Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: creationists are......

Angry creationists are......

MENTALISTS!!!!

ok - it's a very long clip (think I lasted about 5 mins)

Is he real?

grrrrrrrr I'm drawn back to it....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...onists&pl=true

sorry clicked on saw it lasted over 2 1/2 hours and just switched off. dont think i could sit still for that long
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by elaine
    MENTALISTS!!!!

ok - it's a very long clip (think I lasted about 5 mins)

Is he real?
    Unfortunately yes he is real and he is part of a growing movement in the USA to make their beliefs established fact. They go round schools giving lectures to young children, as young as 5 years old and telling them that when they get older their biology teachers are going to lie to them and not to believe what they say.

Its happening closer to home than you think
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/scho...664608,00.html

And on the flip side, I find it very annoying that the evolution thoery is taught as fact to our kids. There is no balance in the matter.

No one really knows how the earth etc started and it is all theories. According to the definition of a thoery:

theory - a tentative theory about the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena; "a scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory"; "he proposed a fresh theory of alkalis that later was accepted in chemical practices"

So we are currently at the stage of still finding evidance, and not at the stage of fact.

And don't forget that he is american......

Just my 2p.

Riff

Quote Originally Posted by Riffman
    And on the flip side, I find it very annoying that the evolution thoery is taught as fact to our kids. There is no balance in the matter.

No one really knows how the earth etc started and it is all theories. <snip>
    It's true that evolution is "only" a theory, however there is evidence to support this theory. Anyone who breeds dogs, or grows the latest variety of a plant, utilizes this theory, not to mention DNA tests, paternity testing or anything to do with genetics...the list goes on.

The only evidence that I'm aware of for creationism is...the bible. And there are two versions of the order of creation in Genesis. so even within the theory there is dissension.

Sorry Riff, but it's very correct that evolution is taught as a viable theory, and creationism to be taught as the religious explanation for something that society couldn't explain 6000 years ago.

And on the flip side, I find it very annoying that the evolution thoery is taught as fact to our kids. There is no balance in the matte
    As a matter of interest what would make you feel more comfortable and bring a balance on the subject of the origins of our universe?

[QUOTE=Riffman]And on the flip side, I find it very annoying that the evolution thoery is taught as fact to our kids. There is no balance in the matter.

but at least it is taught as a "theory" and not like that guy going on about Noah having dinosaurs on his arc as FACT!

And legends of knights slaying dragons are PROOF that dinosaurs and men were around at the same time - FACT! (there were diagrams)

I found it very disturbing and frustrating (especially seeing the audience lapping it up)

[QUOTE=elaine]

I found it very disturbing and frustrating (especially seeing the audience lapping it up)
    Well he wouldn't be giving that talk to a bunch of evolutionists would he?

I personally see more credibility in the idea that we were created by something rather than just went from fish to humans... but that's my own opinion. Freedom of speech means that each individual can choose what they want to believe.

What I do find surprising that in this (western) culture there is only two competing theories about the beginnings of mankind. Surely there must be others? Is it just because we teach evolution, and then some people disagree and then start up their own creationism thoery?

Surely if evolution was the only way then the other thoeries would fizzel out? Perhaps there are some things that the evolution theory cannot explain.

Perhaps the world was formed from gases in space, but where did they come from?

Although I do see why it is important to look back in time, I also think it is important to look forward. What happens once in hundreds of years time when the oil reserves dry up (rubbish example i know.....) ?

Good discussion this, I rather like to chew over ideas!

Riff

Although I do see why it is important to look back in time, I also think it is important to look forward. What happens once in hundreds of years time when the oil reserves dry up (rubbish example i know.....)

Riff

yeah! or when a giant meteor decides to hurtle into us!!
    ARMAGEDDON OUTTA HERE!! (oh no - sorry)

Watched a show a few years ago about the amount of (very large) rocks zooming about up there - we've just been incredibly lucky one hasn't landed on a highly populated area, yet.........

Creationists are... deluded and scarily so!

People who dismiss the theory of evolution because it's only a theory betray a complete lack of understanding of what theory actually means.

The evidence we have fits evolution. And yet, because we don't yet have all the evidence creationists insist is essential, they pluck a brand new 'theory' out of the air and call it intelligent design, a belief which in no way measures up to the requirements to merit it as an actual theory. Nice try, folks.

I personally see more credibility in the idea that we were created by something rather than just went from fish to humans... but that's my own opinion.
    You missed the discovery of Tiktaalik then? And the finding of the "probable direct ancestor of humans that lived more than four million years ago"?

Freedom of speech means that each individual can choose what they want to believe.
    Sure, but let's keep your belief system out of the school science curriculum, shall we?
    Laugh and the world laughs with you... cry, and the world looks sheepish and suddenly remembers it had other plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt
    <snip>
    Sure, but let's keep your belief system out of the school science curriculum, shall we?
    Heaven and earth created in seven literal days? Yeah let's keep that out.
    Heaven and earth were created? Let's keep that in.
    You get what you give

Creationists believe the word of God is contained in the bible.
    Evidence based science has no defence against fantasy.
    Fantasy has no defence againce evidence.
    Take your pick folks.
    Theres not many of us reading this nonsense who will not have been infected with the religous bug from a very early age. Its a tough bug to shake off.
    It seems the creationists are quite happy in the knowledge that the universe was created, but for Gods sake, who created the creator?

[quote=Riffman]
    Quote Originally Posted by elaine

Well he wouldn't be giving that talk to a bunch of evolutionists would he?

I personally see more credibility in the idea that we were created by something rather than just went from fish to humans... but that's my own opinion. Freedom of speech means that each individual can choose what they want to believe.

What I do find surprising that in this (western) culture there is only two competing theories about the beginnings of mankind. Surely there must be others? Is it just because we teach evolution, and then some people disagree and then start up their own creationism thoery?

Surely if evolution was the only way then the other thoeries would fizzel out? Perhaps there are some things that the evolution theory cannot explain.

Perhaps the world was formed from gases in space, but where did they come from?

Although I do see why it is important to look back in time, I also think it is important to look forward. What happens once in hundreds of years time when the oil reserves dry up (rubbish example i know.....) ?

Good discussion this, I rather like to chew over ideas!

Riff
    Every culture has it's own origin of the species and there are hundreds. The Amerinds, Aboriginals, Eskimos and so on have their own tale to tell. Which of us is right? Who cares? I stopped thinking about when it became obvious that I could worry the question like a dog at a bone for the rest of my life and still reach no conclusions. The theory that we all descended from one woman, using metachondrial DNA testing as proof, is mind-boggling. There's a thought, we've all got the same Granny millions of times removed. That means that I'm linked to Golach and Gleeber. Cheepers!!!
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Wink Groundhog day

This is odd I only look on here periodically and pop something on and everytime I do so theres either the da vinci code or science and religion or evolution on here, granted I did start one once but can someone assure me that time has not warped on here and I,m not spinning through the same space time continum over and over.

However to comment I don't wholly agree with the evolution thing either
    yes things do adapt,survival of the fittest style, but I'm not sure about new species appearing from it?

Theories are theories and though probably have good support should always be described as theories, otherwise they become as manipulative as some creationism may be.

Anyway I've read that and feel I 've written it before ..someday..some sunny day..
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    The theory that we all descended from one woman, using metachondrial DNA testing as proof, is mind-boggling. There's a thought, we've all got the same Granny millions of times removed. That means that I'm linked to Golach and Gleeber. Cheepers!!!
    Good God, maybe theres something in this creation thing after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2

That means that I'm linked to Golach and Gleeber. Cheepers!!!
    You should feel a very privilaged personage then Gleber2, the folks from Smith Terrace are and were a very select and elite group of Thursa familys
    Last edited by golach; 15-Apr-06 at 20:03.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    The Bible says six days, Saveman....not seven. God rested on the 7th day....the Sabbath. And yes, they are 6 literal 24 hour days.
    Evolution is not really a theory...it's a hypothesis. A theory can be proved. Evolution cannot be proved.
    There is science and there is pseudo science.
    I believe the Bible.....which is perfectly scientific in the true sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    Let's not.

By teaching belief as scientific fact we would not only debase science but we would destroy faith. It would harm religion just as much as it would harm science.

Children who believe are good children, children that know have lost their souls. You think God should perform a few miracles just to prove his existence? What would people have to believe in then?

Those who can't believe without having to prove and without having to make everyone else believe with them have less faith than a non believer.

Keep belief in the religious studies classes where it belongs, keep science classes for things there is physical evidence of.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    You should feel a very privilaged personage then Gleber2, the folks from Smith Terrace are and were a very select and elite group of Thursa familys
    We of the true Gaza have always looked down upon Smith Terrace. Quite rightly so.

I gave e loon e' belt the ither day for postan in ma name and now ah've dun id masel wi his. Ah'd better no tell him. Gleber2
    Last edited by Chobbersjnr; 15-Apr-06 at 20:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast