Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racism? Where Do We Draw The Line?

Default Racism? Where Do We Draw The Line?

I was just thinking after hearing an article on BBC Radio 2 last week about racism involving the word "Paki."

Don't get me wrong I hate racism and don't encourage it in the slightest. But I am trying to understand how the word "Paki" is racist and the word "Scot" isn't?

I mean "Scot" comes from the word "Scottish." "Paki" comes from the word "Pakistani" so why is one racist and the other isn't?

No one is keen for helping me out on this one no?

Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    I was just thinking after hearing an article on BBC Radio 2 last week about racism involving the word "Paki."

Don't get me wrong I hate racism and don't encourage it in the slightest. But I am trying to understand how the word "Paki" is racist and the word "Scot" isn't?

I mean "Scot" comes from the word "Scottish." "Paki" comes from the word "Pakistani" so why is one racist and the other isn't?

I cannot think of any context in which calling someone a Paki is not racist, particularly as it is generally used about anyone of an appearance of someone from the Indian sub-continent rgardless of their ethnicity.

And I cannot recall ever hearing it said in a way that has led me to believe that the person uttering the word was not using it in a derogatory sense.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

When Prince Harry said it to one of his Pakistani friends?

The friend was allright with it. So was harry

The media jumped on it!

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    And I cannot recall ever hearing it said in a way that has led me to believe that the person uttering the word was not using it in a derogatory sense.
    You'll not have watched much Australian cricket TV coverage then. They use the word quite innocently, in much the way that people use the word 'Scot' or 'Aussie'.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Surely you understand that in the United Kingdom racism is only attributable to the white indigenous population.

Of course NickInTheNorth's answer is 100% correct but how many .orgers who profess to be non racist refer to certain clothing shops as the 'Pakis', certain food shops as the 'Chinkies' and so on, with no thought of racism in their minds. ?

I never do that! like I make a point of not saying words like that!

There are plenty people who I know that seem to racist for no reason. Like there's a guy I work with who doesn't like certain music depending on what race recorded it!

True story!

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Default in the sand

well i never take the chance of calling any of the indian race paki due to the fact that they may take offence or that some non paki will think i am be racist so i call all pakistani folks
    stani never an eyebru raised

Come on, Who do we scream 'racism' to when we're called a Jock, a limey or a white honky? Who do the Irish go to when they are called Paddy? Or the English when we call them a sassenach? Or an Eastender when they are called a Cockney? Paki is short for Pakistani in a world where we tend to shorten words and is NOT racist - as you said any more than a Scot.
    Chinkie is an abreviation of Chinese restaurant. Chippy is an abreviation of fish and chip shop, and I don't hear any complaints from that quarter. If you ask me everything is going a bit too far these days.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    Come on, Who do we scream 'racism' to when we're called a Jock, a limey or a white honky? Who do the Irish go to when they are called Paddy? Or the English when we call them a sassenach? Or an Eastender when they are called a Cockney? Paki is short for Pakistani in a world where we tend to shorten words and is NOT racist - as you said any more than a Scot.
    Chinkie is an abreviation of Chinese restaurant. Chippy is an abreviation of fish and chip shop, and I don't hear any complaints from that quarter. If you ask me everything is going a bit too far these days.
    here here .......

I think you better get your facts right The Scots were a people who came from Ireland and settled here, thus Scotland became the name of our country, so it is not racist to be called a Scot or Scots!! But it is racist to call someone from Pakistan a Paki
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I knew this thread would have people with their knickers in a twist.

Paki, no more racist than calling an Australian an Aussie, an American a Yank or a French person a Frog...

The day before yesterday I was ashamed to see the word 'Paki' daubed, albeit faintly, on the wall beside the cash machine at Macoll's High Ormlie.

The problem arises as 'Paki' is commonly used as a direct insult as opposed to slang reference to ones' background.

There's loads of examples of Prince Harry type situations where small groups of friends have what appear to be very insulting nicknames for each other.
    But I can guarantee that the shaven-headed chaps stood with cans of lager in their hands on a street corner are not being jocular when they shout "Oi! Paki!" at the woman across the road......

Certainly an emotive subject. Have we any Pakistani's here to add some dimension to the thread?

Ultimately it is going to be down to the individual using the term and the person being referred to (if the scenario fits) to decide if it's racist.

Leaving the question of how we accept and view the term "Paki" aside for the minute, where will it end?

I am regularly referred to as a Manc bar steward, well it sounds like that as the scouse git that utters this is hard to understand due to his accent, but he is after all a militant scouse git.
    Is this too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Certainly an emotive subject. Have we any Pakistani's here to add some dimension to the thread?

Ultimately it is going to be down to the individual using the term and the person being referred to (if the scenario fits) to decide if it's racist.

Leaving the question of how we accept and view the term "Paki" aside for the minute, where will it end?

I am regularly referred to as a Manc bar steward, well it sounds like that as the scouse git that utters this is hard to understand due to his accent, but he is after all a militant scouse git.
    Is this too far?
    I'm regularly called an FEB by my Scotch friends........

I am of Pakistani descent and would like to shed some light on the use of the word 'Paki'.

This word is often often used with derogatory and racist meanings. The word is used for all the people of Sub Continent which has more than one country including Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
    Bangladesh was part of Pakistan before 1971 and was called East Pakistan. It got independance in 1971.

Bangladeshi people came to UK in early fifties and established restaurants called then Indian Restaurants. As they were of Pakistani nationality ( at that time ) and term Paki was used. In the initial period of time it was not demeaning.The term later on became demeaning, derogatory and racist as It is shouted often as racist abuse to people of subcontinent origin.

A person from Pakistan would prefer to be called as Pakistani,a person from India is Indian and likewise Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan who are from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Smile

This whole "affair" is bloody crazy. To call someone a "Paki" is just a shortened word for their race: but it seems to have been turned into a racial slur by the "people that know best. just the same as I was called a "Pom" when I lived in Australia: (and proud of it).

This is PC gone mad. I really think the name of the game these days is: be a closet racist, think it, but for goodness sake don't (get caught) airing it! I think that was partly proven when a "list" of members of The BNP was found to contain people in The Civil Service and The Home Office etc.

The next thing is I'll be going to The powers that be for someone referring to me as an "incomer": which I am.

Quote Originally Posted by highland red View Post
    "incomer"
    You dared to mention the "I" word!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DOCTOR View Post
    A person from Pakistan would prefer to be called as Pakistani,a person from India is Indian and likewise Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan who are from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
    Well I think that's a damn good answer!

In my time I have caused great offence to many races.

In particular new zealanders whom I have called aussies.
    Canadians whom I have mistakenly called americans.

In return I have been called heather hopper - tuechtar in scotland.

Whilst abroad I have been called english and on many occasions when I have explained that I am scottish - have been called a miser / scrounger.

The practice was referred to as "slotting" when I was younger - or a more accurate expression which gives it is full expression to its sinister intent might be racial profiling.

This happens when some who you dont know automatically assumes that you conform to a racial stereotype because they are to lazy or unwilling to make the effort recognise the person as an individual.

Yes we are all guilty from time to time - no we probably are not racist for the most part - but are we really arguing that we should be excused for being too lazy to care about others in teh community ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast