Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rose tinted glesses?

Default rose tinted glesses?

i wis hevin a blether wi ma nana enite an' she wis yappin aboot 'e auld days (ma favourite topic)
    she says that there wisna any bullyin when she wis little an' that all 'e bairnies played tilgither.
    she thinks it wis because nobudy hed anythin', that they were all 'e same.
    apart fie 'e bygies playin tricks on 'e lascies and bein little brutes, all wis accepted in til 'e fold and nobudy wis left oot.

makes ye kinda sad til think that times hev chinged so much. wis things so much better then?

maybe am lookin til 'e past wi rose tinted glesses on, maybe ma nana is too
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    i wis hevin a blether wi ma nana enite an' she wis yappin aboot 'e auld days (ma favourite topic)
    she says that there wisna any bullyin when she wis little an' that all 'e bairnies played tilgither.
    she thinks it wis because nobudy hed anythin', that they were all 'e same.
    apart fie 'e bygies playin tricks on 'e lascies and bein little brutes, all wis accepted in til 'e fold and nobudy wis left oot.

makes ye kinda sad til think that times hev chinged so much. wis things so much better then?

Nah, I don't think you are, although I came from a different part of the UK in the 50s everybody was pretty much the same skint, there were the exceptions the minors for instance they got free coal and always seemed to be better fed, they were the first to afford a car and were the first to have telly. This might not have been the same everywhere but it was where I was raised in NE England. It wasn't till I joined the army that I had 2 pair of boots and a pair of shoes all at once LOL. As for bullying yes it was rife at school even in those days, but they were different communities to up here.

You certainly need rose-tinted specs for looking at the past, the world was black and white until 1965.

see what they're sayin in 'e 'halloween' threid...

ma nana says that all 'e bairnies hed a little verse or a joke til do, or even a dance....now she hardly gets a grunt fie some o' them, wi a baggie held oot for sweeties!
    she did say that some o' them were luvly too tho.

she minds goin intil hooses an hevin til duck for aipples an stuff, aw...i wish i wis on 'e go then....

all 'e stories that 'iss ither wifie used til tell me, up cairndhuna in 19oakcake...'e crack sounds brilliant, an it sounds all kinda innocent....an joyous...

maybe its 'e way they tell them
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    You certainly need rose-tinted specs for looking at the past, the world was black and white until 1965.
    Not so, jox!

1939, quarter of the way through The Wizard of Oz, the world turned colour. Ma Granny minds it well. She says it was pretty grainy colour for a while, too.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post

I don't think you are. Common decency, courtesy and the decline in family values result in lack of social cohesion. Many people cannot even be considerate enough to say 'Please' and 'Thank You' these days. Sad, but true!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Not so, jox!

1939, quarter of the way through The Wizard of Oz, the world turned colour. Ma Granny minds it well. She says it was pretty grainy colour for a while, too.
    Nope, it was definitely 1965-that was when I was born and the world became a blaze of ccolour!

Default Nice Days.

I am sure we all tend to see life through rose tinted glasses when reminiscing about the good old days, but it's hard to define the phrase "we don't know how well off we are".

At different stages of my life my attitude to being well off as changed dramatically and gone through stages of, wealth is important, nice car is important, nice house is important, etc etc, to being able and healthy enough to enjoy the free things, like a walk with the dogs.

It is charming to see the old photos of the kids of yesteryear playing together nicely, but running about with no shoes on holds no charm for me and I would suspect that the mortality rate was a lot lower than today.

I think I would find it interesting to sit with your Grannie and listen to the stories of how things were and I remember my Grandad telling me about the first ever car in Abertillery.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Four Yorkshiremen springs to mind.

"because we were poor"

When the world was pink and all that! It's funny how the mind works, we always seem to find the good things to look back on, or the best side of things.
    I remember as a kid, me and me brother looking out the window one winters morning....and scraping the ice off the inside of the window!
    Aaahh the good olde days........WHAT is was freezin in me bedroom! how is that good????

Thank someone for central heating.
    Last edited by Phill; 28-Oct-09 at 10:04. Reason: Typo

I think the biggest difference is down to wealth and living conditions. We are better off now materialistically than we ever have been. The standard of living in the vast majority of households today would be classed as luxury (yup, ah'm from Yorksher) by my parents back in the 1950's and 60's - and we were pretty OK, really.....

We are wealthier, yes, but we are more concerned with accumulating posessions and less concerned about our neighbours and social issues than previous generations. Selfishness and self-aggrandisement appear to be the norm. Hardly suprising that other cultures look down upon Westerners, is it?

Our ease of living has led to an attitude of selfish indifference to those around us. Not that the past was a better place, was it hellers like, but it was a simpler and more honest attitude to life that prevailed then.

I know it's going back to a subject which has been overexposed of late...

I think the banks are to blame for handing out credit so easily. Years ago you couldn't get a loan unless you said what the loan was for, how long you would take to pay it back and it was an appointment with your bank manager. That stood whether it was a wee loan for a telly or one for a mortgage.

Nowadays, credit is handed out so easily and thus people can 'afford' all sorts of materialistic things.

Due to high house prices (thanks to the banks) women are forced back into work too early after having kids, as the mortgage needs paid.

Thus less full time jobs on the go...jobs which would have been filled by working fathers years ago.

And the vicious circle goes on...

Yes, life is very different I think - we expect to have it all nowadays. These things took our parents a lifetime to build up.

there were bullies then. there was one at our school and ALL the kids were terrified of him. We never had a holiday except to visit relatives in the south. When Santa came he filled your STOCKING, and it was dead exciting. My kids had a pillowslip. My grandkids have several black bin liners - and is it any more exciting? I would say - no. Compared to today we were poor, but we had adequate clothing and although it was nothing fancy, were never hungry. none of us were overweight.
    I recently watched program about a housing site in England somewhere which was reputed to be the most poverty stricken in Britain. 90 percent of the population was out of work, and not even trying to find work cos they were all on benefits. Yet most of them interviewed were grossly overweight, smoked (and not just tobacco) and had either a drink or a drug problem. Most of the kids milling around appeared to be dressed in designer clothes. Every house the reporter visited seemed to have large TVs even if the paper was peeling off the walls. Seems like even the most poverty stricken among us can afford the necessities of life.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

We have become more materialistic without a doubt, and inward looking.

I don't think we can blame the banks entirely for credit, they have a lot to answer for in the way the market and "sell" it but just because I can get a credit card doesn't mean I have to go out and run it to the max.

It is about value and the value people place on things, there is a lot of snobbery about now and this is running in hand with "one upmanship".
    Tie this into perceived wealth and were on the road to nowhere.

Items are cheaper now but more expendable. TV's for instance, how many do we have in our household now and how often do we replace them?
    When I wer' lad we one telly f' years. And we used to have the repair man come out to fix it every 6 months or so. Now, we'd bin it and go buy another. Or we just replace it after a couple of years 'cos it ain't big enough.

We are richer now than ever before (yes, even during the credit crunch) but we have lost sight of the value of things. A throw away society.

I blame it on the Vampires of Portg... Gordon Bro..no....Maggie....no the Taliban.....
    Nah, not that simple I'm afraid, we are all to blame in a way. Society and governments over the years, it all became somebody else's fault and responsibility, never our fault is it?

And, on a more serious note. Wagonwheels, there not as big as they used to be. What's goin' on there?

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    Seems like even the most poverty stricken among us can afford the necessities of life.
    But this is part of the problem, some of the most poverty stricken seem to find the money for beer n' fags, huge telly boxes, skytv and designer clobber.
    But why do they value that as a necessity?

There are people out there barely living hand to mouth but manage to send their kids to school in designer clothes.

People living in social housing and not giving a damn about the state of the property, gardens full of rubbish, windows broken and bare walls inside yet they have a gleaming BMW parked outside.

Why has there been this shift in priorities?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    And, on a more serious note. Wagonwheels, there not as big as they used to be. What's goin' on there?
    And have you seen the ever shrinking penny carmel? Cost a lot more than a penny nowadays for quarter the sweet!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Maybe its ridiculous how you have written this post?

Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    Maybe its ridiculous how you have written this post?
    Trix is unique in that she types as she speaks which most of us find appealing.

Your right Trix the past was viewed as "rosey" in my" back yard" of Glasgow but I can assure you by todays standard I was brought up in poverty with no bathroom in our tenement flat we had to go to the public baths to get clean....but we were happy.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I remember as a kid, me and me brother looking out the window one winters morning....and scraping the ice off the inside of the window!
    Aaahh the good olde days........WHAT is was freezin in me bedroom! how is that good????

Thank someone for central heating.
    You're lucky the ice was only on the inside of the window. As a child, I had a goldfish in a small tank next to my bedroom window. I'll never forget wakening up to find the water totally frozen into a giant ice cube.

These days, I stay in bed until I hear the central heating clicking on!

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    Trix is unique in that she types as she speaks which most of us find appealing.

Your right Trix the past was viewed as "rosey" in my" back yard" of Glasgow but I can assure you by todays standard I was brought up in poverty with no bathroom in our tenement flat we had to go to the public baths to get clean....but we were happy.
    I can remember the old tin bath and toilet in the yard, before we moved to a council house with an in-door bathroom and toilet, but as Phill says you could write your name on the bedroom windows on the frost, and you had to be hardened to the bathroom cold, but that was nowt to going to the toilet in the yard though snow and whatever was coming down .

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    I can remember the old tin bath and toilet in the yard, before we moved to a council house with an in-door bathroom and toilet, but as Phill says you could write your name on the bedroom windows on the frost, and you had to be hardened to the bathroom cold.

We had an old tin bath too but it took ages to heat the water up on the stove so mum use to take us to Govanhill baths where my granny had a turkish bath.

I remember sleeping under grannys fur coat as well as the quilt as it was so cold.
    No carpet either it was lino on the floor......great for sliding on though.
    Last edited by cuddlepop; 28-Oct-09 at 17:27.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast