Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: static electricity

Default static electricity

I regularly suffer a build up of static electricty in my body & keep getting shocks, even if i touch someone i get a shock & give them one.
    can anybody suggest anything i can do to stop this from happening

Arrow

you must be a good conductor!!!!!!

Try different footwear, or if in your house, no footwear and see if that helps.

the wife is like that every thing she touches she get a shock even me she must spending too much time on the computer lol try wearing rubber sole shoes .

Wear only natural fibres. Humidify your house in dry weather. Don't stroke the cat when it's frosty outside (ours used to bite me when I did that). The natural fibres thing doesn't help if your sofa or car upholstery is that nylon velour stuff. I get horrible shocks when I get out of my car as my jeans rub on the other material. My work sometimes takes me to high mountain places where is it extremely dry (<1% RH at times) and I sometimes create 1/2 inch sparks. The worst is when you walk in the toilet and erm *go standing up* without disippating the static through the tap first.

Ouch George!
    I've been affected by this for years, moreso over the winter. I create blue sparks whenever I touch the video, in particular! Is there an easy solution to this problem? Thank goodness I'm not the only one with an "electric personality"

I used love it when i take my jumper off in the dark and you would see all the spark .

krieve Guest

I have the very same problem, when i get out of the car and shut the car door i always get a shock .Also when i go on the pc i am fine but if i go on the laptop i get a shock. I touched my man on his face the other day, because my hands were freezing, i gave him a shock my thumb hurt the rest of the day! It's drving me crazy it seems to get worse everyday.grrrr

Now that I remember. Years ago in operating theatres there used to be chains dangling from the metal trolleys to the floor ? to discharge the static. And again,years ago, did cars not have funny rubbery things dangling at the back also to help counteract the static. So maybe that's the answer - at the risk of us looking like Jacob Marley!

I always get a shock of the shopping trolleys. Thats before I get the bill
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

I used to be terrible for building up static charges - it got so bad that I'd produce 1 inch flashes of light whenever I went to get into a car / shut a car door / went near any other metal.

Over the years I seem to have grown out of it, but at the time I found the only fix was to always hold a metal key, and tap the key to any other metal before I touched it. It certainly stopped the electric shocks when I was getting into a car.
    Laugh and the world laughs with you... cry, and the world looks sheepish and suddenly remembers it had other plans.

Although it is annoying i suppose it has it good points aswell, like when Mr Billy Boy annoy's me, i just wait till he aint looking then touch his ear an give him a shock annoy's the heck out of him, but hey it amuse's me

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    I used love it when i take my jumper off in the dark and you would see all the spark .

I used to love it when my girlfriend took off her jumper

Sigh........ Think I'll have to go and lie down.

Mareng
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.