Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Dog Mess....disgusting.!!!!

Default dog mess

I work daily with various forms of poop...some worse than others, have never been ill through handling it at all, I have dogs, horses, a cat and kids so the whole spectrum of poo! My cat is kind enough to disapear up the field to do his business, my dogs sadly tend to poop like horses on my grass and need tidying up after, my kids generally are well trained now and go to the loo...long time coming thought they would be feral forever. Horses poop I find the least offensive and they do at least a wheelbarrowload each a day, when out and about on my horses the chances are they will poop along the way but not on paths or kids playing grounds so see it doing little harm unless someone goes poking about in it, and I daresay kids shouldn't poke about in whats on the roads anyway. I do not see horse "emissions" being as bad as some of the noxious fumes coming out of lorries and cars on our roads. Hand washing must be key to preventing the unused to dirt society from getting ill after contact with farm/animal droppings etc, on that note did I wash my own hands before making my lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Perhaps you can explain why there isn't a massive glut of ecoli cases amongst farm and stable workers - and why there never has been?

They are dealing with herbivore droppings every day and have been for a couple of thousand years...I don't recall any swathes of sick rural workers choking up the GP's surgery........

I'd say that successfully challenges your challenge
    Pure luck, just like every person who avoids food poisoning or food bourne illness. Or they treat it as a jippy tummy and don't bother the docs.

I do agree that there are more bovine based incidents then equine but this may have something to do with the constistancy of the effluent!

You'd be surprised just how many cases from unknown sources come through our office. More info here - http://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk
    The Big Man

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I'm not really interested in discussing this and have no knowledge myself but would people who are stating things as facts and using figures etc in a discussion please quote/link their source?
    My heid, seeing as that's what you pay your council tax for :-)
    The Big Man

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I'm not really interested in discussing this and have no knowledge myself but would people who are stating things as facts and using figures etc in a discussion please quote/link their source?
    Well Serenity if you don't want to take Bigman's info as correct you could always visit Wick High School tomorrow and hear all about E.coli straight from the horse's mouth. Sir Hugh Pennington is giving a talk there to senior pupils. I think you can guarantee on him being a very reliable link or source to consult.
    Last edited by Venture; 03-Nov-09 at 18:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Well Serenity if you don't want to take Bigman's info as correct you could always visit Wick High School tomorrow and hear all about E.coli straight from the horse's mouth.......
    Now, given that some on here appear to believe that horses are a festering mass of bugs just waiting to kill unsuspecting humans...I'd be tempted to avoid any lecture given by a horse.

Then again...a talking horse would be a hell of a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigman View Post
    Pure luck, just like every person who avoids food poisoning or food bourne illness.....

Pure luck? Hmmmm, not convinced by that.

Would it be more reasonable to say that ecoli in herbivores causes no problems for the vast majority of the rural workers in the UK?
    Otherwise we must be talking about a couple of hundred thousand (made up figure by me for the sake of discussion) workers who are just 'lucky'?

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Now, given that some on here appear to believe that horses are a festering mass of bugs just waiting to kill unsuspecting humans...I'd be tempted to avoid any lecture given by a horse.

Then again...a talking horse would be a hell of a draw.
    .......and would probably talk a lot more sense than some on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    .......and would probably talk a lot more sense than some on here.
    Neigh...that can't be right....

(Eeeyore ways says that....)

Quote Originally Posted by ragdollyanna View Post
    Actually I haven't contradicted myself as I have owned many cats in my lifetime and it just so happens that this one is a bit daft and hasn't figured out that it can poo outside, which is great. This is down to the cat's behaviour. The dog poo problem is down to human behaviour.

Yes - it would be brilliant if all cats behaved like mine but until dog owners start picking up after their dogs, on paths, and even in my front garden, my backside is remaining firmly on my high horse!
    I agree with you that it is down to the cats behaviour whether or not they will use the cat litter or not. my mum's cat only uses the litter if she is truly depserate and there is no way she is going to get outside untill the morning as she spends the night in the house but her other three cats are indoor cats and use the litter all the time as does my cat.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456