Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Absent friends

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    I have never at any time "dissed" anyone for their posts, mundane or otherwise My policy is to live and let live irregardless of my opinions and although I may have "dissed" a few threads, never their authors. What I don't want to read, I don't and consequently don't need to complain. Blether on, Cedric, and ye'll no bother me. Attack me just because you don't agree with me and I will gnash my new false teeth and steam in.I, of course ,speak in jest as I am sure you would'nt attack an old man. Would you????
    BTW I mentione three names and the others. Indefinite number.
    Hit an auld man,never!Gleber2 I'm not"attacking" you.Some of your posts,I agree with 100%,some of your posts 1%.This is a forum on a Community web-site,i.e Caithness Folk will blether about anything and onything........and also disagree.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Do me a little favour?.........Read your first post in this thread,and if you can honestly say that it doesn't sound that you are 'dissing' us other orgers,then I'm in the wrong.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Niall, I wonder if it would help matters if there was some way of indicating why a person has been suspended.

I suspect a lot of problems are created at the moment because when somebody gets suspended most people don't know why it has happened and people end up guessing, me included.

I don't know if it would make a lot of extra work for you all but if, instead of a person vanishing from the members list, they could be "locked out" and a short 'literal' added, say, "Suspended 1 week - Blanking swear word." or whatever the offence was.

Similarly, where somebody is, perhaps inadvertently, pushing their luck a bit far a pre-prepared PM could be fire off at them warning them to "back off".

If such ideas would take up too much time then put it straight in the bin.
    On the other hand, if they could be done on a semi-automatic basis with a couple of key-strokes it might just save a lot of the guess work and questioning, some of which can't can't be easy on any of you.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Hit an auld man,never!Gleber2 I'm not"attacking" you.Some of your posts,I agree with 100%,some of your posts 1%.This is a forum on a Community web-site,i.e Caithness Folk will blether about anything and onything........and also disagree.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Do me a little favour?.........Read your first post in this thread,and if you can honestly say that it doesn't sound that you are 'dissing' us other orgers,then I'm in the wrong.
    Never suggested you were attacking me. and my family goes back to 1700 in Caithness so ye micht say that Ah ken Caithness fowk. I've scrutinised my first post and I can honestly say that I was getting at no-one in particular except who-ever or what-ever(human or computer) was causing people to leave, get suspended or whatever. If I have to stick to straight idiomatic English, devoid of innuendo and humour, then I am afraid I won't be posting much more as I would find that dull and boring. People tend to read what they want into the posts of this Forum and once you're steriotyped, that's it for eternity. I really don't care if there is a superabundance of 'mundane' threads as long as there are a few that I consider worth getting involved in and, of late, the latter have been few and far between. It is the absent friends that I miss because most of the threads I have found interesting have come from them. I am merely stating my opinion. Isn't that, as everyone tells me, what the Forum's for. Felines, pachyderms, flying pigs or chocolate eggs. It's all the same to me. When I do get petulantly attacked then I will come back at the perpetrator with plain English. The number of times I have seen posters vituperated because some poster or another has completely misread and misunderstood a post or has not seen that it was a joke. Live and let live and leave the bruised egos on the other side of the screen and we will all get on a lot better.
    Last edited by Gleber2; 15-Apr-06 at 03:24.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    Stop it fred, that's twice in a couple of days I'm having to agree with you.

If you're carry on like that I'll end up with people thinking I'm turning into a nice person.

What I would probably have taken half a page to say, you have sumed up in a few lines.
    Ochon Ochon, Jaws quite the reverse, I am shocked and stunned that a poster of your caliber, who I have held in good stead, until now, has finally gone over to the dark side.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Ochon Ochon, Jaws quite the reverse, I am shocked and stunned that a poster of your caliber, who I have held in good stead, until now, has finally gone over to the dark side.

Ochon, Ochon, Golach quite the reverse, this dark side of niceness is really quite bright. It is a very pleasant place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by exweeker
    Why are we losing some of the most interesting posters all of a sudden.

i would say the admin has got wise to all you ppl that use that kind of threads to abuse other users in the last few weeks their has been about 5 users that have been stretching the string now it has broke and your calling foul

admin are doing a good job but they have not got the time to read all the posts put up bye you ppl that got nothing better to do than look for some thread thats you can comment on in a bad way and admin also know its better to get rid of all the idiots and keep a happy board their easy counted too all on one hand

keep up the good work admin theirs more good users on here than bad ones hiding behind a name on a screen
    The people who are missing from the org did liven it up so hopefully they will return. And i dont belive them to be idoits just because they have a diffrence of opion and if you call them idoits because of this you lead a sheltered life.And if you dont like what they have to say maybe you should become an ex orger rather than wicker.

Jaws, I'm hesitant to make an announcement or draw attention to the fact that someone has been suspended. Also, adjusting the system to display the reasons for someone's ban would take a lot more time than its worth. We have so few people under suspension and have to suspend such a small number of users it would seem like a poor use of time. The suspension of a user is not secret, obviously its displayed next to their username, neither is the reason. However in most cases very few people care what the reason is, or most people have a pretty good idea of whats happened. Sure, there can be confusion if the offending post bringing about the suspension has been removed from view but a quick PM to me and I'll be happy to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie
    Jaws, I'm hesitant to make an announcement or draw attention to the fact that someone has been suspended. Also, adjusting the system to display the reasons for someone's ban would take a lot more time than its worth. We have so few people under suspension and have to suspend such a small number of users it would seem like a poor use of time. The suspension of a user is not secret, obviously its displayed next to their username, neither is the reason. However in most cases very few people care what the reason is, or most people have a pretty good idea of whats happened. Sure, there can be confusion if the offending post bringing about the suspension has been removed from view but a quick PM to me and I'll be happy to explain.
    Thanks for that Niall. If the current set up is causing no problems I'm happy with that.
    I obviously don't know how the system works at your end or how much work the board causes you.
    I do, however, understand what it's like to work having your motives constantly scrutinised, questioned and under suspicion, especially when it's difficult for you to give a response. It can be very frustrating.
    However, "if it ain't bust - don't fix it" is the order of the day if you are happy with it.

I have, during my life, gained very high qualifications and a great deal of expertise as a high ranking member of many "Serious Rumour Squads".
    It is, unfortunately, a profession I occasionally allow to surface.

I have, in the past, and I cannot promise to change, been suspicious when certain people have been given suspensions.
    Often I have concluded that it was because of their views and occasionally I have puzzled because some have been the most mild and inoffensive of posters.
    More often than not, when I have discovered what the reason was, it has been because they have been silly enough to something as mundane as masking a swear-word.
    Quite often, when I do find the real reason, I am quite disappointed because it removes the reason for me to allow the mascinations of my devious, suspicious little mind to run away with it's self.
    The wilder side of my imagination really does hate my putting restictions on it.
    It brings out it's "William Wallace Complex" - you know the one - "F R E E D O M"!

Unless I think somebody has suffered a savage injustice (which I don't foresee) I am highly unlikely to question such decisions, it's much more fun to sit in the background muttering and moaning and bemoaning their fate.
    The real reason for things happening is usually far less exciting than what people wish to believe.

Default Jaws

We are of a like mind and let that end it. Reason prevails and we can all go back to being good little orgers again.

We are of a like mind and let that end it. Reason prevails and we can all go back to being good little orgers again.
    Best suggestion yet!
    But I reserve the right to start Serious Rumours occasionally, just to keep everybody on their toes.
    (No, I don't mean "tread" on people's toes. I can do that without even trying!)

Did nobody miss me?

unicorn Guest

were you suspended again?

Heavens no, not suspended. I've been been travelling and getting an education in Philosophy. I've learned that Wicca isn't formally classified as a religion by (some) philosophers because we don't have a Deity to whom we must defer. That came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Whoops, I thought I was posting on the "What is your religion?" thread. Apologies for the digression.
    Last edited by crayola; 16-Apr-06 at 00:24.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola
    Heavens no, not suspended. I've been been travelling and getting an education in Philosophy. I've learned that Wicca isn't formally classified as a religion by (some) philosophers because we don't have a Deity to whom we must defer. That came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Whoops, I thought I was posting on the "What is your religion?" thread. Apologies for the digression.
    Sorry Crayola -this is the "absent friends" thing - same lifetime, different thread. Change channels quick!

Well I was absent and it seems that Wicca isn't a religion so I think I'm safe here.

What's happened in recent weeks? This used to to be a friendly place where we shared our innermost thoughts (wishful, wistful, wishy-washy or just plain wacky) and no-one batted an eyelid. Come on Caithness, we can do better than this. Turn on, log in, be cool.

(With humble apologies to that Leary dude who probably never visited God's own County, so wouldn't have heard my improved version of his little ditty.)

Hey witch, of course we missed you. Wicca has never been a religion, ever, and if you think it is, you're missing the point. A calling, a way of life, a devotion, a vocation, a discipline but never a religion. Even the word restricts thought because it usually entails worship and any real witch will tell you that anything that needs to be worshipped is not worth worshipping. But you are a young soul and in the fullness of time you will learn for yourself what it is all about. If you need some-one to teach you these things you are not worth teaching. Look within not out.

This thread was dead and you have made it interesting again. Thank you and welcome back.

For fear of frightening new posters, disable your rep thingy. How did you get all these red marks?
    Last edited by Gleber2; 16-Apr-06 at 02:08.

Hey witch, of course we missed you. Wicca has never been a religion, ever, and if you think it is, you're missing the point. A calling, a way of life, a devotion, a vocation, a discipline but never a religion. Even the word restricts thought because it usually entails worship and any real witch will tell you that anything that needs to be worshipped is not worth worshipping. But you are a young soul and in the fullness of time you will learn for yourself what it is all about. If you need some-one to teach you these things you are not worth teaching. Look within not out.
    I agree with everything you say about Wicca. I'm new to this 'religion' game and I'm still learning. Learning that Wicca is not a religion after all.

This thread was dead and you have made it interesting again. Thank you and welcome back.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gleber2
    For fear of frightening new posters, disable your rep thingy. How did you get all these red marks?
    I used to have two green squares but I transgressed some unwritten (but not unreasonable) rules one night and woke up to five red ones. I believe this condition can be cured if enough people think I'm worth it. I could do as you suggest and hide my battle scars but what good would that do? I prefer to stay out in the open and work my way back to the top of the reputation table on merit. This may take some time.

I used to have two green squares but I transgressed some unwritten (but not unreasonable) rules one night and woke up to five red ones. I believe this condition can be cured if enough people think I'm worth it. I could do as you suggest and hide my battle scars but what good would that do? I prefer to stay out in the open and work my way back to the top of the reputation table on merit. This may take some time.
    Nice to hear from you again Crayola you help liven the place up.

Once again I have had yet another of my misunderstandings clarified.
    I always thought the little green squares were the sign of an imagination gone mouldy and the red squares showed a fully fired up and active imagination.
    On second thoughts, I think I'll stick to my version.

Don't worry about the wrong thread, Crayola, this is Gleber2's thread and I don't think for one minute that he will complain if it wanders a little.
    Besides, most Religions believe in thinking about Absent Friends and hoping for their Safe and Speedy Return so you are not that far off topic!

Did nobody miss me?
    Glad to see you back, if only that you will be better looking than thon owld Gleber2, no really glad to see a free thinker back again, yes you have been missed
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234