Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A God?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 46.34%
  • No

110 53.66%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in a God?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do You Believe in a God?

By God, I mean conscious or at one point conscious higher power who created life on this planet and has any interest in the human race, and that can punish or reward humans based on their moral choices.

Dont ask for a Dont Know option, if you are unsure as to the existence of a God then you have no belief in it, therefore no.

No i don't believe in god.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Its a big no from me! But i dont judge people who do. My mum is christian and 2 of her sisters are Ministers. My OH's family are religous too but he isn't.

If people do believe in God then thats ok, but i just dont.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Its a big no from me! But i dont judge people who do. My mum is christian and 2 of her sisters are Ministers. My OH's family are religous too but he isn't.

I am the same each to their own. As long as i am not preached to.
    The thing that really gets on my nerves is when you get people knocking at your door preaching.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Default God believes in you....

Yes I believe in God

I have The Lord Jesus Christ in my life for now and forever and, for that, I'm grateful.

I know of a few people on here, who know my real name (so obviously know me as a person) and I could well imagine their reaction to my post. ! ! ! ! I think it may give them something to talk about come Monday morning at work ............ eh ??

As previously said though, on this thread, everyone to themselves, and everyone is more than entitled to an opinion of their own.....

If you do or if you don't have a Faith (of any kind ??) - I've no bother with either - cos I ain't gonna start preaching; so dinna worry !!!

I treat people the way I find them, and how they treat me and mine back in return is what counts, not what their religion may or may not be - kindness, in my book, is what we should base others on.

God Bless X

Quote Originally Posted by Iffy View Post
    I have The Lord Jesus Christ in my life for now and forever and, for that, I'm grateful.

As previously said though, on this thread, everyone to themselves, and everyone is more than entitled to an opinion of their own.....

If you do or if you don't have a Faith (of any kind ??) - I've no bother with either - cos I ain't gonna start preaching; so dinna worry !!!

I treat people the way I find them, and how they treat me and mine back in return is what counts, not what their religion may or may not be - kindness, in my book, is what we should base others on.

God Bless X
    perhaps Jesus was the John Lennon or Bob Dylan of his day...a bit of a Hippie
    Keep it country

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post

I agree with you, but i cant stand it when people dont get their facts right. i got a leaflet from the Jehovas Witnesses saying evolution was "chance" and "an accident". Shame I wasnt there at the time they delivered it.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    I agree with you, but i cant stand it when people dont get their facts right. i got a leaflet from the Jehovas Witnesses saying evolution was "chance" and "an accident". Shame I wasnt there at the time they delivered it.
    They came to my door earlier this year. I told them i wasnt interested, they still didnt leave. I went to close the door as i was in the middle of changing my sons nappy and they put their foot in the door. They soon ran off when my OH came down the stairs!

I also dont like when people try to "force" their beliefs on me. If i wanted to believe something i would do it on my own free will!

My religion is legally actually classed as "Jedi"
    Last edited by ShelleyCowie; 07-Nov-09 at 23:16. Reason: spelling!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

[quote=ShelleyBain;617641]They came to my door earlier this year. I told them i wasnt interested, they still didnt leave. I went to close the door as i was in the middle of changing my sons nappy and they put their foot in the door. They soon ran off when my OH came down the stairs!

I also dont like when people try to "force" their beliefs on me. If i wanted to believe something i would do it on my own free will!

My religion is legally actually classed as "Jedi" [/quote
    ]My religion is legally actually classed as "Jedi"

You have been watching question time haven't you.

no i do not

Yes, I believe in God.

Perhaps you could quote some of the facts from the JW leaflet that you think are wrong? Along these lines, there was a creation v evolution talk in Wick Baptist Church last winter which covered a lot of this material.

I'm a believer
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    Perhaps you could quote some of the facts from the JW leaflet that you think are wrong?
    Binned the leaflet a while ago, but the general jist of it was that evolution is a chance process, which is untrue. Quite clearly, an animal will adapt it's body to it's surroundings to make itself actually survive. Not chance at all.

Default P/s !!!

Oh, by the way, I'm not, a Jehovvah's Witness !! (Good greif, I canna spell hid anyway, even if I were one !!!! )

I'm a Protestant, of the Christian variety, and proud o' it too !!!!

By God, I mean conscious or at one point conscious higher power who created life on this planet and has any interest in the human race, and that can punish or reward humans based on their moral choices.

Dont ask for a Dont Know option, if you are unsure as to the existence of a God then you have no belief in it, therefore no.
    You've offered an interesting definition of God. Following what you have said I have to vote 'no', I don't believe in that kind of god. As a Christian for me God in not a punisher or rewarder of adherence to a moral code.

I think that you must have mis-understood something. Evolution is just that: 'chance' and 'accident'. It is by chance or by accident that genes don't replicate properly and end up producing a new form of organizism in the offspring. If this subsequent generation survives better than the parent then the species keeps going.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I think that you must have mis-understood something. Evolution is just that: 'chance' and 'accident'. It is by chance or by accident that genes don't replicate properly and end up producing a new form of organizism in the offspring. If this subsequent generation survives better than the parent then the species keeps going.
    Sorry should've said that it said in the leaflet that there was a slim chance, highly unlikely. The truth is that it happens frequently, not rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    That isn't entirely true. There is "chance" and "accident" involved in evolution, but precisely what you said in your last sentence shows that it isn't simply "chance" and "accident". Survival of the fittest. That isn't "chance".
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I am curious what part of evolution was not a chance and an accident, you not going to surely suggest it was a planned process?

It is also a very one sided abusive of scientific knowledge to suggest that the research does anything to suggest the JW version has any validity either. I am very busy so it might be a day or two for a response.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

Okay:

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I hope you understand the irony of that statement
    Yeah I was going to make that point but just left it.

Do you mean in the way that the idea of organic evolution is forced upon children in schools?
    Creation myths can not be taught in a science classroom, none conform to sciences principles. That being said what makes one creation myth more valid that the others - In addition to religious views, should the Raelian opinion also be taught.

I am interested in the basis for this opinion. It may be right or wrong, but why do you consider it when you have made clear that you do not believe in God anyway?
    I never said I believed in Thor, was just stating a point.

Not all Christians tell their children about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Jehovah's Witnesses, for instance, do not. Nor do Muslims, nor Sikhs, nor Jews,

Yes, this is perfectly true.
    Yeah it isn't the best point but I was replying to an argument where the original was flawed, as it just annoyed me. Also FYI Muslims, Sikhs, nor Jews are Christian so I wouldn't expect them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcomefamily View Post
    I am curious what part of evolution was not a chance and an accident, you not going to surely suggest it was a planned process?

It is also a very one sided abusive of scientific knowledge to suggest that the research does anything to suggest the JW version has any validity either. I am very busy so it might be a day or two for a response.
    This is a fundamental Creationist/post-modern relativist misunderstanding, its not evolution via random chance but via natural selection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast