Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rose tinted glesses?

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    We had an old tin bath too but it took ages to heat the water up on the stove so mum use to take us to Govanhill baths where my granny had a turkish bath.

I remember sleeping under grannys fur coat as well as the quilt as it was so cold.
    No carpet either it was lino on the floor......great for sliding on though.
    The nearest public baths were in Wallsend which was 8 mile away from us and it wasn't free so we has to wait our turn for bath night, your right about the coats but they weren't fur ( rich folk) ours were navy greatcoats and the likes LOL. I can remember the pattern of the lino too, dear me we had it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    You certainly need rose-tinted specs for looking at the past, the world was black and white until 1965.
    It wis black and white and only came on two channels until about 1973 in Caithness!

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    We had an old tin bath too but it took ages to heat the water up on the stove so mum use to take us to Govanhill baths where my granny had a turkish bath.

I remember sleeping under grannys fur coat as well as the quilt as it was so cold.
    No carpet either it was lino on the floor......great for sliding on though.
    Hee hee. I remember the piles of coats going on the bed when it got really cold. Like being buried alive!!!
    Oh the lino was great for sliding on Cuddlepop. I used to think it was great as a bairn getting dusters put on my feet to 'skate' and polish at the same time!lo
    Thankfully I never had to bathe in a tin bath.

Also, as Phill said, there would be ice on the inside of the window in the morning.

Whilst I am really thankful for things like central heating etc which has improved life I do feel, sadly, that life has become much more materialistic and there isn't the sense of community there used to be. People are too preoccupied with their own lives to care about others.

Even Hogmanay which used to be a really great event with neighbours visiting each others house for a dram (or ten!lol) seems to be dying out.

I suppose times do change though and for all we have lost we have gained in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    You're lucky the ice was only on the inside of the window. As a child, I had a goldfish in a small tank next to my bedroom window. I'll never forget wakening up to find the water totally frozen into a giant ice cube.
    GOLDFISH! Oh we used to dream of 'avin a goldfish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A7SA...eature=related

Take a look.................and listen......

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    GOLDFISH! Oh we used to dream of 'avin a goldfish!
    We got it on tick, and were trying to fatten it up for Christmas dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by teenybash View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A7SA...eature=related

Take a look.................and listen......
    Thank you for that link,you've got me blubbering now........so many happy memories.
    Played the link for "shuf your granny of a bus" too and thought I'd recognised the scenery and realised the bus was going to Dumfries so thats probably the way we went out of glasgow to visit folks in the 60's.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12