Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Caithness changing?

Default Is Caithness changing?

Is it just me or do ye think that there is a really good buzz,high,whatever you want to call it going around Caithness just now.All the new shops in Wick,Asda's going to Thurso.

I have been up in the Far North for 13 years now,I must admit the county is holding its own.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

There`s definately something brewing, but is there going to be anything for my grandchildren to do? All these shops is magic, but remember the kids

is it just the south slowly creeping northward's. is it going to bring the problem's with it ie drug's. violence and crime to the extent they have down south. only time will tell!!!!!!!!!!

Agree totally with you Mamabear.Its in all my days in Wick and visits through Caithness,we used to rely on Inverness to get bits and bobs we couldn't get,but it is now all starting to be here right on our doorsteps.It ain't looking to bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs Billy Boy
    is it just the south slowly creeping northward's. is it going to bring the problem's with it ie drug's. violence and crime to the extent they have down south. only time will tell!!!!!!!!!!
    Homebase can supply all your D.I.Y chores Billy Boy,I don't know what their price is for hash though?

Default is caithness changing

Seems Edinburgh Woollen Mill is also going to one of the Units on the South Road.

Have lived in a few places during the years and the Edinburgh Woolen Mill,aye its usully a wee bit more expensive,but its a big hit with our tourists.If its bringing folk to Caithness,it'll only be good for the county.

Ah, but apart from DIY, shampoo and teenagers clothes, those of us, of a certain age need a little more from the new shops to make life just that tad more worthwhile. Wetherspoons is a step in the right direction- not a pub or a cafe but the right kind of blend of the two. As well as new shops Caithness needs to go a little upmarket. So how about a branch of Outfit, or Next for the middle aged middle class people who have to wear suits for work? I admit to using the Next Directory- along with the rest of the county- but I'm never there when the courier comes along, and I keep having to fish my stuff out of a shed that does not belong to me. A local store would be useful.

But it is use it or lose it- and the shops will stay only as long as the tills are ringing.
    Bagpuss

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Homebase can supply all your D.I.Y chores Billy Boy,I don't know what their price is for hash though?
    when im there pricing the hash i will check out the price's the for a balaclava and boltcutter's

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss
    Ah, but apart from DIY, shampoo and teenagers clothes, those of us, of a certain age need a little more from the new shops to make life just that tad more worthwhile. Wetherspoons is a step in the right direction- not a pub or a cafe but the right kind of blend of the two. As well as new shops Caithness needs to go a little upmarket. So how about a branch of Outfit, or Next for the middle aged middle class people who have to wear suits for work? I admit to using the Next Directory- along with the rest of the county- but I'm never there when the courier comes along, and I keep having to fish my stuff out of a shed that does not belong to me. A local store would be useful.

But it is use it or lose it- and the shops will stay only as long as the tills are ringing.
    Wetherspoons was the start to it.Now its a part o' the town.Now all these other 'big names' have arrived,and they will all blend in.For years this county has had very little,now its all happening and all I can say is..........enjoy.Because I belong from a town in Ayrshire,the same size as most places in Caithness,which shop whys has nothing.

Cool

Next would be ace,Hmv as well & Anne Summers, skip the edinburgh shop, its not trendy enough for the Royal burgh of W.K

Ayrshire is an easy commute to Glasgow- which is possibly why they have fewer shops.

Fine- bring on the other shops and the jobs to ensure the economy remains bouyant- and the property owners among us can watch as our investments grow nicely.

I'm not against new shops- and I love Wetherspoons- mainly because it has brought people into the centre- and thus saved the other businesses. Word of caution though the Starbucks/Borders coffee shops franchise that people like me would have liked would actually have kept people out at the retail park and killed the town, so perhaps having a tourist trap like Edinburgh Woolen Mill isn't such a bad idea. So what about the shops we would not want to see in the new development- any advances on the following:

A big branch of the pet shop that's in Inverness retail park?
    A golf emporiium?
    Blockbusters video?
    Bagpuss

Ayrshire is an easy commute to Glasgow- which is possibly why they have fewer shops.

Fine- bring on the other shops and the jobs to ensure the economy remains bouyant- and the property owners among us can watch as our investments grow nicely.

I'm not against new shops- and I love Wetherspoons- mainly because it has brought people into the centre- and thus saved the other businesses. Word of caution though the Starbucks/Borders coffee shops franchise that people like me would have liked would actually have kept people out at the retail park and killed the town, so perhaps having a tourist trap like Edinburgh Woolen Mill isn't such a bad idea. So what about the shops we would not want to see in the new development- any advances on the following:

A big branch of the pet shop that's in Inverness retail park?
    A golf emporiium?
    Blockbusters video?
    Agree and disagree with you.Its easy to commute if you have a car to take you from Ayrshire to Glasgow.If you don't have a car and train fares and bus fares are too expensive for the individuals circumstances.Then having these stores or businesses in your own town,what a bonus it is.

I wish Ikea would open anywhere in the highlands, Edinburgh is a long way to go

Business exists to make money. Whether it's a big firm or a rural ice cream shop, they open their doors knowing people will come in and pay for goods and services. What were your local shops like?

What brought you to Caithness- work by any chance?
    I've been in the county since the early 70's- and the new expansion has changed the towns enormously- but if there was less employment- or when perish the thought Dounreay has been finally decommissioned, do you think the place will be quite as promising?
    Bagpuss

Business exists to make money. Whether it's a big firm or a rural ice cream shop, they open their doors knowing people will come in and pay for goods and services. What were your local shops like?

What brought you to Caithness- work by any chance?
    I've been in the county since the early 70's- and the new expansion has changed the towns enormously- but if there was less employment- or when perish the thought Dounreay has been finally decommissioned, do you think the place will be quite as promising?
    True,stores are after your cash.I never arrived in Caithness for work.Was helping out and was asked if I wanted to stay...I said yes.Glad I did,cos I fell in love with the wife and the county.

Dounreay from stories I have heard through my times here was and is one of the main employers.So are all these new shops.

On Thursday for the first time in 13 years I bought lamenated flooring in Wick,at a reasonable price,without having to go to Inverness.

Have to say it really shows just how much you lot have missed the shops up here when you're praising wetherspoons so much.
    Don't get me wrong I go in there on occasion but only cos it's the only place of it's kind to go in Wick. The food is 'pants'. Some of it can be quite nice but whats with the veg?? The carrots are gross and pretty much rubbery and all the rest of the veg tastes the same.
    What we need is a 'Brewers Fayre'. Not sure if theres one of these locally or even in Inverness but the food is fantastic, great price and it's children friendly - none of this being relegated to a back room and then being kicked out after a certain time.
    If Brewers Fayre have any sense they'll get themselves up here sharpish.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Unhappy weatherspoons

i too was at weatherspoons lately and why everyone iis praising it so much it beats me as you say the carrots were awful mines were not rubbery they were rock hard it was the parsley that was rubbery and the food was very cold that was after waiting ages for it

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    ............'Brewers Fayre'. Not sure if theres one of these locally or even in Inverness.........
    http://www.brewersfayre.host.goodtec...=Brewers_Fayre

Cheers

Ian.
    robertianrae.co.uk
    hutchthedog.co.uk

Cool

I take my family in there quite regularly & its 9 times out of ten fine, not much wrong with it. Went to the Yard last time & there wasnt much wrong there either.
    Remember with spoons the beer is cheap, thats 1 of the reason`s it is so popular,also there is a wide selection of drink from all over the globe . I like a drop of San Miguel rather than bog standard Tennents lager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast