Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A God?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 46.34%
  • No

110 53.66%
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in a God?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    It's a similar situation to Santa and the Tooth Fairy - they choose to believe because otherwise they may lose out on extra Christmas presents and tooth money!
    Different carrot and stick with religion, them being everlasting life or eternal damnation, what a mind job!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post
    The question was do you believe in A GOD? I voted no. Not a god. I believe in God, capital G and the one and only. The question didn't address that belief.

WBG
    Ok then.
    I do not believe in a god or god does that clear things up for you.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    That isn't entirely true. There is "chance" and "accident" involved in evolution, but precisely what you said in your last sentence shows that it isn't simply "chance" and "accident". Survival of the fittest. That isn't "chance".
    The survival of the fittest is all about chance.

The chance of a particular mutation occurring in the right location at the right time to enable the owner of that changed characteristic the chance to survive. There are so many imponderables that all survival of any living organism is a totally random chance.

Far more organisms die without reproducing than ever survive to pass on their unique genes.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post

The chance of a particular mutation occurring in the right location at the right time to enable the owner of that changed characteristic the chance to survive. There are so many imponderables that all survival of any living organism is a totally random chance.

Far more organisms die without reproducing than ever survive to pass on their unique genes.
    There is nothing about natural selection that involves chance. If the mutation (that occurs randomly) contributes to the survival of the species then the mutation will be passed on, it is as simple as that.

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    Ok then.
    I do not believe in a god or god does that clear things up for you.
    Nah - you missed out the capital G.

WBG

Yes, I believe in God.

WBG
    Seen as i do not believe in either it does not warrant a capital G

God and religion go together. I'm not a religious person but the only one that comes close is humainism. Even that i do not fully agree with as i do believe that there is life after death as i have sensed spirits and know that some people when they die become stuck/tied to the earth. But that is a diferent topic
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Yes I am a believer, but have had problems with family members who are christians of the born again type and feel the need to thrust their beliefs down everyones throats, like it or lump it. I tell them in order to be born again one must have lost their faith, and I never have, although it has been tried to distraction many times in my life.

"attending church doesn`t make one a Christian, any more than standing in a garage would make one a car".
    Agree with u ,poppet...well said.

The question was do you believe in A GOD? I voted no. Not a god. I believe in God, capital G and the one and only. The question didn't address that belief.

WBG
    Well it seems your god did not grant you the ability to answer questions properly. The question was "Do you believe in a god?" (note no capitalization is necessary their) and you have clearly said that you do. Whether you consider your god to be greater than that of the Hindi/Islamic/Jewish faith, doesn't matter: the answer is still yes. Do you believe in a god? Yes, you believe in the Christian god.

WBG
    Not needed. Grammar is an amazing thing. Capital "g" required their.

Rheghead gave a very good reply, so I'm just going to simply say: no, you're wrong there.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Seen as i do not believe in either it does not warrant a capital G
    It's really not about belief, it's more a matter of grammatical correctness.
    Last edited by Alan16; 08-Nov-09 at 20:30. Reason: missed the "not"
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

No I don't believe in God.My mothers family were close and loving.My Dads family were church goers,I was baptised outwith my mothers wishes.My Dad left us,he's dead and not remembered.His God has got him now so he will be alright.I won't criticise peoples faith for that is for the individual.For me I have a close and loving family,I'm happy.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Well it seems your god did not grant you the ability to answer questions properly. The question was "Do you believe in a god?" (note no capitalization is necessary their) and you have clearly said that you do. Whether you consider your god to be greater than that of the Hindi/Islamic/Jewish faith, doesn't matter: the answer is still yes. Do you believe in a god? Yes, you believe in the Christian god.
    What, O first year student of Physics, made you think WBG believes in a Christian God?......
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

It's really about belief, it's more a matter of grammatical correctness.
    If i dot not recognise a god, then whether it is grammatically correct or not does not matter to me.

I do know that all names begin with a capital letter.

There are far too many people on the Org who are too quick to pick others up on there ability to spell. There are a lot of people out there who cannot, as they are either dyslexic or just cannot read or spell at all, or not very well.

Sorry for going off subject, but this type of thing has been getting on my nerves for quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    There is nothing about natural selection that involves chance. If the mutation (that occurs randomly) contributes to the survival of the species then the mutation will be passed on, it is as simple as that.
    I'm not disputing that a mutation that contributes to the survival of the species will be passed - if the organism lives to reproduce.

I am simply stating that many more potentially beneficial mutations die out without being passed on to future generations because the individual organism with the mutation dies before reproducing. That is down to random chance, struck be lightning, eaten by a predator, die of disease, take your pick. I don't have a copy of The Origin of Species to hand, but I do remember that Darwin makes just that point.

So the statement that evolution is down to chance is equally as true as the statement that it is not. It simply depends upon the scale of the picture you choose to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Natural selection is about survival.

But the chance production of a new organism and its unfolding to see if it is viable is what evolution is really about. Survival of a new fittest is only possible because of the chance mutation of a gene.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    What, O first year student of Physics, made you think WBG believes in a Christian God?......
    Well the chances are he is referring to the Christian god. He wasn't talking about Hinduism as Hinduism has many gods; he probably isn't Muslim as most Muslims I know don't refer to "God", they refer to "Allah"; and living in Caithness as I think he does, he is probably not Jewish.

If i dot not recognise a god, then whether it is grammatically correct or not does not matter to me.

I do know that all names begin with a capital letter.

There are far too many people on the Org who are too quick to pick others up on there ability to spell. There are a lot of people out there who cannot, as they are either dyslexic or just cannot read or spell at all, or not very well.

Sorry for going off subject, but this type of thing has been getting on my nerves for quite some time now.
    I don't know if that was aimed at me or not, but I was not intending to mock you or be an arse about your grammar, I was merely pointing out that WBG's insistence that god have a capital "g" is grammatically incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Natural selection is about survival.

But the chance production of a new organism and its unfolding to see if it is viable is what evolution is really about. Survival of a new fittest is only possible because of the chance mutation of a gene.
    There is no 'chance' production of new organisms, mutations do occur, that is a certainty. Where and when they are occur in DNA is a random event.

I am simply stating that many more potentially beneficial mutations die out without being passed on to future generations because the individual organism with the mutation dies before reproducing.
    Nature cares not for what is potentially benefical. If it is beneficial then it is beneficial, if it's not then then it's not. There is nothing left to chance there.

If I'll only make you a cup of tea if you can throw a double 6 with some dice and you can have as many throws as you want. I think you'll find that it is a certainty that you will get your cuppa.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 08-Nov-09 at 20:47.

If the god being referred to is God then capital G is required to be grammatically correct. At least according to the OED which has always been fairly authoritative.

Proper nouns and all that

Other gods don't require the capital as in other cases it is not a proper noun.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast