Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refused Take-away

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    Ask a silly question do u have to spend min of £10 if using a debit card or does that apply if your paying for cash just wondered if the banks charge them for each transaction using a debit card

I was paying cash, but never got as far as opening my purse!!!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Oh ok, never thought of that. I doubt Fran rolled in there drunk though,maybe the could use discretion or something.
    Imagine the scenario:

They serve a perfectly sober Fran, who then tells her pals how good the meal was. The news passes on to the teenage binge-drinking pal of the son (Grandson?) of one of her pals, who then decides to go for a curry-oot (see what I did there? ) himself, after an evening drinking the day away in the pub.

Imagine how angry said ned would be at being told "Nae chance, sonny-Jim".

I'd hazard a guess that they quite possibly wouldn't want that sort of customer, and it would be better to knock the whole 'serving single carry-oot meals' right on the head from the get-go.

Just a theory, mind you.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Imagine the scenario:

They serve a perfectly sober Fran, who then tells her pals how good the meal was. The news passes on to the teenage binge-drinking pal of the son (Grandson?) of one of her pals, who then decides to go for a curry-oot (see what I did there? ) himself, after an evening drinking the day away in the pub.

Imagine how angry said ned would be at being told "Nae chance, sonny-Jim".

I'd hazard a guess that they quite possibly wouldn't want that sort of customer, and it would be better to knock the whole 'serving single carry-oot meals' right on the head from the get-go.

Just a theory, mind you.
    Ok, would a cut off time for serving take aways work? Just that if your single and want a curry for one it's not very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Ok, would a cut off time for serving take aways work? Just that if your single and want a curry for one it's not very handy.
    You're right, it's not very handy at all.

A cut-off point might work, I don't know though. It's not my trolley.

You're right, it's not very handy at all.

A cut-off point might work, I don't know though. It's not my trolley.

Would it be the same if Fran asked for a table, would she have to spend over a tenner? I just don't see the point.

[quote=Metalattakk;612303]Imagine the scenario:

-Jim".

What a load of rubish in this post.I'm sure if i had recommended them they would have had a lot of customers.
    My grandson is only in primary school so has no teenaGE BINGE DRINKING pals who would go for a carry out., and my friends dont have binge drinking sons.

Also, if it was that the take away wont serve single people, that would be discrimination. Also, i think they are breaking the law as there are no signs to say there is a £20 minimum spend.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I have been there a few times for a take-away and once with a friend for a meal. I went for my usual curry takeaway and was told i would have to spend £10. I said i just wanted a curry and rice£8.95 and was told there was another takeaway up the road i could use.
    I have never heard of a minimum for a takeaway -- this policy will surely hurt their business.

Exclamation

They obviously don't want to serve customers who are only after a cheap carry-oot. (Maybe it's the post-pub culture they want to avoid? I don't know.)

People seem to forget that it's their choice who to serve, after all.
    Actually, depending on the circumstances, that may not be the case.
    If they have a menu on show in the window, or in the shop, then in Scots Law they are offering a contract.
    They would have to have bliddy good reasons to refuse any custom and not abide by that contract!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Actually, depending on the circumstances, that may not be the case.
    If they have a menu on show in the window, or in the shop, then in Scots Law they are offering a contract.
    They would have to have bliddy good reasons to refuse any custom and not abide by that contract!
    Nope, that's wrong. They don't have to serve anybody. They can refuse to serve whomsoever they like, and they don't even have to give a reason why.

Exclamation

I shall continue to think you are quite wrong on that point.
    If you were talking about a licenced premises refusing alcoholic drink , I would agree, but not a take-away food outlet.

Imagine the scenario:

-Jim".
    What a load of rubish in this post.I'm sure if i had recommended them they would have had a lot of customers.
    My grandson is only in primary school so has no teenaGE BINGE DRINKING pals who would go for a carry out., and my friends dont have binge drinking sons.
    Oh for crying out loud Fran, it was only an example, just a hypothetical scenario!

(Are people completely incapable of comprehending a simple post? I used to fear for the youth of today. What hope have they got if this is indicative of the senior generations?)

Also, if it was that the take away wont serve single people, that would be discrimination. Also, i think they are breaking the law as there are no signs to say there is a £20 minimum spend.
    They are certainly not breaking any law. Too many people have this 'the customer is always right' attitude. They can serve (and refuse to serve) whoever they damn well like.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    I shall continue to think you are quite wrong on that point.
    If you were talking about a licenced premises refusing alcoholic drink , I would agree, but not a take-away food outlet.
    Take-away food outlets work to the same principles as normal shops. They cannot be forced to sell you anything.

I think you may have to check up on Scots Law!

Show me where any vendor is not allowed to refuse service.

In Scots Law if you advertise a service, whether it be in a newspaper, shop front/interior, whatever, then you are entering a Contract.
    You cannot just then back out of that Contract willy-nilly!
    You have to have Legal grounds for refusing to enter a Contract with a prospective customer.
    The exception to this is the alcohol Licensed trade.

Can you quote a source for this information?

This probably covers it:- http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/a...97/1997034.htm

unless the supplier has a disclaimer about the £10 charge.

So you're saying that advertising a service constitutes entering a contractual agreement?

I don't believe for a second that that can possibly be true.

Anyway it's getting late, I'll check out the contents of your link and do some more research in the morning. Cheers for now.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

i had the same thing, we phoned in for a curry to be told £10 minimum i told the wife to say no thanks, i then went and looked at the menu and i does state minimum order of £10, anyway told them to ram it and went to the curry king, never again it was rubbish to say the least,

Quote Originally Posted by riggerboy View Post
    i had the same thing, we phoned in for a curry to be told £10 minimum i told the wife to say no thanks, i then went and looked at the menu and i does state minimum order of £10, anyway told them to ram it and went to the curry king, never again it was rubbish to say the least,
    Is this on their takeaway menu riggerboy? I checked mine and could find nothing about a minimum order of £10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast