Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Absent friends

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict
    Seems some folk need to take a heed of the advice if you don't like it, don't read it.

A thread in a similar vein got 300 replies and over 4000 views and was never off the front page of the forum index until it got lost in a database crash.
    So I'd rather see what others are listening to and maybe pick up a new artist than read endless vapid posts about Homebase not giving 10% off or the chuffing next thing I can have in my toasted sandwich or the state of shops in Wick/Thurso or post about some loon walking around naked!!!!

As to why people are drifting away? I think its the fact that posts are just BORING - we used to have intelligent discussions, and some heated ones at that, on this forum but it seems the ability to even start a semi intelligent thread has been lost on some people.

I think I will join the "missing" in whatever place they have gone to.

Big Brother is popular - doesn't make it "clever" (just banal)

"Don't read it" progresses to "Don't reply/respond to it"

Sorry - music is individual, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla (ooh - and strawberry).
    Reading that "Wick-Fella" is listening to "SoftWhiteUnderbelly" doesn't really stir much stimulation, to be honest.

So, to tortillas..................does anyone else eat them on Poptarts?
    Shoot me now! (rhetorical)

Mareng.
    Last edited by mareng; 13-Apr-06 at 23:29.
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Talking

If your not happy with the posts in here dont read them or start your own thread on http://www.ivegotahugechiponmyshoulder.com/

Have a coke and smile mate

Seems some folk need to take a heed of the advice if you don't like it, don't read it.

A thread in a similar vein got 300 replies and over 4000 views and was never off the front page of the forum index until it got lost in a database crash.
    So I'd rather see what others are listening to and maybe pick up a new artist than read endless vapid posts about Homebase not giving 10% off or the chuffing next thing I can have in my toasted sandwich or the state of shops in Wick/Thurso or post about some loon walking around naked!!!!

As to why people are drifting away? I think its the fact that posts are just BORING - we used to have intelligent discussions, and some heated ones at that, on this forum but it seems the ability to even start a semi intelligent thread has been lost on some people.

I think I will join the "missing" in whatever place they have gone to.

It's not the people who are drifting away that is the problem. It's those that have no choice. The intelligent discussions are the ones that attract attention and normally one can expect to be able to join in one or two. I don't think that anyone who enjoys only the intelligent threads ever really complains about the 80% or more that are of the more mundane . However this is not reciprocated when an abrasive arguement gets shot down by the rest. Good debate sometimes needs to get heated but it does not need to get offensive and personal as it all too frequently gets on this forum. The place where the missing go is a bit boring because we all agree with eveyone else. Our numbers are growing though, come on board.
    Golach, do not confuse my ego with yours. It is you who boasts about having more support than I on this board. Don't you like competition?
    Last edited by Gleber2; 13-Apr-06 at 23:56.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    It's not the people who are drifting away that is the problem. It's those that have no choice. The intelligent discussions are the ones that attract attention and normally one can expect to be able to join in one or two. I don't think that anyone who enjoys only the intelligent threads ever really complains about the 80% or more that are of the more mundane . However this is not reciprocated when an abrasive arguement gets shot down by the rest. Good debate sometimes needs to get heated but it does not need to get offensive and personal as it all too frequently gets on this forum. The place where the missing go is a bit boring because we all agree with eveyone else. Or numbers are growing though, come on board.
    Golach, do not confuse my ego with yours. It is you who boasts about having more support than I on this board. Don't you like competition?
    Exactly - Surely that is what forums are for - not for telling everyone how long it took you to wash the dishes and querying if they did it any quicker?

Should the moderators have feedback categories for purile drivel?

Mareng
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    As I see it this is The Caithness Community Web site, not the gleber2 fan club, or any other individuals personal debating chamber, if the rules that are set by the Administrators is not adhered to then your suspended or banned, we are mostly adults in here, though sometimes I do wonder, the way that so called adults act like spoilt brats. Obey the simple enough rules that you all are reminded of frequently, or is it in the nature of a few in here to try and push the Admin to get banned, then scream Conspiracy. So if fred is right and it is a conspiracy, so what, the Admin have a hard enough job to make this a prize winning web site.
    You are right on the money Golach. The way some people go on about what is mundane and what is interesting would almost suggest that potential posters here need to sit an IQ test to see if their input is going to be stimulating enough for the highbrow users of this site. If the sole purpose is to be mentally stimulated then there are many other boards to visit. Equally it is clear that there are boards out there that let you exercise your full freedom to call your sparring partner anything you want and to threaten them with violence. If that be your goal then why linger here?

I suspect that there is a certain element of trying to be a big fish in a small pond, rather than a sprat in a bigger body of water, behind the reasons why some stay here despite the "tough" moderating. Time after time people are told simply to ignore the offending posts and on and on people claim not to be breaking any site rules. The moderators here have an impossible job in trying to keep everyone happy, it simply cannot be done. Their life could be so much easier if people would be mature enough and courteous enough to use their common sense and realise when the line has been over-stepped. Instead the attitude is "up yours, I'll say what I like and I'll continue to invade every thread with juvenile "banter" to make the point"

When it gets to the stage of schoolteachers in their 50's acting like teenagers and Whacky Racists threatening their neighbours with violence and asking other members to visit another site for a verbal "square go" then I don't think it is unreasonable to say that such behaviour is unacceptable.

Anyway, I'm off this board from now on and will leave it to the more stimulating users. I'll still visit the quiz when I can in order to keep my mundane brain tuned up. Thanks to everyone who left kind comments and pulled me up to sixth in the rep rankings, I'll never know whether I would have qualified for Europe next season now ;o)

Not a religious man I will however paraphrase part of Luke 4:23 as advice.

"Teacher, educate thyself"

Bye.

First of all well said golach this is an award winning forum and let keep it up .

And like they say if you don't like it don't look at it no one is forcing you . I think some people just come on here to complain about threads just coz it doesn't suit them and have no interest in. So they just grumble about other peoples opinions that is what this forum is all about people expressing there opinions .

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    First of all well said golach this is an award winning forum and let keep it up .

And like they say if you don't like it don't look at it no one is forcing you . I think some people just come on here to complain about threads just coz it doesn't suit them and have no interest in. So they just grumble about other peoples opinions that is what this forum is all about people expressing there opinions .
    freedom to express opinions, as long as it doesn't go against the mafia (sorry the clique, no no the golach club)

I'd better go I'll be getting banned for nothing shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr
    freedom to express opinions, as long as it doesn't go against the mafia (sorry the clique, no no the golach club)

I'd better go I'll be getting banned for nothing shortly
    I didnt know there was a golch club iam i missing out on something

Mm the mafia who was the mafia against now let me think ?????

And like they say if you don't like it don't look at it no one is forcing you.

Hmmmmmmm.......

Hmmmmmmm.......

yes madpict the same music on an on an on

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    It's not the people who are drifting away that is the problem. It's those that have no choice. The intelligent discussions are the ones that attract attention and normally one can expect to be able to join in one or two. I don't think that anyone who enjoys only the intelligent threads ever really complains about the 80% or more that are of the more mundane . However this is not reciprocated when an abrasive arguement gets shot down by the rest. Good debate sometimes needs to get heated but it does not need to get offensive and personal as it all too frequently gets on this forum. The place where the missing go is a bit boring because we all agree with eveyone else. Our numbers are growing though, come on board.
    You'll note that I pointed out that those who find a post mundane are not putting anyone down and rarely complain about it. We are all at liberty to say what we want provided we don't break the rules. This includes making observations about the subject matter of the threads.
    However, this thread was started, not to complain, but to ask why. and so far, it is only those who feel their intellect threatened that come on and completely misconstrue what is being said to start of with. I used to enjoy Landmaker because his views were different and created heated debate which all too soon got made into a fight, I enjoyed DW because he could make me laugh and I enjoyed Wickerinca's posts because she was open to new ideas and was not afraid to learn. The Forum is bare without them.
    All one hears now is sage advice telling us not to read posts if one doesn't like the subject. I don't. If we don't like it, we can leave. That's true, one can. But what has made this an award winning Site? It was the spirited debates on subjects that are important and the intellect of those participating. So many of these afore mentioned people are gone or no longer post because of the pointless bickering promulgated by so many backbiting people who cannot seem to see beyond their prejudices.Statusquoism is fine but life is change and it is by pushing the level of our understanding that we progress.
    Last edited by Gleber2; 14-Apr-06 at 03:03.

You injoyed dw posts slagging off peoples dead cats what ever makes your world go round .

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

yes madpict the same music on an on an on
    I beg to differ with you on that, ice box! My music interests are varied, and my posts on "What music are you listening to?" reflect that.

yes it get a bit tedious going on about the same thing the whole time like dead cats and so on . and d w is suspended wickerinca as got her account dismantled
    I've no doubt it will continue to be just as tedious with lost cats and found cats and dead cats and 'hot-tin roof' cats and 'on the tile cats' and hip cats (anybody old enough to remember them?) and Coronation Street cats.

I suspect a lot posters are very quiet at the moment because it's made them go catatonic.

The only cats I care about were the ones I could run over in the road.
    The ones with the little sparkling diamond eyes. Buh-dum, buh-dum, buh-dum!
    Once managed over a hundred before I missed hitting one.

They've even put an end to that part of life's little pleasures, the silly new plastic ones give nowhere near as much satisfaction.
    Tusk, tusk, what a pity, and I thought I was having a bad time when they put a stop to my constant search for little pink elephants.
    That's a sobering thought at any time of day!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran
    I beg to differ with you on that, ice box! My music interests are varied, and my posts on "What music are you listening to?" reflect that.
    Call me boring but i mean i listen a few cds over and over again

faith hill breathless

garth brooks ropin wind

dixi chicks

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    I've no doubt it will continue to be just as tedious with lost cats and found cats and dead cats and 'hot-tin roof' cats and 'on the tile cats' and hip cats (anybody old enough to remember them?) and Coronation Street cats.

I suspect a lot posters are very quiet at the moment because it's made them go catatonic.

They've even put an end to that part of life's little pleasures, the silly new plastic ones give nowhere near as much satisfaction.
    Tusk, tusk, what a pity, and I thought I was having a bad time when they put a stop to my constant search for little pink elephants.
    That's a sobering thought at any time of day!
    yeeha catastrophically well trumpetted (did I spell that right )

I was banned for a while & spent the time watching what was happening, it has been fun to read, interesting & sometimes absolutely hilarious. Recently it all seems quiet & tame (I guess because all the radical posters are getting banned, or getting harranged to the point of puterside) & just as I get back round to posting it all gets to nice & polite zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

JAWS--I hate it when you are drinking juice in a car & the driver runs over cats in the road, most frustrating

I'm off to my trunk............................dream about the dentist

[quote=JAWS]I've no doubt it will continue to be just as tedious with lost cats and found cats and dead cats and 'hot-tin roof' cats and 'on the tile cats' and hip cats (anybody old enough to remember them?) and Coronation Street cats.

How dare you take over my thread with all this about cats!! Haven't we had enough of cats? Has it not been decided by all and sundry that cats are a dead subject? We can't talk about cats or elephants, the Brain Police have decreed. Dead cats are a serious business. Perhaps we should talk about dead cows, dead pigs, dead sheep, dead chickens, dead ducks, dead geese,
    dead turkeys, dead game birds, dead deer, dead fish and all the other of God's creatures which are killed daily to feed the carnivorous ways of the majority who are whining about dead cats. How easy it is to miss the point and whine and in the process, completely twist every statement to augment the whine.
    There seems to be a growing number of posters who object to humour, object to revolutionary thinking, object to a challenging of the status quo and object to those who challenge that status quo and object to me. Too bad. To change a system that is wrong, that system must be challenged and those who do not go along with challenge should give a seasoned argument against it. Not immediately scream that the challenge is wrong because you don't agree with it.
    I like to reply to posts with the feeling they create in me and a seasoned debate is replied to in a calm way. If I am attacked then I will defend in the same mode with which I was attacked. If you can't take it, don't hand it out.
    Icebox, your choice of repeat CD's says a lot!!

Hmmmmmmm.......

Mad Pict, I wonder how many people zone in your ever moving signature and realise the depth and humour in them. You brother in Orcland would be proud of you.

.....tell them as it is or don't tell them at all.....

(btw..... WAY cheeky grin!) (( you'd think I was fae glasgae wi all the btw stuff ay?))

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast