Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highland Seal Hospital and BDMLR xmas fayre

Default Highland Seal Hospital and BDMLR xmas fayre

Just to let you all know there will be a xmas fayre in the sea cadet hall in Thurso on 28th November from 12-3pm.Lots to see and do,baking stalls,paint your own decorations,dog and cat treats,soft toys and much more!Also there will be trained medics there to show people what we do and why we do it so come along and have a great day with us!Teas,coffees etc as well x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Forgot to say admission is free so please come along and support a very worthy local charity x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Just had a look through all the merchandise that will be for sale on the day,there are some lovely items and some great stocking fillers!The will also be a couple of stands that are not related to the BDMLR but have kindly given us a donation to have a stall,there is a party planner and a handbag stall x

Really looking forward to taking part and such a good cause too.

Hope to see everyone there

Kxx

what's the big thing with saving seals (creating hospitals and sanctuaries and wasting money when it could be spent on better causes) they are not in any way endangered in fact they are a pest and a problem for a lot of fishermen
    why cant you not let them get on with their lives as nature intended instead of puting them under stress with your so called rescues

Default seals

Quote Originally Posted by whaligoechiel View Post
    what's the big thing with saving seals (creating hospitals and sanctuaries and wasting money when it could be spent on better causes) they are not in any way endangered in fact they are a pest and a problem for a lot of fishermen
    why cant you not let them get on with their lives as nature intended instead of puting them under stress with your so called rescues
    This is your opinion in which your intitled to have personally i think its a great idea could you answer me one question you said that the seals are a pest but then you seemed to be concerned that they are under stress whaligoechiel

surely they are under stress when removed from their own environment and supposedly rescued (when most if left alone will survive) then taken into an enclosure and force fed, shipped onto an airplane or some other transport to another strange place
    surely that must cause stress
    again that's my opinion
    but what is the point of this seal rescue momentum that is going on at the moment they have survived being hunted and their bodies,used for human consumption and clothing since time immoral and still they are not in any danger of extinction
    I just think of the waste of money for realy nothing there surely many more worthy causes where you could give your hard earned cash
    Last edited by whaligoechiel; 10-Nov-09 at 16:29.

can someone explain to me why seals need to be saved
    is it because they have big round eyes and look like they would give you a big slobbery kiss like a puppy, truth is they would bite you as they are wild animals and are terrified
    as I keep saying they are not endangered

This thread is about a christmas fayre and I would thank you not to hijack it.x
    Last edited by Thumper; 11-Nov-09 at 13:17.

Hi Whaligoechiel, I think this thread was started to let people know about a fundraising event for a local charity and not as a voicebox for you to decide how deserving or worth while the charity is. If you want to have the debate over whether or not seals should be rescued you should start your own thread instead of highjacking someone elses while they are trying raise awareness of an event being held to raise money for a charity that lots people support.

Hope the Christmas fayre goes well and you raise lots of money! I will certainly try to get along if im not working x

Default Highland Seal Hospital and BDMLR xmas fayre

sorry thumper but what is a Highland seal Hospital if it is not for rescuing seals?
    any way wont be there

Probably more times than not, the seals are in distress because of the actions of humans so why should caring humans not intervene to reduce suffering? It’s called compassion. Hats off to you all, I hope your Fayre is a roaring success. Keep up the good work!

Margaret
    came into work one day and there was an appeal through E-mail for blankets
    OK I thought there must have been a major disaster
    no such thing it was a couple who found a seal pup on its own and to there best intension's went and "rescued " the said pup
    they then set off to other Goes and beaches and found more abandoned pups
    Mothers do not abandon their baby's it is human intervention that causes the problem

Default Xmas Fayre

Sounds like it'll be fun. I'll certainly be helping on the day. Really looking forward to it and finding out what these guys do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    This thread is about a christmas farye and I would thank you not to hijack it.x
    Well said thumper,will try and get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    Probably more times than not, the seals are in distress because of the actions of humans so why should caring humans not intervene to reduce suffering? It’s called compassion. Hats off to you all, I hope your Fayre is a roaring success. Keep up the good work!
    Well said Margaret and completely agree with you.

whaligoechiel I assume that you don't think any wild animal should be rescued and cared for then? The people who rescue the seals have the skills to keep stress to a minimum and it is better than letting the poor animal either starve to death or die a long lingering death due to illness or injury.

I admire the work of Highland Seal Hospital, BDMR and any others who have the compassion to care for the animals we share this planet with.

Hope the sale goes well Thumper and if I can't make it I will give a donation.

Thank you Liz that is very kind of you,and thank you also for your very wise words on this subject x

Please someone tell me why it is so important to save seals
    I am sure the ones who are responding to this post have their hearts in the right place but surely the amount of time and money that is wasted on a cause that in reality doesn't exist
    Of all my 61 years living in Caithness I don't think that I have seen many seals with their ribs showing through their skin and starving
    Why don't you have your Xmas fare for a proper hospital and help the millions of starving and sick people/children that really would appreciate your help

I am sure the ones who are responding to this post have their hearts in the right place but surely the amount of time and money that is wasted on a cause that in reality doesn't exist
    Of all my 61 years living in Caithness I don't think that I have seen many seals with their ribs showing through their skin and starving
    Why don't you have your Xmas fare for a proper hospital and help the millions of starving and sick people/children that really would appreciate your help
    How many Xmas fayres have you organised for such 'worthwhile charities'?

I hope the Xmas fayre for the seals is a huge success.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I will not be drawn into an arguement about this subject-all i will say is that you are very lucky if you havent seen seals with their ribs showing,I for one have seen more than I care to!I have not attacked what you do so why do you feel you can persucute what we do?Everyone is entitled to an opinion but why to you insist on trying to belittle the work we do!Oh and for the record its NOT just seals we do,its turtles,dolphins,whales,otters infact the list is endless and we do it without ANY goverment funding.If you care to know more then why not contact the Scottish co-ordinator I am sure he would be more than happy to answer your questions.I will not be replying to any more "baiting" and will make use of the ignore function in future.Now pleas leave this thread to do what it was intended to do-allow people who are interested in what we do to come along and support us!x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast