Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A God?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 46.34%
  • No

110 53.66%
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in a God?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Nature cares not for what is potentially benefical. If it is beneficial then it is beneficial, if it's not then then it's not. There is nothing left to chance there.
    But a mutation can be of demonstrable benefit to the individual organism, and yet not be passed on as an evolutionary change simply because the individual organism fails to reproduce.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    Well the chances are he is referring to the Christian god. He wasn't talking about Hinduism as Hinduism has many gods; he probably isn't Muslim as most Muslims I know don't refer to "God", they refer to "Allah"; and living in Caithness as I think he does, he is probably not Jewish.

I don't know if that was aimed at me or not, but I was not intending to mock you or be an arse about your grammar, I was merely pointing out that WBG's insistence that god have a capital "g" is grammatically incorrect.
    No it was not aimed at you.

This just brought on a rant about certain people on here, who find great pleasure in pulling others down less fortunate than themselves in the brains department.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    But a mutation can be of demonstrable benefit to the individual organism, and yet not be passed on as an evolutionary change simply because the individual organism fails to reproduce.
    Your point falls down when you mentioned individual.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Default Do you believe in God

Yes I believe in God and have been a Christian for many years but respect those who don't really want to know and feel some sadness that they will never know the true meaning of peace!

If the god being referred to is God then capital G is required to be grammatically correct. At least according to the OED which has always been fairly authoritative.

Proper nouns and all that

Other gods don't require the capital as in other cases it is not a proper noun.
    A god is a thing. A concept. When referring to the Christian god I do not need to capitalize "god" because I am talking about an object - it's the same as if I am talking about the Christian teacup. I don't need to capitalize teacup. If, however, I say "Therefore God created man" the capitalization is necessary because I am using the word as a proper noun - I am talking about a person/being called "God". You're right, the OED is authoritative, but you still need to read it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoida View Post
    Yes I believe in God and have been a Christian for many years but respect those who don't really want to know and feel some sadness that they will never know the true meaning of peace!
    And this is why I hate a lot of Christians. Do you not comprehend how insulting you sound?
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

And this is why I hate a lot of Christians. Do you not comprehend how insulting you sound?
    You hate a lot of Christians do you? What does that make you? Do you actually comprehend how idiotic you sound. You IMHO need to grow up
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quite a strong use of the word 'hate' Alan.

Instead of hating them, learn to love them-it'll annoy the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoida View Post
    And what do you base this statement on please.

I'm never insulted by christians but I know that some christians are insulted by the progress towards secularism and evidence based rationality. Speaking for myself, I need good firm evidence for my beliefs. Nothing more basic than that. It is the difference between keeping your eyes wide openand walking around freely and that of looking through a prism with blinkers and wearing your chains for Christ.

Your point falls down when you mentioned individual.
    Any mutation that is of benefit to a species must be of benefit to the individual too.

Any mutation that is of benefit to a species must be of benefit to the individual too.
    So if an individual organism that carries a beneficial mutation is killed before it has the chance to reproduce means that the mutation is lost? What about the others that carry it that do survive and pass it on?

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post
    The question was do you believe in A GOD? I voted no. Not a god. I believe in God, capital G and the one and only. The question didn't address that belief.

WBG
    Alan16

The above is the direct quote that you state does not require the capital G.

Res ipsa loquitur

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Well it seems your god did not grant you the ability to answer questions properly. The question was "Do you believe in a god?" (note no capitalization is necessary their) and you have clearly said that you do. Whether you consider your god to be greater than that of the Hindi/Islamic/Jewish faith, doesn't matter: the answer is still yes. Do you believe in a god? Yes, you believe in the Christian god. (Ref capital G) ... Not needed. Grammar is an amazing thing. Capital "g" required their.
    Exodus 20:1 Thou shalt have no other gods before me

God is the only one true God.

Definition of a proper noun: nouns name people, places, and things. Every noun can further be classified as common or proper. A proper noun has two distinctive features: 1) it will name a specific, usually a one-of-a-kind, item, and 2) it will begin with a capital letter no matter where it occurs in a sentence.

Since God is the only one true God, the reference begins with a capital. Since the question considers other gods, the question in the same way references that they exist in order to believe in them. Since I believe in one true God, not any indiscriminant god, the question is therefore not relevant and I can't vote yes. Maybe one day your eyes will be opened to that.

Reference the term "grammar" - a wee lesson, "There" indicates a place as in, "I live here not there." It is the opposite of "here." "Their" is the possessive of "they", as in "They live there but it isn't their house."

WBG

So if an individual organism that carries a beneficial mutation is killed before it has the chance to reproduce means that the mutation is lost? What about the others that carry it that do survive and pass it on?
    If the mutation is unique to the individual, yes, so for example a mutation in say an elephant calf (almost unheard of to experience multiple births) then if the individual dies without reproducing then that potential benefit to the species will be lost.

If the mutation is in an organism in which the reproduction is on a larger scale - say a cod which is capable of producing millions of eggs in a single spawning then the odds of that mutation being lost are smaller, but not impossible.

Do you comprehend how insulting you sound when you a) fail to understand through your own lack of comprehension and b) teach me a lesson in grammar and fail to realise your own inabilities with the same subject matter?

People like you Alan16 fed people to the lions centuries ago. But you know what - here is the wonderful 11th commandment which, despite your hatred towards Christians, allows them to see past that - John 13:34

WBG

If the mutation is unique to the individual, yes, so for example a mutation in say an elephant calf (almost unheard of to experience multiple births) then if the individual dies without reproducing then that potential benefit to the species will be lost.
    And that mutation is lost because it wasn't causal to its survival. It just gets binned with all the rest, it wasn't beneficial. Like I said before, there is no potentially beneficial mutations there are only survivors and failures, winners and losers.

It is the difference between keeping your eyes wide open and walking around freely and that of looking through a prism with blinkers and wearing your chains for Christ.
    Sorry Rheggers, had to laugh at that one - wondered why I was slowing down in old age - chains getting heavier and all that !

WBG

Well it seems your god did not grant you the ability to answer questions properly. The question was "Do you believe in a god?" (note no capitalization is necessary their) and you have clearly said that you do. Whether you consider your god to be greater than that of the Hindi/Islamic/Jewish faith, doesn't matter: the answer is still yes. Do you believe in a god? Yes, you believe in the Christian god.

Not needed. Grammar is an amazing thing. Capital "g" required their.

Rheghead gave a very good reply, so I'm just going to simply say: no, you're wrong there.
    Anyone else noticing the irony in the grammar lesson?

Sorry Rheggers, had to laugh at that one - wondered why I was slowing down in old age - chains getting heavier and all that !

WBG
    Probably answers the observation of why the age of the typical cross section of congregation is of the older type. Last throes of doubt and desperation?

WBG
    Sorry but your post brought this image to mind.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast