Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A God?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 46.34%
  • No

110 53.66%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in a God?

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    Sorry but your post brought this image to mind.
    Aye - and there's (or is that "theirs"??? ) many a time I feel like that

WBG

Oh dear, I answered yes, but maybe I should've answered no! Grammar is such a tricky subject!
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Quite a strong use of the word 'hate' Alan.

Instead of hating them, learn to love them-it'll annoy the hell out of them.
    Hate is just a word. The strength you choose to assign to it is up to you. If people want to say that they have sympathy for me, then I will say that I hate them, because I find it very very insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    You hate a lot of Christians do you? What does that make you? Do you actually comprehend how idiotic you sound. You IMHO need to grow up.
    I hate Christians that feel sympathy for me because I am an atheist. What that makes me does not bother me in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post
    The question was do you believe in A GOD? I voted no. Not a god. I believe in God, capital G and the one and only. The question didn't address that belief.

WBG
    Alan16

The above is the direct quote that you state does not require the capital G.

Res ipsa loquitur
    Read the quote again, then read my answer: Well it seems your god did not grant you the ability to answer questions properly. The question was "Do you believe in a god?" (note no capitalization is necessary their) and you have clearly said that you do. Whether you consider your god to be greater than that of the Hindi/Islamic/Jewish faith, doesn't matter: the answer is still yes. Do you believe in a god? Yes, you believe in the Christian god.

He tried to say that he voted no because the question referred to "a god", and he believed in "God". What my answer pointed out was that the question does address his belief. The question is I assume deliberately vague so as to allow all faiths to answer. He believes in a god, God (as he calls the being). What I said on capitalization stands.

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post
    Exodus 20:1 Thou shalt have no other gods before me

God is the only one true God.

Definition of a proper noun: nouns name people, places, and things. Every noun can further be classified as common or proper. A proper noun has two distinctive features: 1) it will name a specific, usually a one-of-a-kind, item, and 2) it will begin with a capital letter no matter where it occurs in a sentence.

Since God is the only one true God, the reference begins with a capital. Since the question considers other gods, the question in the same way references that they exist in order to believe in them. Since I believe in one true God, not any indiscriminant god, the question is therefore not relevant and I can't vote yes. Maybe one day your eyes will be opened to that.

Reference the term "grammar" - a wee lesson, "There" indicates a place as in, "I live here not there." It is the opposite of "here." "Their" is the possessive of "they", as in "They live there but it isn't their house."

WBG
    The question asked if you believed in a god. The question makes no proclamations about how many gods there are, or even if there is one, it is merely looking for your opinion. You believe in a god, the Christian god. So the answer to the question "Do you believe in a god?" is yes. You do. You believe in the god talked about in The Bible. The question does not consider other gods. The question considers other people's opinions on other gods. So you should have answered yes.

Oh, and if we want to be annoying about grammar mistakes, "indiscriminant"... Not a word. And anyway, I wasn't trying to be annoying in talking about the grammatical correctness of "god" and "God" - it was relevant to the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    Anyone else noticing the irony in the grammar lesson?
    Well done, I made a typo. Ten points for observation. Also, "noticing"? That seems like a grammatical error to me.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I must say, I admire the faith of the atheists here who believe in the religion of organic evolution.

It has no scientific foundation and requires blind faith in many, many aspects.

No proof of god anywhere. Bible doesnt like science and yet people still use this. Mind you i dont "religously celebrate" christmas. Its becoming more and more of a bank holiday. Also in regards to that you see no mention on Santa in the bible but yet hes more popular than jesus and in the eyes of kids, god.
    what goes around, comes around

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    I must say, I admire the faith of the atheists here who believe in the religion of organic evolution.

It has no scientific foundation and requires blind faith in many, many aspects.
    The theory of evolution is scientifically logical and sound. And I'll quote the man I'm listening to right now, as he sums up my opinion here very nicely: Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

i thought this was about DO YOU YOU BELIEVE IN A GOD?not a grammar lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    The theory of evolution is scientifically logical and sound. And I'll quote the man I'm listening to right now, as he sums up my opinion here very nicely: Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved.
    How about -

"The chance of life evolving anywhere in the [15,000,000,000 l-y radius] universe is equivalent to believing that a tornado sweeping through a junk yard would assemble a Boeing 747."

How about -

"The chance of life evolving anywhere in the [15,000,000,000 l-y radius] universe is equivalent to believing that a tornado sweeping through a junk yard would assemble a Boeing 747."
    You can through out these numbers if you want, but as a science student, I can tell you that there is evidence of evolution, and that most of the numbers brandished by the intelligent design bunch are extremely misleading.

How about -

Can you name a form of air transport that is simpler than a Boeing 747?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Can you name a form of air transport that is simpler than a Boeing 747?
    Yes, I can, but I do not understand your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    You can through out these numbers if you want, but as a science student, I can tell you that there is evidence of evolution, and that most of the numbers brandished by the intelligent design bunch are extremely misleading.
    You mean "throw" out, but the quotation is not mine, it is from Prof. Sir Fred Hoyle and Dr. Chandra Wickramasinghe, both atheists when they investigated this problem. Their conclusion? "There MUST be a God."

I do not and never have believed in any god whatever. The idea that something/one has any influence on the good bad and devasting events in anyones life is something I could/would never understand. Now as I deal with the loss of new (just over 2 years) husband whom I only knew for 5 years any belief in any god is further from being at all feasible in my head.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Quote Originally Posted by arana negra View Post
    I do not and never have believed in any god whatever. The idea that something/one has any influence on the good bad and devasting events in anyones life is something I could/would never understand. Now as I deal with the loss of new (just over 2 years) husband whom I only knew for 5 years any belief in any god is further from being at all feasible in my head.
    I have for as long as i can remember never believed in a god.
    I used to get sent out of religious education classes because i refused to have anything to do with them. When i lost my son i explained to the pastor or what ever you call them that before i went ahead with the funeral that he must know that i didn't believe and that my son had not been christened. I thought it was up to each of my children to decide when old enough what if any faith they wanted to be part of. My son did not get to decide this as he was only 12yrs when he died.Some might call me a hypocrite for having a church service for my son, but like i said he did not get the opportunity to choose for himself. I kept any prayers etc to a minimum and would not take part in them. So i can and do understand where you are coming from.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

So, is *god* a Boeing 747 with bad grammar then?

I don't really do religion but I love these kinds of religious "debates".
    There's a couple of good spin-off polls from this:
    Which is the Right religion.
    Which is the Best religion.
    (think about it)

(*insert your choice of name/phrase here)

Anyway, a smart tornado just picks the right junk yard:

Yes, I can, but I do not understand your point.
    I thought as much. The point is that you accept that there are intermediaries even with things that are designed.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 09-Nov-09 at 11:44.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Why should I believe in any form of god?

I have no interest what so ever of following any deity even if they did exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman View Post
    Oh dear, I answered yes, but maybe I should've answered no! Grammar is such a tricky subject!
    Ooops! I think I fell into that trap too.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I thought as much. The point is that you accept that there are intermediaries even with things that are designed.
    Well, instead of "thinking as much," it would have been nice for you to comprehend the quote, which, by the way, was not from me, but from two world-class, atheistic scientists.

The analogy with the 747 has nothing to do with missing links or evolution of design on an engineer's drawing board, it was actually about the possibility of simple molecules forming from inorganic material anywhere in the universe in 15,000,000,000 years.

You see, you cannot have the chicken without the egg, for when the chicken dies there will be no more chickens. It must have been complete from the outset.

So you cannot have the tornado first assembling a tail fin or a light housing and then waiting for the next tornado to come along. The point was that it has to be assembled at once - all bits working - as they were designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    So, is *god* a Boeing 747 with bad grammar then?
    Does that question have any intelligent design to it?

I don't really do religion but I love these kinds of religious "debates".
    There's a couple of good spin-off polls from this:
    Which is the Right religion.
    Which is the Best religion.
    (think about it)

(*insert your choice of name/phrase here)
    As I said earlier, we must not confuse God with religion.

Anyway, a smart tornado just picks the right junk yard:
    A smart tornado?

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast