Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maternity ward invasion

Default Maternity ward invasion

I am going to stick my head over the parapet on this one and risk it being shot off!
    For the last couple of weeks I and my OH have been seal watching in the hope of seeing a few pups which we have achieved without having to set foot on any beach.
    I was therefore most dismayed on my recent two visits to a certain bay to see whole families,children shouting and screaming,dogs off the lead on the beach despite the fact that there are many seals and some pups.
    Just think, if you were heavily pregnant and in the maternity ward, would you appreciate an invasion by unwanted visitors,shrieks and yells and being barked at?
    As this only happens for a short period each year surely it is possible to show a little responsibility towards wildlife and stay off the beach.

no shooting from me Lizz just support!

surely adults should realise how much distress this would cause nursing mother seals but obviously not - hopefully your post will make some think about their actions

ummm what beaches should we avoid? is it all of them?i honestly didnt have a clue that it was pupping time. not been to the beach recently but was actually planning to go this week if the weather held with both kids and dogs!
    i would not ever intentionally disturb mother and pups... but i could very easily have done it as i wouldnt have any idea that they would be there.
    how long does this last and what areas should we avoid?
    that would be a great help...
    http://itqueries.com/

I'm amazed that people know so little and care even less about the wildlife on their doorstep! Maybe people hereabouts go around wearing their balaclava's back to front!
    I've always found the Biodiversity Forum on the Org to be a great source of information.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

No need to avoid all the beaches brandy, I would suggest you stay out of the area that runs from Brough Harbour to Reiss sands round the north east coast.
    The seals will be pupping for a few weeks yet but I think that by the end of November the majority of pups will be weaned.
    Take a look on the biodiversity section as there is more information there.

I really don't think you need to stoop to insults just because not everyone is as up on their wildlife as you.

There is a number of folks who knbow which beaches to go to look for seal pups, but if you ask them where they are to avoid going near with your dog you are ulikely to be told which beaches for fear you are only after going to scare them away anyhow, so either way you can't win.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    I really don't think you need to stoop to insults just because not everyone is as up on their wildlife as you.

There is a number of folks who knbow which beaches to go to look for seal pups, but if you ask them where they are to avoid going near with your dog you are ulikely to be told which beaches for fear you are only after going to scare them away anyhow, so either way you can't win.
    I don't see any insults in Lizz's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I don't see any insults in Lizz's post.
    I think it was gronnuck who was insulting and not lizz. Personally I wouldn't delibrately disturb any nursing mother, but like Brandy, I plead ignorance. I'm sure the owners of the screaming kids and barking dogs don't know about it either. A signpost warning people might be an idea, but as already suggested, it might lead some people to the very spot for very different reasons.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Exclamation

Here's a link to Bio-D thread for more info:- http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=87077

p.s. I would pity any dog that on the toothy side of a Mama seal!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

lets see ... i have two children, two dogs, a husband, a cat, and multiple other things in my world ... the biodiversity in my house is enough to keep my head spinning. i live in the town, not the country. no i do not know very much about the wildlife and fauna to tell you the truth. i dont have the time or energy to spend learning at the moment.
    HOWEVER,
    i would never intrude on something like seal birthing or nursing their pups, i know its a critical time. just because i dont know when they have their babies or what beaches they have them on, does not mean i dont care.
    where i come from we dont even have seals.
    i asked so i would know where not to go,
    weve not been to the beach in a while and i had planned to go, but as its not a good time then we can easily wait. not a big deal.
    dont know why this has gotten a bee in my bonnet, but it has... ahhh well... sorry to rant.
    http://itqueries.com/

Have pmed you brandy.

Lizz well done to you for pointing out this,there are a few people who either dont know or sadly dont care about the wildlife we have but for the most it is just that they dont know about when pupping season is.Thankfully most of the pups are born on hard to access beaches but not always!As I said in the biodiversity section try to avoid pups and seals whenever possible but if you think that one is in trouble let the BDMLR know(01825765546) or 07707219819 or the SSPCA and trained medics wil be sent out to assess the animal x

oh! and for those of you who would like to know more about the seals why not come along to the xmas fayre on the 28th November at Thurso Sea cadet hall,where there will be demonstrations and plenty of medics to answer any questions you may have x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

it never fails me how people are so misled about wild life and how they (i take it most have come from cities and have no concempt of real life in the country/out doors) these seals have survived being culled for oil/food and by the number that are around at the moment something needs to be done to control their numbers,
    that is why there is so many sightings of killer whales around caithness
    or should the ones who like spotting and reporting them be classed as harassinging them,
    the next thing that will be requested is that all side roads and possibley most major roads be closed becaused someone might knock down a bunny rabbit!!!!
    Last edited by whaligoechiel; 29-Oct-09 at 21:04.

Default Objection!

Are you implying that I am a city born do gooder who has no concept of nature?
    If so, you are very much mistaken and I merely made the request that people be careful during the pupping season.
    With regard to the numbers of Atlantic Grey seals around the county's coast,over the years that I have been visiting and residing here, their numbers have suffered several fluctuations due to viral infections and other natural causes
    I was also some what surprised by your comments about Orca/Killer Whales as to the best of my knowledge the number of sightings has dropped drastically in the area.

what I am implying is live with nature and not in a land of make believe
    if you are not a city born do gooder you only have to take a look around you to see the number of seals that are round the coast surely you can see they are not endangered
    yes there a difference between common and grey but have you ever been over to stoma where they number Hundreds/thousands of both or take a walk around any caithness coast
    fishermen are asked to conserve fish stock (but!!!!)
    Atlantic Salomon are being classed as an endangered species but you only to look in any river estuary where there are now numerous seals waiting for an easy meal
    if there were only a few seals left in caithness waters I would be there helping to save them
    another gripe is why charter airplanes at a cost of £---- to rescue a pup where most would survive if left alone
    why not spend your money on air ambulances for people

Who said anything about Atlantic Greys being endangered?
    Thousands of seals on Stroma, where? I have been across there and saw maybe a little in excess of a hundred but certainly not thousands.
    Atlantic Soloman? I presume that you are referring to salmon and their depletion has largely been down to overfishing and problems caused with infection.
    With regard to spending money on air transport that is a matter for the charities and their supporters who get no money from central government.
    I come originally from an area that runs air ambulances which again are a charitable trust, the only salary being paid by government ,that of the paramedics who travel with it.

so if grey seals are not endangered what is all the fuss about one or two being disturbed and stoping families having a enjoyable walk and a day out

what Salomon disease are you referring to as a lot of people who are employed in fishing would like to know

Quote Originally Posted by whaligoechiel View Post
    what Salomon disease are you referring to as a lot of people who are employed in fishing would like to know
    The only "Salomon" disease I could find on Google could be athletes foot see the link

http://www.milletsports.co.uk/footwe...=google_ppc_uk
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

good one golach a slip of finger when typing

You wrote Salomon, not me, and if you had read my post you would have realised the error.
    As regards the seals being disturbed, whilst I quite agree about them not being endangered, the mother will quite easily abandon her pup and it does not take long for a species to decline and appear on The Red List.
    Surely it is not too much to ask that for a period of aproximately four weeks in each year, people could be circumspect in their actions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast