Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Nuclear Fuel Depository

Default Nuclear Fuel Depository

From todays Herald

Im only posting this as a news item so no further comment from me

http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/new...waste-1.929636

better than a nuclear suppository I guess...

very interesting article though

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    Nuclear Fuel Depository......From todays Herald

Im only posting this as a news item so no further comment from me

http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/new...waste-1.929636
    Incorrect, there are no plans to store MOD fuel in Caithness. There is plans to break up Britain's existing nuclear fleet of reactor compartments in a suitable area without the fuel rods. The non radioactive parts (eg propulsion, torpedo, conning tower parts) will be broke up via conventional scrapping methods at Nigg or Plymouth for example and the reactor compartments will be sealed up and stored in an above-ground location. Obviously this will have a visual impact in a decommissioned Dounreay as the compartments will still be there in decades to come. They are a big size!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThOlZhRPtU
    Last edited by Rheghead; 01-Nov-09 at 15:04.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

The plan a few years ago was to find a site where the compartments could be stored whole. Vulcan was one of the sites identified.

It's changed a bit since then. There will be a site somewhere in Britain where the compartments are chopped up and packaged in drums or crates. What they are looking for now is a warehouse to store those drums or crates until Westminster can find a hole in the ground big enough to drop all Britain's nuclear waste - civil and military.

Not sure I see much sense in moving the filled crates from a scrapping site in England - e.g. at Devonport - to a country that's already declared its intention to boycott a national repository. If the waste came to Dounreay, therefore, it would never leave. In fact, under the present policy, none of the waste currently located in Scotland will be moved to a UK national repository.

Good luck trying to get planning permission as the SNP is fundementally against new nuclear sites in Scotland, repository or otherwise
    When life hands you lemons, crack open the tequila