Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fireworks!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    An organised display won't stop kids from being frightened by the bangs.
    Aye it won't but it does stop people buying them all the time in the autumn through winter and setting them off all the time making animals that are pettrified of them life a scared few couple of months. Kids mostly like fireworks, they like the colours. I only know a few that are scared. Saying that one of my brothers was pettrified of a bagpipe band at every gala
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    .......Saying that one of my brothers was pettrified of a bagpipe band at every gala
    Me too! It's all those knobbly knees on display that gets me.
    If at first you don't succeed...................

....erase all evidence that you even tried

Quote Originally Posted by kmahon2001 View Post
    Fireworks are explosive devices that can, and do, injure and even kill. Why on earth do we allow the sale of explosive devices to ordinary members of the public? It's completely insane.

I love fireworks and I wouldn't like to see them banned and I don't want to stop others from enjoying them either. But I would definitely ban them from sale to the general public. They should be available for licenced displays only.

How many more times do we have to see stories of horrific accidents where someone has been badly injured by a firework exploding in their face or of yobs strapping a firework to a cat's tail and lighting it, before we do something about this?

BAN THE SALE OF FIREWORKS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC!

This would also stop the continual letting off of fireworks from about the end of September right through till the end of January, which is what happens where I used to live. My dogs were nervous wrecks throughout the autumn/winter down there.
    How many more people will get killed on the road, run over by a car, killed in a car crash, lets ban cars sales to the public, leave it to professional drivers, Oh they still crash dont they, still get injured and still die, there are risks to everything in life, more so the things that are fun and good to watch, get over it. Cant wrap everthing and everyone up in a bubble.
    Last edited by M R; 31-Oct-09 at 13:43.
    STAY IN TUNE

well said kmahon

but I would ban pipers especially if they have knobbly hairy knees
    but ii would leave the piper lassies alone much prettier knees but I would take the drones out of their pipes to much noise and they might offend someone

Let the kids have there fun as long as they aint actin stupid and are being careful....... i must also add that caithness.org needs to be renamed caithness.grump ......this is 09 time we acted like it?

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    How many more people will get killed on the road, run over by a car, killed in a car crash, lets ban cars sales to the public, leave it to professional drivers, Oh they still crash dont they, still get injured and still die, there are risks to everything in life, more so the things that are fun and good to watch, get over it. Cant wrap everthing and everyone up in a bubble.
    Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Anything in the wrong hands can kill-cars, scissors, guns, chainsaws, a hammer, the list is endless so do we ban them? Many of us get enjoyment from a legal pursuit, yet, as usual, a few idiots spoil it for the majority.
    Why do people on here keep comparing letting off fireworks with driving cars? For a start you have to be licenced to drive a car. Which means you are first trained how to drive safely and then you have to pass a test before being let loose on the roads (whether or not that is enough to stop these insane accidents is another argument for another posting).

You also have to be licenced to own (and fire) a gun and I think you even have to be licenced to use a chainsaw (although I may be wrong about that one).

At the moment anyone over a certain age can buy and let off fireworks with no previous training etc.

All I'm saying is the same should apply to letting off fireworks - Licenced people only.

The trouble with this country is too many killjoys.

Quote Originally Posted by kmahon2001 View Post
    Why do people on here keep comparing letting off fireworks with driving cars? For a start you have to be licenced to drive a car. Which means you are first trained how to drive safely and then you have to pass a test before being let loose on the roads (whether or not that is enough to stop these insane accidents is another argument for another posting).

You also have to be licenced to own (and fire) a gun and I think you even have to be licenced to use a chainsaw (although I may be wrong about that one).

At the moment anyone over a certain age can buy and let off fireworks with no previous training etc.

All I'm saying is the same should apply to letting off fireworks - Licenced people only.

Ok, so please tell me, even thou have to pass a test to drive a lethal weapon. (a car) would you happily say that everyone on the road today is worthy of that test ???? well i say no..... no matter where you live....

That was one of many comparisons. Yes there are lots of them. just saying in my opinion that you live and learn from yours or others mistakes, some costly. but that shoudn't stop you being able to try them should you wish, or watch others doing them.......fireworks are great to watch and use, all be it in sensible hands. Not to be banned for public use just because of a few accidents given the amount used in that period.

Enjoy them. Thats what there there for.
    STAY IN TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    Ok, so please tell me, even thou have to pass a test to drive a lethal weapon. (a car) would you happily say that everyone on the road today is worthy of that test ???? well i say no..... no matter where you live....

That was one of many comparisons. Yes there are lots of them. just saying in my opinion that you live and learn from yours or others mistakes, some costly. but that shoudn't stop you being able to try them should you wish, or watch others doing them.......fireworks are great to watch and use, all be it in sensible hands. Not to be banned for public use just because of a few accidents given the amount used in that period.

Enjoy them. Thats what there there for.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I already say that the debate over whether or not the current driving training and testing procedure is adequate or not is another argument for another posting?

I realise that there are many people who have been licenced to drive who really shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car, but as I said, that's another argument altogether.

Would you prefer that we get rid of driving tests and allow anyone over the age of 16 or 18 to drive a car - somehow I doubt it, but that is exactly what happens with fireworks. Anyone can get hold of them without any kind of training on how to handle them safely, or even how to store them properly to prevent kids getting hold of them.

And for the last time, I am not saying ban fireworks (I too like fireworks, and love to watch them) I'm simply suggesting that we limit their availability to those who are licenced to use them. If you want to continue to use them then all you would have to do is obtain a licence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12