Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smartphones in Caithness & Sutherland?

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    Thanks everyone - now have to decide whether to save up the extortionate £500+ Orange want for a 32GB phone on PAYG, get something else, or get one on a business contract and write it off against my tax bill as a business expense! (I'm tempted by the last option...!)
    If you have a business then that sounds like the better option.

When my new 3 phone wouldnt work in West caithness the 3 support section told me that I'm the furthest they had seen from a dedicated 3 mast. 68 miles.
    They said theres a 3 mast going up behind Castletown in 3 months time.

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    Thanks everyone - now have to decide whether to save up the extortionate £500+ Orange want for a 32GB phone on PAYG, get something else, or get one on a business contract and write it off against my tax bill as a business expense! (I'm tempted by the last option...!)
    I have the pay as u go iphone on o2 have had the phone for about a year now i think its a brilliant phone and the apps are cheap and its really handy having access to your email anytime the only problem is u have to be in a 3g area to send photos by email or it will freeze.
    The only moan i have about my iphone is that its on o2 which have poor 3 g coverage if i had my choice i would have it on vodaphone which the iphones are comming out at xmas on vodfone.
    But given the fact that the battery on the iphone doesnt last long if ure playing games or watching videos its a good idea to buy a cable so u can charge it off your cigar lighter?
    U can get 62g iphones ?
    CAZMANIAN i no the iphone is expensive but given the fact the o2 ,orange,vodafone is going to be selling them it wouldnt suprise me if there is a price war after xmas and the iphone doubles up as mp3 player as well and 32gb is more than enough for storing music i think the iphone is worth buying
    Last edited by EDDIE; 03-Nov-09 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    CAZMANIAN i no the iphone is expensive but given the fact the o2 ,orange,vodafone is going to be selling them it wouldnt suprise me if there is a price war after xmas and the iphone doubles up as mp3 player as well and 32gb is more than enough for storing music i think the iphone is worth buying

Not according to orange

Will have to wait and see what happens when vodafone come into play.

Either way you're going to have to pay a lot either on contract or up front. Would say contracts look a lot better at the moment, considering data etc included.

Orange's T&Cs for the iPhone prohibit using services like Youtube however there's been a backlash to that and they say they won't enforce it. I'd rather see it removed from the T&Cs though before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Orange's T&Cs for the iPhone prohibit using services like Youtube however there's been a backlash to that and they say they won't enforce it. I'd rather see it removed from the T&Cs though before buying.
    You cant watch you tube on 3g anyway has to be on a wi fi connection only so i cant see why they will restrict it
    If u buy the iphone on pay as you go the internet is free for the first year

Basically it's any streaming media not provided by Orange. Here's the quote:

"Not to be used for other activities (eg using your handset as a modem, non-Orange internet based streaming services, voice or video over the internet, instant messaging, peer to peer file sharing, non-Orange internet based video). Should such use be detected notice may be given and Network protection controls applied to all services which Orange does not believe constitutes mobile browsing."
    Last edited by Geo; 04-Nov-09 at 23:08.

i have a n95. im on an o2 contract and i have a perfect 3g recption where ever i am in the county. im not sure but i think they installed a mast at the harbour last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Basically it's any streaming media not provided by Orange. Here's the quote:

"Not to be used for other activities (eg using your handset as a modem, non-Orange internet based streaming services, voice or video over the internet, instant messaging, peer to peer file sharing, non-Orange internet based video). Should such use be detected notice may be given and Network protection controls applied to all services which Orange does not believe constitutes mobile browsing."
    If the iphone is on o2 contract you can use the handset as a modem its called tethering

Yes but not on Orange. My guess is they will have to back down on it though if other networks allow it.

.....or if you want a phone with all the apps and none of the hype (or cost) I am running an Andriod HTC Magic with Vodaphone (unlimited txts, tinternet, 600mins voice /month for about 30 quid)

Works exceptionally well up here.......
    B’ fheàrr a bhith sàmhach na droch dhàn a ghabhail

We have the Nokia n97 32GB that works with no problems here on vodafone and hubby can take his to work in Africa and still has no problems with the Apps etc , we use it mainly for GPS , youtube and facebook and couldnt be happier with it or its reception - plus it has the flip out keypad that i couldnt do without , much better IMO than the iphone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12