Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Whisky?

Default Whisky?

Does it change from year to year llike wine? I know it changes in taste when left in the barrel over years. I don't think my taste buds are that sensitive but I've thought it does change even from bottle to bottle until I might be on my third nip and then it tastes the same, might be summat to do with what I've eaten beforehand. Any experts out there?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Talking

Now tell the truth, it's just an excuse for you to have a third dram!

It doesn't change once it's in the bottle, unless you leave the top off in which case you will LOSE ALCOHOLIC STRENGTH - FOR GOD'S SAKE MAN PUT THE TOP BACK ON!!!!

It could conceivably get a bug in it that would turn it to vinegar but I think spirits like whisky are just too strong for that to happen (unlike with wine).

caithness where else would you want to be??

mine never lasts long enough once the top is off

Quote Originally Posted by ss.sv650 View Post
    mine never lasts long enough once the top is off
    I've noticed quite rapid evaporation in mine too on occasion.

caithness where else would you want to be??

i can feel a vote commin on wots your fav malt then ??

i gotta start with Laphroaig you just cant get better for me!!

My favorite is whichever one has some left in the bottle! I came across a liter bottle of Lagavuillin a few weeks ago with about an inch in the bottom, just enough for a wee taster for me and my son-in-law (he's American and I am educating him). When I took out the cork it crumbled into bits! Not to be foiled easily, I ran it through a filter paper for the coffee maker, into a cream jug. It was grand!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ss.sv650 View Post
    i can feel a vote commin on wots your fav malt then ??

i gotta start with Laphroaig you just cant get better for me!!
    I canna understand how fowks laud this stuff, the nearest I can think of to Dettol mixed wi' peaty waater! Urghhh! Boak!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Highland Park, Dalwhinnie, Balvenie and any of the Islay malts but open to being convinced to add others to the list.
    He has a profound respect for old age. Especially when it's bottled.
    Gene Fowler

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Highland Park, Dalwhinnie, Balvenie and any of the Islay malts but open to being convinced to add others to the list.
    good choices, I would add old pulteney on merit of taste not that I have any affinity wi the place.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Highland Park us a favorite, Scapa is just beautiful too (although gie expensive now). If I ever feel craving to be clobbered over the head with a lump of peat, I'll have an Islay!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    good choices, I would add old pulteney on merit of taste not that I have any affinity wi the place.
    Great stuff, one of the best. The Northern & East coast malts I find to be the best, at least for my pallet. I find Laphroaig and some of the Islay Malts too peaty, although I do enjoy an odd glass of Laphroaig. Always remember what my father said about whisky "there are no bad whiskies, it's just that some are better than others"
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Highland Park, Balvenie, The MacAllan, in that order. As for Laphroaig, if you just go lick a hospital floor, you'll get the same taste, and save some money!

To answer the OP, provided whisky is aged in the same barrels, there shouldnt be any difference in taste between whiskies distilled in different years.

I'm with Whitewater on this one. Old Pulteney takes some beating, but any decent Speyside or Northeastern malt will do me fine.

Just keep Bunnhabian and all the rest of that horrendous peaty meths away from me!*

*Unless that's all there is left to drink, of course...