Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A God?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 46.34%
  • No

110 53.66%
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: Do You Believe in a God?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Well we could get rid of a few witches on the org.
    hey....!!! most offended
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Is that as in a team which only corroborates your personal opinion.
    Why the confused look? Did my posts go over your head?

If you look at the current state of this world, it doesn't take an educated genius to see that we're all fighting against each other. So if we worked as a team, rather than fighting, we'd see an improvement.

Plus by working as a team, that means that you have to be open minded to different opinions & theories etc. etc. You'd certainly be in the "B-team"...
    Greed & Competition aren't the result of immutable human temperament, greed & fear of scarcity have being created & amplified. Consequently, we've got to fight with each other in order to survive!

In order to work together as a harmonious team, religion and money, amongst other things, would need to be removed from everyones equation. Even then it would be virtually impossible to do because you'd still need leaders and structure and, as the saying goes, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

It'll take something profound and immediate to unite mankind into working together as one, and to remind us we can be individuals as well as part of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio12thNov View Post
    If you look at the current state of this world, it doesn't take an educated genius to see that we're all fighting against each other. So if we worked as a team, rather than fighting, we'd see an improvement.
    We'd see an improvement by the rejection of all belief systems and pursuing a life of secularism. Science is starting to unite humanity since it is the only thing that is based on what can be seen and corroborated. Faith can't do that as being faithful to God is having the ultimate closed mind.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    In order to work together as a harmonious team, religion and money, amongst other things, would need to be removed from everyones equation. Even then it would be virtually impossible to do because you'd still need leaders and structure and, as the saying goes, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

It'll take something profound and immediate to unite mankind into working together as one, and to remind us we can be individuals as well as part of the human race.
    Exactly. Religion, Government, Banks & Media need to be removed from society altogether. & yes we need structure, & a leader to follow, but we follow God, & God's Sun.

Power certainly corrupts, but who says any of us need power in order to survive? Working as a harmonius team however, without religion, governments, banks & the media & so forth, will see a happier, more peaceful environment.

A New Age Hippy - all joking aside, but we need to be free, free from this jail we're all locked up in...
    Greed & Competition aren't the result of immutable human temperament, greed & fear of scarcity have being created & amplified. Consequently, we've got to fight with each other in order to survive!

I dont accept we don't work together. The human race would not exist as conscious humans without cooperation between individuals and nations. Conflict is as mich a part of human experience as is art or religion or science. Maybe someday we will evolve that particular trait out of our psyche but pretending its not an integral part of human experience is niave.

We'd see an improvement by the rejection of all belief systems and pursuing a life of secularism. Science is starting to unite humanity since it is the only thing that is based on what can be seen and corroborated. Faith can't do that as being faithful to God is having the ultimate closed mind.
    Exactly, we need to be free from this control we are all under. We need to be able to use our minds to the maximum & learn the truth about our foundations. As most of us now know, we've been spoon fed lies from every direction for thousands of years...

& with science, we've proved we don't need religion or government, as they've nothing to do with science. In retrospect, if humans were to stand up for what they believed in & fought against the controlling powers, I reckon we'd certainly win! We are powerful, we are beautiful, & we are capable of doing incredibly wonderful things...

If we were to live by the Bible that would not make this world a better place.
    We bang on about beleiving in God, etc, etc.
    Most don't even beleive in themselves.
    We use Drink and drugs as an excuse, instead of taking responsibility for our actions.
    No offence to any religion, each to their own.
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Default re-who believes

Yes i too believe in God.
    mo

& with science, we've proved we don't need religion or government, as they've nothing to do with science.
    Are you saying that you desire to replace man-made socio-political structures (religion, banks, media, government, etc) with another man-made structure (science)?

If so, why would this structure be any different from the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    Are you saying that you desire to replace man-made socio-political structures (religion, banks, media, government, etc) with another man-made structure (science)?

If so, why would this structure be any different from the others?
    Science isn't man made, it's natural for humans to invent things in order to make their lifes easier. Learning is science, thinking is science...therefore science isn't a man-made structure.

Science isn't man made, it's natural for humans to invent things in order to make their lifes easier. Learning is science, thinking is science...therefore science isn't a man-made structure.
    Well, we have seen with the global warming fiasco that scientists devise ways to keep views that are contrary to the ones they are promoting out of the science journals. That they hide data that conflicts with their model and that they promote themselves as gods and saviours.

Do you think that there is a difference between learning something and knowing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    Well, we have seen with the global warming fiasco that scientists devise ways to keep views that are contrary to the ones they are promoting out of the science journals. That they hide data that conflicts with their model and that they promote themselves as gods and saviours.

Do you think that there is a difference between learning something and knowing something?
    Scientists have spoke of global pollution for years, it's only this last few years they've spoke of global warming. Now the Government is making millions from it. So are they getting made to say it?

& who hides the information from these journals? If a scientist was to make a groundbreaking discovery, you'd think he'd be bragging it around the place. But, the men behind the curtain only want us knowin particular bits of information.

Do I think there's a difference between learning something, & knowing something? Well, you need to learn before you know...

Science cant unite Science let alone humanity, the divisions between objective qualitative data and subjective quantitative rages in the grey recesses of advancement.

However science is no more than a system of belief formed upon concept that may as it did in Darwins case led us down in-correct pathways until knowledge can prove otherwise. Theory is only as good as the limitations of inquiry.

From a concept I formed a theory and I formed my methods of testing and my measures of reliability and validity and yet without the concept (which cant be tested) the extension of scientific knowledge cannot progress.

Concept is an idea, not always black and white, if you believe only in black and white, progress in science will never happen.

Back tomorrow

Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

I disagree. I think that being faithful to God is the ultimate open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    What limits of probability do you place on the existence of God? I've read Richard Dawkins works and he says there is a miniscule probability. But to come to a rational decision you've got to weigh up the evidence from all directions and come to a conclusion.

If you come from a pantheistic stand point then there is no way of making any progress between this discussion as a pantheist says God created the Universe and let it run on and on long after he walked away disinterested in his work.

As for a loving Christian God who looks over us and welcomes us when we enter the afterlife and we spend eternity at his feet being comforted, then forget all that rubbish.

What limits of probability do you place on the existence of God? I've read Richard Dawkins works and he says there is a miniscule probability. But to come to a rational decision you've got to weigh up the evidence from all directions and come to a conclusion.

If you come from a pantheistic stand point then there is no way of making any progress between this discussion as a pantheist says God created the Universe and let it run on and on long after he walked away disinterested in his work.

As for a loving Christian God who looks over us and welcomes us when we enter the afterlife and we spend eternity at his feet being comforted, then forget all that rubbish.
    I think that you have made my point. 'Rational' implies a well defined set of parameters which the mind can comprehend. That little box called rationality suggests the opposite of an open mind.

An open mind towards God means that you don't have to buy into the portrait which you paint of the afterlife. That is a picture created by one rational mind trying to explain earth bound ideas. I think that there is far more to it than that.

I think that you have made my point. 'Rational' implies a well defined set of parameters which the mind can comprehend. That little box called rationality suggests the opposite of an open mind.

An open mind towards God means that you don't have to buy into the portrait which you paint of the afterlife. That is a picture created by one rational mind trying to explain earth bound ideas. I think that there is far more to it than that.
    Well by your reasoning, Richard Dawkins has an closed mind? There is a difference between closed-mindedness and inductive reasoning.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 22-Dec-09 at 22:13.

Being 'faithful' to one idea, cause, or line of reasoning, could be a good indicator of a closed mind, Canuck.

I have 'faith' in the reasoning that there is no diety or supreme being that takes an active interest in - or cares about - humankind.

So we both have 'faith', yet we both cannot be right. So therefore faith is not a realistic indicator of truth or an open mind. It merely shows that we have the capability to believe in something that is questioned by others.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728