Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Webcam

Castletown (N58deg 35.240/W003deg 22.839)

Default Webcam

I just bought a webcam yesterday so I can see my grand-daughter who lives 700 miles away. I used it just now for the first time. Got picture okay but there seems to be a lot of noise coming through the speakers - can anyone tell me why? I could hardly make her out for the noise.

Was it one of the ones from Lidle, cos that make seems to have that problem

Quote Originally Posted by doyle
    I just bought a webcam yesterday so I can see my grand-daughter who lives 700 miles away. I used it just now for the first time. Got picture okay but there seems to be a lot of noise coming through the speakers - can anyone tell me why? I could hardly make her out for the noise.
    I would only expect good quality if you both have broadband.

Assuming you both use PCs it might be worth using Skype. Version 2 of their software for the PC is capable of using a webcam so that you can have both sound and vision. The Mac version of the software can not handle webcams.
    Skype has a test facility so each end can test (sound) against what is effectively an answering machine. Useful to check which end has the problem - which sounds more like it is coming from your grand-daughter's end.
    Only problem we have with Skype is with one of the family who persists in using speakers and the microphone. It's really off-putting hearing your own voice echoing back about 1 second later. The ideal is to use headphones. Even better are these headphones with an attached mike.

We also use SkypeOut to phone family who only have a mobile phone in the Irish Republic. Less than a third of the cost of using BT, and they say the quality is even better.

Good Luck

jimbews

Jimbews - I think it is a problem with the webcam, I got 'my man that does' to have a look at it seems to be a fault. If he can't get it to work, then it just don't work.

Castletown (N58deg 35.240/W003deg 22.839)

We've worked out that its feedback with using microphone and speakers. I have headphones so i'll try them next time. The webcam's not from Lidls, we bought it in Alacam. Thanks changilass and jimbews.