Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: just waiting for a car crash!

Default just waiting for a car crash!

There was some sort of crash in Ormlie Road tonight and all traffic has been diverted around by my street. Since coming home at 5pm I have heard a minimum of 4 cars come to a screaching stop outside because they have been going too fast for a residential street.

Until the road reopens I am just waiting for one of those cars to not stop in time!

You would think a road cordoned off by the police would make people take stock of their own driving and drive a little more cautiously but then again its tea time and their bellies are rumbling so thats a reason to drive at breakneck speed in a VERY built up area

rant over for now!

Yes I agree with you. I had to drive the detour and some of the drivers I saw were just pushing forward in a very dangerous manor, must have been getting hungry.

I only hope that no one was badly hurt in the accident.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

as allways its just waiting to happen

what got me most was some drivers mounting the pavement when people were walking on them utter ignorance and disregard for safety

Can only assume it's around the Heathfield Road area? I find that a nightmare at the best of times, nevermind when there's a lot of traffic on it!

I was wondering the same thing when driving through it earlier. Also we were trying to get off a side road into the main flow of traffic and would anyone let us out? No. I actually said the person who will let us out will be a young-ish man (past boy racer age). And sure enough - old guy in cap, woman more concerned with her mobile phone than the traffic around her and loads of other woman and older men before a van politely let us out. The first younger male driver. I have turned this off topic a bit (and I am a woman myself) but my stereotypes of selfish drivers turned out exactly true. Anyway there were cars queuing behind us to get out as well, and I know it wasn't a keep clear area but it is that kind of thing that causes rash moves - is it really going to keep you much longer if you let one or two cars out a junction instead of just blocking it. Also people obviously craning their necks to see what had happened instead of concentrating on their own driving. Grrrr. Took about 20 mins to get between the blocked off area due to all this.

you assume correctly Jeid! and yes it is a nightmare even on normal days but it doesn't stop the idiots racing round it!

road must be reopened now as its nice and quiet(ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I was wondering the same thing when driving through it earlier. Also we were trying to get off a side road into the main flow of traffic and would anyone let us out? No. I actually said the person who will let us out will be a young-ish man (past boy racer age). And sure enough - old guy in cap, woman more concerned with her mobile phone than the traffic around her and loads of other woman and older men before a van politely let us out. The first younger male driver. I have turned this off topic a bit (and I am a woman myself) but my stereotypes of selfish drivers turned out exactly true. Anyway there were cars queuing behind us to get out as well, and I know it wasn't a keep clear area but it is that kind of thing that causes rash moves - is it really going to keep you much longer if you let one or two cars out a junction instead of just blocking it. Also people obviously craning their necks to see what had happened instead of concentrating on their own driving. Grrrr. Took about 20 mins to get between the blocked off area due to all this.
    I may regret posting this, but I was only talking about this yesterday.

I have lived up here for about two and a half years now (but driving here for longer). There appears to be a very much ME mentality with driving here. You can sit at a junction and cars will block you in, when they can only progress a few feet. There appears to be an attitude where "I have right of way so I'll go " even if it isn't practical to do so.

I just can't get my head around this. Another very bad habit is that vehicles approaching a junction too fast sometimes appear not to look and quite a lot of the time they do not stop at all.

There was almost an accident on Saturday (Princes Street Thurso) when a Land Rover that had been parked facing the wrong way, pulled out from the kerb (apparently without looking either way) into my path one way and immediately into the path of a van. How this van missed it I will never know.

I have driven in almost every major city in the UK (including London) and have never come across such regular and daily inconsiderate driving. I really can't work this out as I think Caithness people really are the most friendly people I've ever come across.

I don't even want to get started on the "boy racer" culture.

the council were working outside riverside replicas today....i seen 2 near misses,i seen a silver astra lose its back end at glengolly but somehow corrected it......and a few other close calls today.....absolute shocking!!!

Okay going totally off topic now but in response to the above - I agree. Seen nowhere else with as selfish driving. My personal favourite is two cars stopping on opposite sides of the road, winding their windows down and having a good old catch up. No matter how many cars are waiting behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by highland red View Post
    I may regret posting this, but I was only talking about this yesterday.

I have lived up here for about two and a half years now (but driving here for longer). There appears to be a very much ME mentality with driving here. You can sit at a junction and cars will block you in, when they can only progress a few feet. There appears to be an attitude where "I have right of way so I'll go " even if it isn't practical to do so.

I just can't get my head around this. Another very bad habit is that vehicles approaching a junction too fast sometimes appear not to look and quite a lot of the time they do not stop at all.

There was almost an accident on Saturday (Princes Street Thurso) when a Land Rover that had been parked facing the wrong way, pulled out from the kerb (apparently without looking either way) into my path one way and immediately into the path of a van. How this van missed it I will never know.

I have driven in almost every major city in the UK (including London) and have never come across such regular and daily inconsiderate driving. I really can't work this out as I think Caithness people really are the most friendly people I've ever come across.

I don't even want to get started on the "boy racer" culture.
    It's not just caithness inverness is just as bad. In inverness there are very few people who will let you out/in and if you can't get out/in and end up making people wait the horns start going. Most of the time you have to be quick on your tyres and get in a space quick before someone else gets it. Curtoesy often just gets you stuck so hardly anyone does it. Seems in your opinion that caithness and inverness have the same sort of "me" drivers for different reasons.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Can only assume it's around the Heathfield Road area? I find that a nightmare at the best of times, nevermind when there's a lot of traffic on it!
    You want to try getting a 40 ft coach round there!
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Spread some carpet tacks on the road, that usually works.

[quote=highland red;612595]I may regret posting this, but I was only talking about this yesterday.

[/quote

I have to say i have also noticed this.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.