.
    Religion is there to satisfy the bits of our own personalities that we dont understand. It fulfills needs and hopes and pacifies a turbulant organism.
    I cant for the life of me understand how inteligent people like Gleber and Whitewater and Crayola, can completely ignore the observable evidence in our universe at the expense of their unconscious and hopeful fantasies.

PS Have you tried Scientology Crayola? They do a nice reincarnation.
    That which can be observed in the material universe depends upon how open the eye of the beholder is. To say that I ignore the obsevable evidence in our universe is pure poppycock. I can't, for the life of me, understand how some-one as learned as yourself can be so pedantically narrow minded about things you have not yet seen when I know for a fact that, for a long time you were a Christian. This debate has got nothing to do with religion. Mataphysics maybe, philosophy, maybe or perhaps a means of passing the time but to mock what your own boundaries will not let you understand is poor Gleeber.

To sit at home and think and only talk to those who come to talk is hardly pushing my outre ideas on anyone. If you want to talk to some-one who strongly pushes his ideas up some-one's fundamental, talk to your mirror. It won't argue.

Crayola can I ask what is was that suddenly made you ask yourself these questions?

You probably guessed I wouldn't be able to ignore this thread though eh??? lol.
    IMO the people we have in our lives today are people who were also in our previous lives and will be present in our future lives, but not necessarily in the context as we know them this time round.
    My sister may have been a friend, my mum may have been a sister, brother, aunt or uncle, but I have no doubt we are drawn to the spirit of people by recognition. Most people have had that experience where they just think they 'know' someone and rack their brains to figure out where from but knowing deep down they simply just 'recognise' them or they're 'familiar'. In those cases I believe it's the soul or spirit of that person that we recognise.
    And it's those souls that will be on the other side waiting for us when it's our turn to cross over.

Gleeber - believing in a life after death does not have to have anything to do with religion.
    I believe unconditionally in life after death, I believe in Jesus (just not as the bible portrays) however I am not religious. I don't attend church (unless it's a spiritulist church with a medium or to light a candle), I don't pray etc, but my belief with regards to where we go after leaving this life comes from a belief that I just know what I feel is right and true. It's not about being a fantasist, an idiot, religious or fearing death it's simply just knowing that that 'utopia' as you call does exist.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    Crayola can I ask what is was that suddenly made you ask yourself these questions?

You probably guessed I wouldn't be able to ignore this thread though eh??? lol.
    IMO the people we have in our lives today are people who were also in our previous lives and will be present in our future lives, but not necessarily in the context as we know them this time round.
    My sister may have been a friend, my mum may have been a sister, brother, aunt or uncle, but I have no doubt we are drawn to the spirit of people by recognition. Most people have had that experience where they just think they 'know' someone and rack their brains to figure out where from but knowing deep down they simply just 'recognise' them or they're 'familiar'. In those cases I believe it's the soul or spirit of that person that we recognise.
    And it's those souls that will be on the other side waiting for us when it's our turn to cross over.

Gleeber - believing in a life after death does not have to have anything to do with religion.
    I believe unconditionally in life after death, I believe in Jesus (just not as the bible portrays) however I am not religious. I don't attend church (unless it's a spiritulist church with a medium or to light a candle), I don't pray etc, but my belief with regards to where we go after leaving this life comes from a belief that I just know what I feel is right and true. It's not about being a fantasist, an idiot, religious or fearing death it's simply just knowing that that 'utopia' as you call does exist.
    We have never crossed swords but I fully go along with what you are saying.
    It is a question of knowing, not believing, and when that knowledge has been accepted there can be no further arguement. Trying to put this accross to some-one who has not yet seen the "truth" is futile.
    Jung, as a young man, was asked if he believed in God. He replied "Yes I believe". When asked, many years later, if he still believed in the existance of God he replied " No, I no longer believe that he exists, I know that he does".

I may not have quoted the reference exactly but the point is clear.

You've started something here Crayola.

Of one thing I am certain, I have always existed and always will exist, but not in this present form because that is just a short passing phase.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    You've started something here Crayola.

Of one thing I am certain, I have always existed and always will exist, but not in this present form because that is just a short passing phase.
    Like a northern rock, a veritable Gibralter and very similar to an elephant I once knew who developed verrucas. O that's a different thread.
    A short passing phase. You hope, you might make 62.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    Like a northern rock, a veritable Gibralter and very similar to an elephant I once knew who developed verrucas. O that's a different thread.
    A short passing phase. You hope, you might make 62.
    I'm trying hard and with luck I might even succeed.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    That which can be observed in the material universe depends upon how open the eye of the beholder is. To say that I ignore the obsevable evidence in our universe is pure poppycock. I can't, for the life of me, understand how some-one as learned as yourself can be so pedantically narrow minded about things you have not yet seen when I know for a fact that, for a long time you were a Christian. This debate has got nothing to do with religion. Mataphysics maybe, philosophy, maybe or perhaps a means of passing the time but to mock what your own boundaries will not let you understand is poor Gleeber.

To sit at home and think and only talk to those who come to talk is hardly pushing my outre ideas on anyone. If you want to talk to some-one who strongly pushes his ideas up some-one's fundamental, talk to your mirror. It won't argue.
    Whilst I have nothing but the most revered respect for Mr Jung, his knowledge of whether there is a God or isnt a God is no more or no less important than anyones. I dont believe some of the stuff the Pope "knows" either. Do you?
    This knowing you have, and I havnt, seems to be where we disagree. Lets look at it and see if we can at the very least agree to disagree whilst still holding respect for eachothers point of view. Heres mine.
    Reincarnation is a religious phenomena, as is life after death. It may well be philosophical in nature as you claim but its a faith philosophy. There is no evidence for it. Its something thats plucked out of the air just like the Oongaoonga tribe in Central America who get their power from worshipping rabbits entrails.
    Faith philosophy begins with an assumption, eg there is a God, or, I will live in heaven forever with my God, or, as Glenn Hoddle the ex England football manager famously self destructed when he said, disabled people are paying for sins in past lives by being crippled in this one. How patronising and demoralising for some disabled kids hero to accuse him of something that is totally without foundation, apart from Mr Hoddles personal belief that this is the way of the universe.
    When I talk about the observable universe, this type of thing cannot be observed, unless one first thinks it, and then believes it, but how Mr Hoddle can know it is beyond me. This is where we must agree to disagree unless you can reassure me that what I am doing or not doing is blocking me from knowing this. Dont forget I can think it, but I choose not to believe it.
    You quoted Jung as a defence for a metaphysical prescence in the universe. Let me quote his old mate Mr Freud (they fell oot) who has an opposing view and puts religious phenomena firmly at the door of the individual.
    "I have never doubted that religious phenomena are only to be understood on the pattern of the individual neurotic symptoms familiar to us, as the return of long since forgotten, important events in the primaevil history of the human family, and that they have to thank precisely this origin for their compulsive character and that, accordingly, they are effictive on human beings by force of the historical truth of their content"
    I agree, and as you rightly point out I was a Christian once, but I'm ok now.
    PS I just realised its Easter Monday. Good day for it. Happy Easter!
    Last edited by gleeber; 17-Apr-06 at 09:12.

Gleeber - again, I do not necessarily believe in 'god', yet that doesn't stop me from believing in life after death.
    Personally, i think it takes a very tunnel minded individual to think that this life is all there is simply because they don't think they have seen tantamount proof that there is another existence.
    We see proof of the next existence all around us, every day, but either choose to ignore it or are incapable of seeing and accepting it because it would take us away from that 'safety' zone of disbelieving.

IMO disabled people, as awful as it may be for us 'humans' in this life to contemplate - chose to have their particular disability in order to further their learning - what better way to learn than through experience? This learning is required in order to transcend to a higher being, which I believe is our ultimate goal.

Take birth marks for instance, what is your take on those? I believe that they are scars carried into this life caused by trauma in a past life. Now, many people may disagree with that, fine, but it's as good a theory as any other I've heard.

I really do fail to understand why people struggle to believe in the after life. What really makes you believe that this life is all there is? Whats the point to this life?
    Perhaps it's a fear of an afterlife? And the way we are taught to believe in heaven or hell?
    Personally I don't believe in hell, at least not in the underground, firey, devilish way. I believe hell (too stronger word imo) is experienced on the other side when we have to sit in judgement on ourselves for our acts in this life. It's not a 'god' damning us for all eternity beacuse we committed a crime, it's being on the other side in all our spiritual greatness judging our teatment of others, our sins etc of the time we spent here on earth. From this judgement of ourselves we choose our next life path from what we believe we need to re-experience or understand in order to finally transcend to that perfect spiritual being (maybe some would call these angels).

There are those however, that are so evil in this life (Hitler etc etc) that simply turn away from the comforting, guiding light as we pass over and are immediately re-born, having learnt nothing from the past life except to become wallowed in a well of hatred, blackness and nothingness, therefore repeating the cycle over and over again.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Welcome back Porshiepoo, Crayola, all the Org needs now is Phoenix back on full stream and we will start having a laugh again. Nice to see you all back missed your postings
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Ahhhh Bless! How nice is that Golach! Nice to be missed.

Madam Poo(People call you Porshie so I assume that Poo is your surname. )
    although I do not see the game quite as you do, essentially we are of a like mind. I don't believe that disabled beople choose their problems, I believe that kharma gives them no choice and indeed, the aforementioned football manager was fired for telling the truth, as I see it.
    Gleeber.I have no strong feelings one way or another about the existance of God. There is no strong proof either way and I have never felt that I knew He existed. Therefore I don't really care whether he does or not.
    Religion, which you embraced later in life for whatever reason, is something that I rejected totally at the age of eleven or perhaps sooner. I went to the Salvation Army and the Church of Scotland until, one day, I defied my father and refused to go. From that moment on, although I have had a great interest in the phenomena of religion, I have never been part of any religious group or organisation.
    "How Mr.Hoddle knew is beyond me" you state. This is the salient point"beyond you". Jung stated that he knew something about the existance of God which I didn't and don't. He, perhaps, has gone beyond me. His statement about knowing that God exists is outside of my personal experience and I quoted him to illustrate a point, not to admit that I thought that God is in Heaven. C'est la vie.If you wish to swallow the psychobabble gobbledegook of Mr. Freud, that is your choice. I rejected his ideas not long after I rejected religion.
    Your absolute need for proof creates barriers in your mind which completely preclude the trip into the unknown which can take you to places where there is no doubt whatsoever about certain aspects of the game of life. You create your own boundaries by your need to prove everything on a material plain when the subjects that you wish to argue about are not provable on a material plain but in the realm of the spirit. Every time I have tried to get you to at least look at the possibility that your self created barriers prevent you from moving on, you have got angry and said things like"Who do you think you are to state that I am not as intellectually and spiritually advanced as you". Your intellectual egotism is preventing you from seeing that which some people see so clearly that they no longer believe, they know. I am always delighted when a force, person or teacher can take me beyond myself and teach me to see things in a different light. In fact, I spent many years on the road looking for such people because the wise man knows that everybody you meet in this life is a teacher in one way or another and, by keeping an open mind, one can go beyond oneself. Faith and belief and religion and God have no real place in my life. If you, and you obviously,in my experience do, feel threatened by the fact that a fellow man, a fellow Gleber or a fellow seeker after truth can be beyond you, then you have problems if you wish to climb the ladder of spiritual awareness. In all humility, Gleeber, leave your ego driven intellectual pride behind and accept that some things are beyond proof and that those who try to get you to see this are not comparing you to anyone else and are not trying to put you down intellectually. Read your books and spout, ad nauseum, the words of your experts and stay rooted firmly on the ground. That is your choice.
    Last edited by Gleber2; 17-Apr-06 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Welcome back Porshiepoo, Crayola, all the Org needs now is Phoenix back on full stream and we will start having a laugh again. Nice to see you all back missed your postings
    Am trying hard golach! Between the Valkyries, The Silkie, The Piper at Windi Ha, The Mummy and the enchanted woods at Castlehill its not easy!

Youve done me a bit of a favour with your personalised reply Gleber. For years I've been viewed with suspicion for being a friend of yours, and on more than one occasion I was called one of your disciples.
    I now have it in writing from yourself, that I never believed any of it. Cheers min. See ye on Wednesday.
    If porshiepoos rant wasnt so stupid and insulting it would be funny, however as the nature of this thread has unravelled it can be seen that peoples beliefs are far from funny matters and effect other peoples lives in many different ways.
    Another 10 blown to bits in Tel Aviv today because some believer knew he was going to paradise. Millions of Christians reinforcing their belief today, that their master rose from the dead 2000 years so as they can live forever. Caithness.orgs own Kharma cowboys out in force. Easter Monday widna be the same without life after death.
    Its enough to make a tunnel visioned, evidence based, feet on the ground mason, boke.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    Youve done me a bit of a favour with your personalised reply Gleber. For years I've been viewed with suspicion for being a friend of yours, and on more than one occasion I was called one of your disciples.
    I now have it in writing from yourself, that I never believed any of it. Cheers min. See ye on Wednesday.
    If porshiepoos rant wasnt so stupid and insulting it would be funny, however as the nature of this thread has unravelled it can be seen that peoples beliefs are far from funny matters and effect other peoples lives in many different ways.
    Another 10 blown to bits in Tel Aviv today because some believer knew he was going to paradise. Millions of Christians reinforcing their belief today, that their master rose from the dead 2000 years so as they can live forever. Caithness.orgs own Kharma cowboys out in force. Easter Monday widna be the same without life after death.
    Its enough to make a tunnel visioned, evidence based, feet on the ground mason, boke.
    I have been waiting all day for your reply and I must admit you have disappointed me. I have no arguement with your points about religion. As I hope you know, I have no religious beliefs whatsoever and what you have said makes this dyed-in-the-wool old hippy feel like regurgitating also. As you have avoided replying to my main points, I am sure the sparks will fly on Wednesday. The only effect that my belief(or knowledge) about reincarnation has, is on myself. It has made me very careful when it come to kharma to the extent that I will not eat dead animals or knowingly kill or hurt anything that lives.Since I accepted the knowledge of these things I feel a whole lot better about myself and my life and I don't really care what anyone else believes or practices. One has to look after ones own kharma, nobody can do it for you.
    Perhaps I am labouring under a delusion, but I would rather be safe than sorry when this incarnation comes to an end and whatever happens, happens.