Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartphones in Caithness & Sutherland?

Question Smartphones in Caithness & Sutherland?

Thinking about getting an iPhone or similar, but apparently the nearest 3G coverage is Inverness. Anyone got one? How well do they work up here?

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    Thinking about getting an iPhone or similar, but apparently the nearest 3G coverage is Inverness. Anyone got one? How well do they work up here?
    Why not get one on O2? I know they do contract IPhones. Not sure if they sell them as pay as you go though.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

My phone can not get all it`s 3G functions up here,but works ok in Inverness. Mine is on the 3 network. Mik.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

There is no 3G coverage in Caithness.

In the centre of Wick it's said you can get a 3G signal, but it's only a 2.5G signal that some 'phones display as 3G.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

My daughter has an iphone.

She never uses the 3g function and when shes home she connects it to the house router.

She loves her phone best buy she ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Why not get one on O2? I know they do contract IPhones. Not sure if they sell them as pay as you go though.
    I'm happy enough sticking with Orange for now My mobile phone bill on PAYG is a £10 top up every 3-4 months, so a contract doesn't make sense for me. I'm just thinking that if none of the 3G functions, like internet browsing etc., don't work further north than Inverness there's not much point in shelling out for a snazzy phone and I might as well get a £20 basic job. My old RAZR is on its last legs though (it was second hand when I got it 5 years ago), so I'm going to have to get a replacement fairly soon.

What do you want to use it for? A couple of my friends have them and can sit there on msn or facebook etc no problem. Obviously they don't have a million conversations going on at once or anything but they seem to think it is okay. Plus there are all the apps that don't require 3G at all.
    I don't have an Iphone but can quite happily access my gmail and facebook on the network up here. In fact I don't see much difference when I am in an area with 3G coverage but then I am not transferring a large amount of data.
    To sum up: depends what you are using it for!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    My daughter has an iphone.

She never uses the 3g function and when shes home she connects it to the house router.

She loves her phone best buy she ever made.
    That's what I'd be doing most of the time - there's no mobile phone signal on any network at this house!

I'm happy enough sticking with Orange for now My mobile phone bill on PAYG is a £10 top up every 3-4 months, so a contract doesn't make sense for me. I'm just thinking that if none of the 3G functions, like internet browsing etc., don't work further north than Inverness there's not much point in shelling out for a snazzy phone and I might as well get a £20 basic job. My old RAZR is on its last legs though (it was second hand when I got it 5 years ago), so I'm going to have to get a replacement fairly soon.
    A mate of mine has an IPhone and he connects just fine. He lives in thurso.

But your right if a contact would go to waste then there would be no point in it for some people.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    What do you want to use it for? A couple of my friends have them and can sit there on msn or facebook etc no problem. Obviously they don't have a million conversations going on at once or anything but they seem to think it is okay. Plus there are all the apps that don't require 3G at all.
    I don't have an Iphone but can quite happily access my gmail and facebook on the network up here. In fact I don't see much difference when I am in an area with 3G coverage but then I am not transferring a large amount of data.
    To sum up: depends what you are using it for!
    Ideally Skype, GPS functions (including as a sat nav), keeping an eye on my business email and online shop when I'm out for the day, eBook reader, social networking sites and maybe the occasional phone call!

You have to take into account data charges though - this might increase your cost of top-ups as it is per MB, some PAYG sims have inclusive data as long as you top up a certain amount each month. I currently have unlimited data on my Orange contract but am getting rid of it as soon as it runs out. Never use it all.

Ideally Skype, GPS functions (including as a sat nav), keeping an eye on my business email and online shop when I'm out for the day, eBook reader, social networking sites and maybe the occasional phone call!
    Well apart from Skype I wouldn't see a problem on the go.

i can access the internet up here on my phone, even without connecting through the router, sometime a little slow though.. only thing i cant do on my phone is the video calling.

x
    ღ ღ ღ ღ kazzii ღ ღ ღ ღ I'm a devil in disguise

GPRS signal is generally OK in these parts, not 3G but it will support most services.

I use a Blackberry on Vodafone which works fine for my needs which is mainly push email.
    Tinterweb generally works OK as does the GPS/satnav thingymebob (for those of you who may not be aware GPS on phones uses the phone network to assist in trangulation and is not 100% reliant on sattelites).

I have an iphone and it's great. I use it for email and internet all the time and it's fine.

my daughther has one and as far as i know she has no problems x i have a skype fone and have no probs with it get everything i can get in invernessx

I have a brand spanking new 32gb 3gs and it works a treat up here. Internet, email, the whole lot.... ah, and lets not forget some of the fantastic apps!!! Well worth the dosh!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    There is no 3G coverage in Caithness.

In the centre of Wick it's said you can get a 3G signal, but it's only a 2.5G signal that some 'phones display as 3G.
    Are you sure? All the 3G phones I have tried display it as 3G in Wick. I asked O2 what services were available in Wick and they said 3G. It goes much further than the centre of Wick too.

I'm in Wick and I can get 3G at home and im not right in the centre.

Thanks everyone - now have to decide whether to save up the extortionate £500+ Orange want for a 32GB phone on PAYG, get something else, or get one on a business contract and write it off against my tax bill as a business expense! (I'm tempted by the last option...!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast