Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A God?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 46.34%
  • No

110 53.66%
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in a God?

Don't believe in god. i went to sunday school and know the christain stories but i choose not to believe in it and take it as gospel.

Too much of life is to chance and opportiunitys. The biggest factor of being a non-believer is that how would a god let someone suffer the way my dad did.

I had a interesting discussion with a friend that believes that we are the way we are through genes. i think we are the way we are through genes, the environment we grow up in and life experiences. i've had a few expereinces that have changed me.

I don't think god and religion have much place in how we live our lives now. It's how we live our life that counts not what religion we follow.

But then again thats not what you were asking!
    Last edited by Vistravi; 08-Nov-09 at 00:01.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

No, it's an utterly ridiculous concept

I believe God is the Sun. With it's energy, we are who we are today. Without it's energy, we're nothing...
    Greed & Competition aren't the result of immutable human temperament, greed & fear of scarcity have being created & amplified. Consequently, we've got to fight with each other in order to survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    I don't think god and religion have much place in how we live our lives now. It's how we live our life that counts not what religion we follow.
    Have to agree. Like many here I'm not a believer myself but have no problem with others if they choose to believe, so long as they don't try and preach their beliefs to me.

I'm also against religion being 'forced' upon todays youngsters - school services (no real choice but to attend), Cub Scouts (part & parcel if they want to enjoy the rest on offer) etc. IMO most are too young to understand what religion is about. My two have questioned why I don't believe, yet when I ask them if they do they are undecided. It's a similar situation to Santa and the Tooth Fairy - they choose to believe because otherwise they may lose out on extra Christmas presents and tooth money!

Yes I am a believer, but have had problems with family members who are christians of the born again type and feel the need to thrust their beliefs down everyones throats, like it or lump it. I tell them in order to be born again one must have lost their faith, and I never have, although it has been tried to distraction many times in my life.

"attending church doesn`t make one a Christian, any more than standing in a garage would make one a car".
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

i love your post poppet! going to church does not make you a Christian..in fact some of the most unchristian people i have ever met were the most upstanding of church goers! *G*
    faith is simply that.. faith.
    although, i have been baptised and saved, ive never lost my faith either.
    however, i am raising my children to believe in God, and as they grow older if they decided dif. while i will be upset, what can you do?
    anyway, getting off subject... personally, ive stood in many garages.. even slept in one once in my youth.. but nope never turned into a car!
    http://itqueries.com/

I do not believe in a god. Such a belief is completely illogical.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Religion. Giving people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    People can delude themselves with the illusion of hope, but at the end of the day it's still an illusion.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    It's a similar situation to Santa and the Tooth Fairy - they choose to believe because otherwise they may lose out on extra Christmas presents and tooth money!
    Santa and the Tooth Fairy are real though!!! Santa is a nice guy. I still get presents from him, fair enough his writing is very similar to my mums but im 21 years old and i still believe!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Great posts brandy,just a straight forward yes for me though.

i dont believe although i would really like to think there is something more i certainly dont believe in the christian view of God. I dont mind if people are religious or not but what really gets on my nerves is religious people who gurn because people have a go at them for believing in God and then turn round and have a go at me because i dont believe i mean hypocryts or what.
    horses are more than just a hobby they're a way of life!

I believe in Nature.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    By God, I mean conscious or at one point conscious higher power who created life on this planet and has any interest in the human race, and that can punish or reward humans based on their moral choices.

Dont ask for a Dont Know option, if you are unsure as to the existence of a God then you have no belief in it, therefore no.
    You've offered an interesting definition of God. Following what you have said I have to vote 'no', I don't believe in that kind of god. As a Christian for me God in not a punisher or rewarder of adherence to a moral code.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    I agree with you, but i cant stand it when people dont get their facts right. i got a leaflet from the Jehovas Witnesses saying evolution was "chance" and "an accident". Shame I wasnt there at the time they delivered it.
    I think that you must have mis-understood something. Evolution is just that: 'chance' and 'accident'. It is by chance or by accident that genes don't replicate properly and end up producing a new form of organizism in the offspring. If this subsequent generation survives better than the parent then the species keeps going.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I believe in Nature.
    Oh Crayola......have you just admitted you are really a Cabbage Patch Doll
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I think that you must have mis-understood something. Evolution is just that: 'chance' and 'accident'. It is by chance or by accident that genes don't replicate properly and end up producing a new form of organizism in the offspring. If this subsequent generation survives better than the parent then the species keeps going.
    Sorry should've said that it said in the leaflet that there was a slim chance, highly unlikely. The truth is that it happens frequently, not rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    The question was about God, not religion. Religion is a man-made method of dividing people.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    That isn't entirely true. There is "chance" and "accident" involved in evolution, but precisely what you said in your last sentence shows that it isn't simply "chance" and "accident". Survival of the fittest. That isn't "chance".

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    No i don't believe in god.
    The question was do you believe in A GOD? I voted no. Not a god. I believe in God, capital G and the one and only. The question didn't address that belief.

WBG

The question was weighted, but I think that you should have voted yes all the same.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast