Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wont deliver to Caithness

Default Logistics

My understanding of why it's expensive to get goods delivered to Caithness seems to be different to any that I have read so far.

Although the KW post code has been used to try and winkle a few more quid out of the job, My understanding is, (and I am sure someone will be quick to point out that I am talking a load of twaddle again) that there is very little goods produced in Caithness that can be transported South, so you have many more loads of goods coming up the A9, but very little in the way of back-loads going down.

Logistics is a very competitive industry, but you will get very few hauliers working for nothing.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Sometimes I wonder how these white van deliveries earn their money if they deliver up here. It is a 5 hour round trip of over 200 miles from Inverness, we only have 30,000 people here to support such businesses and there's quite a lot of them already.

If I want something delivering next day then I should pay for it but if I'm not bothered then I'm happy for it to be stored in Inverness until such time they get a decent van full of parcels to make it worthwhile to make the delivery, so long as I know that is what they're doing.

What irks me sometimes is that a van has come up with only a few items, what a waste in petrol time etc.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I agree, i wouldnt mind waiting for something to be delivered than no delivery at all I wouldn't even mind paying extra postage.. I dont know where they could deliver in inverness for me then i could get a van to collect.
    When vans deliver up here, remember they deliver all over sutherland on route.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Even Inverness postcodes have a premium to pay, depending on the courier the company uses. The companies always blame the courier for the cost, but if they found one who didn`t charge extra for the highlands life would be so much easier.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Even Inverness postcodes have a premium to pay, depending on the courier the company uses. The companies always blame the courier for the cost, but if they found one who didn`t charge extra for the highlands life would be so much easier.
    Excellent point. Companies can use different couriers for different locations, if they so choose. Why are so many of them so inflexible that they are not even prepared to try and send something by Royal Mail, or another courier who won't charge a premium for delivering up here? If they cared about the customer, they would try to get the best deal for delivery instead of signing up with one courier company and accepting whatever their rates are. The same goes for any part of the country. If these companies never question the courier charges or shop around for the best deal, then the couriers will continue to charge whatever they want.
    If at first you don't succeed...................

....erase all evidence that you even tried

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how these white van deliveries earn their money if they deliver up here. It is a 5 hour round trip of over 200 miles from Inverness, we only have 30,000 people here to support such businesses and there's quite a lot of them already.

If I want something delivering next day then I should pay for it but if I'm not bothered then I'm happy for it to be stored in Inverness until such time they get a decent van full of parcels to make it worthwhile to make the delivery, so long as I know that is what they're doing.

What irks me sometimes is that a van has come up with only a few items, what a waste in petrol time etc.
    I agree. A few times I've had to wait an extra day or so for something to be delivered so that the van comes up full rather than half empty. I'm happy for that to be the case. I would rather that than being forced to pay high prices for delivery. If it's something I want urgently I would then accept that I'd have to pay extra for next day delivery service.

Geography having the last laugh again.

Default Delivery to caithness

as far as i am aware caithness is in scotland and mainland yet delivery is always more how is this fair when a parcel is same weight and price no matter where sent in uk how can they justifiy this cheating folks out of money

It amazes me that I can order something for £52 from China - zero postage, have it go through 6 different airports with UPS and get here in 4 days!! and yet if I want the same thing from south, it will cost me 70 odd quid - plus postage - and take up to 2 weeks to get here! Explain that if you can! (other than they order it from China paying £52, then charge me £20 for the privilege of having them order it)

Quote Originally Posted by kmahon2001 View Post
    Orkney's postcodes are KW15-17, Caithness is KW1-14 - so there's no excuse for companies thinking we are in Orkney.

I'm KW15 and I'm in Wick

Quote Originally Posted by MR_A View Post
    I'm KW15 and I'm in Wick
    Wick is KW1, so could the 5 be the digit from the second half of your postcode?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12