Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wont deliver to Caithness

Default Wont deliver to Caithness

First Iwas refused a curry and nowI am refused furnitureI ordered on the internet.
    I get so annoyed when firms think caithness is an island off the mainland. I explained we are mainland, 102 miles north of inverness, yet they disagreee. Surely i should know if I am on an island ,I live here.!!!
    BecauseI live hereI am being penalised andI can't have the furnitureI wanted. I lknow i aM NOT THE ONLY ONE Isn't it annoying.GGrrr
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

You can't have everything Fran, you live in gods county, be gratefull for what you have and accept the things you cannot have.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I feel your pain, charged extra for not being on the mainland, how long does it take them to look at a map or sat nav or route planner?

Such is life of the "remote" area of the Highlands

p.s. - I had a wee chuckle to myself when I heard that Dominoes would deliver Pizza to your house within 30 mins or your money back, no small print on the TV screen stating it had to be in the same town or whatever. I may just order a pizza, get it cold the next morning.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Default Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    I feel your pain, charged extra for not being on the mainland, how long does it take them to look at a map or sat nav or route planner?

Such is life of the "remote" area of the Highlands

p.s. - I had a wee chuckle to myself when I heard that Dominoes would deliver Pizza to your house within 30 mins or your money back, no small print on the TV screen stating it had to be in the same town or whatever. I may just order a pizza, get it cold the next morning.
    I think the clue to the (get out clause) is, "or your money back".

I would guess that if you ordered a pizza for delivery, then it would be cash on delivery, so if they decided that you would be too far away to be a feasible customer, you just would not get a pizza.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Default UK Mainland

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    First Iwas refused a curry and nowI am refused furnitureI ordered on the internet.
    I get so annoyed when firms think caithness is an island off the mainland. I explained we are mainland, 102 miles north of inverness, yet they disagreee. Surely i should know if I am on an island ,I live here.!!!
    BecauseI live hereI am being penalised andI can't have the furnitureI wanted. I lknow i aM NOT THE ONLY ONE Isn't it annoying.GGrrr
    I have told you before Fran to stop Internet shopping with company's based in Orkney.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

at least I could get it delivered on the Orkney ferry then.!!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

whereabouts is it from ? You could give Stevens a call and see how much they'd be a pallet up ??

I find this crazy aswell. I use the net to buy quite alot, mainly stuff i cant get up here. Find it very annoying being told that because the postcode is KW14, wich i think is the same as orkneys, then were classed non-mainland, total joke. Never been refused anything yet, but can always add on an extra £5+ for anything heavy-ish.
    STAY IN TUNE

What about Mackenzies Removals? They' ve picked up stuff for me before.

I've had that problem too, but after much arguing they eventually believed me and sent the stuff. You should not have given up until they agreed to send it.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I found out that Virgin Wine club delivers to Caithness for no extra charge! You pay £20 per month and on the 3rd month they put £20. With this £80 you then select a case of wine (if you pick your own bottles it comes to a little more). We've just received 24 bottles as last quarter we were in the middle of moving and deferred

The wine is good, the service is good - forget furniture, get wine!

Default Delivery chages

Hi Fran.
    Yes, it is so annoying, I have just had battle with a seller in Yorkshire, was told on the AD that it was £9.95 main land, paid for the item as well, then got a email asking for another £8.50 because of the postcode, the Postage was nearly as dear as the Item.

agree we live in Gods Country, but |I also think we should not be penalised for it. Really browned off
    "If there is room in your heart, there is room in your home" Rescue Anon

I've encountered the same problem here Fran.
    My catelogue company couriers refuse to deliver certain furniture to Skye so I'm just going to change companys.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Thumbs down

I believe it occurs when a company uses an inaccurate postcode database which designates all KW codes as being based round Kirkwall (correct) and therefore assumes you must be on an Island (incorrect).

Thumbs down

Name and shame them Fran, so we know who to avoid.

It would be cool if there was comprehensive list of all firms who penalise customers in the far north, and also a list of 'Northern Friendly' firms, that way we could avoid the guilty parties and take our business elsewhere, i'm sure in time their policies would change if they were made aware that they were losing a lot of business because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    I find this crazy aswell. I use the net to buy quite alot, mainly stuff i cant get up here. Find it very annoying being told that because the postcode is KW14, wich i think is the same as orkneys, then were classed non-mainland, total joke. Never been refused anything yet, but can always add on an extra £5+ for anything heavy-ish.
    Orkney's postcodes are KW15-17, Caithness is KW1-14 - so there's no excuse for companies thinking we are in Orkney.

I honestly don't think this is actually the problem, I think it's simply an excuse to charge us more. I believe that those with IV postcodes are being charged extra for delivery too. Basically anything that comes under the county of Highland gets charged extra and often isn't included in any quote for UK Mainland postage - this may actually be against some kind of law or whatever because we are part of the mainland and therefore it should be quite reasonable for us to assume that any delivery quoted for UK Mainland includes us too.

I've actually seen listings on Ebay where they will deliver to Northern Ireland, and even the Republic of Ireland but they won't deliver up here, or they charge more to deliver up here than to NI or Eire - simply CRAZY!

You could understand additional delivery charges if it involves crossing a body of water, such as deliveries to the Northern Isles or Northern Ireland etc, but for deliveries that can go via road or rail all the way, there is simply no reasonable excuse for additiional charges.
    If at first you don't succeed...................

....erase all evidence that you even tried

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Name and shame them Fran, so we know who to avoid.

It would be cool if there was comprehensive list of all firms who penalise customers in the far north, and also a list of 'Northern Friendly' firms, that way we could avoid the guilty parties and take our business elsewhere, i'm sure in time their policies would change if they were made aware that they were losing a lot of business because of them.
    Surely these guilty companies don't care if we go elsewhere. That's why they are refusing to deliver up here, or are charging extra so that we will be put off ordering from them in the first place.

If the Royal Mail strikes really do spell the end of the Royal Mail itself, that means we will all be facing the fact of additional delivery charges for each and every item we order - possibly even for letters too. Currently Royal Mail are the only company that charge the same price for delivery up here as they do for delivering from one side of London to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by kmahon2001 View Post
    Surely these guilty companies don't care if we go elsewhere. That's why they are refusing to deliver up here, or are charging extra so that we will be put off ordering from them in the first place.
    There are obviously some, as Fran has pointed out, but i have not personally come across any firm that wouldn't deliver to me, but nearly all of them have tried to charge extra for delivery, they DO want our business, they are just ignorant to our location. So, these firms that are trying to charge us extra under the misguided belief that we are somehow not on the mainland UK, lets name and shame them, and if you feel the need, email them and tell them exactly why they are not getting your business. If enough people do that, they might sit up and start to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    There are obviously some, as Fran has pointed out, but i have not personally come across any firm that wouldn't deliver to me, but nearly all of them have tried to charge extra for delivery, they DO want our business, they are just ignorant to our location. So, these firms that are trying to charge us extra under the misguided belief that we are somehow not on the mainland UK, lets name and shame them, and if you feel the need, email them and tell them exactly why they are not getting your business. If enough people do that, they might sit up and start to listen.
    That's very true. I must admit that everytime I come across a company that wants to charge me extra for delivery, or won't deliver at all, I simply move on to another company that will deliver. I hadn't even thought of emailing that first company to let them know they had lost my custom and why, but I will do future.

I had someone actually try to charge me extra, when I ordered through Amazon Market Place. Fortunately Amazon intervened and pointed out to the company that they had signed up to Amazon's policy of same rate shipping costs to the whole of the UK.

I have, however, come across many listings on Ebay where they say they don't ship to the Highlands and Islands, or where they charge exhorbitant prices for delivery up here - and I'm not talking about private individuals selling unwanted items, where you can understand it a bit more, I'm talking about companies that list on Ebay. Sadly Ebay don't expect their companies to sign up to the same policy that Amazon do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast