Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats

Default Cats

Does any one have any idea for keeping cats out of the garden, we seem to have all the neighbour hood cats having a party, they dig up any new plants and poo all over.

We have 2 dogs and if they are out then the cats stay away but I have no intention of making the poor dogs stay out all the time.

I accept, cats roam and I don't want to harm them, but please help

Quote Originally Posted by changilass
    Does any one have any idea for keeping cats out of the garden, we seem to have all the neighbour hood cats having a party, they dig up any new plants and poo all over.

We have 2 dogs and if they are out then the cats stay away but I have no intention of making the poor dogs stay out all the time.

I accept, cats roam and I don't want to harm them, but please help
    Get a beeg water pistol you know the type I mean, and soak them they are quick learners, they will not come back, if not get slabs and throw away the bushes
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

unicorn Guest

Default Moggies

The only way to keep cats out of your garden is to get one of your own that will defend it's territory.Don't know of any plants,powder,scarers that work but the water pistol might.

Cool Cat deterent....

another one to try....kiddies toy snakes lying in the borders...not sure of success rate tho'.

Smile

Thanks for all your answers.

Will try the water gun and the snakes (sounds just daft enough to work)

Have tried the plants before with no joy.

Can't get a cat it would probably scare my 2 poor 'wee' dogs

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

try small mirrors ,thry see their reflection think its the house cat vammose their gone, if you dont have mirrors plastic bottles full of water works to ?????

There was something in the news papers today about a P- Off plant... and cats are supposed to hate its smell.

Am I the only one who has owned cats for years, lived near to other cat owners, being a garden owner and never to have lost a plant or found cat excrement ever in my garden? I have never had a cat problem, even my own. I think that is the secret, if you want to get rid of cats in the garden then get a cat!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Am I the only one who has owned cats for years, lived near to other cat owners, being a garden owner and never to have lost a plant or found cat excrement ever in my garden? I have never had a cat problem, even my own. I think that is the secret, if you want to get rid of cats in the garden then get a cat!
    You're not alone Rheghead, I have a cat and never have a problem with cat pooh in my garden. I think the neighbours are bothered with it though..lol
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Thumbs down cats

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Just how arrogantly self centred can you get. keep the pests at home they are supposted to be domesticated and CAN be trained to stay in the house and use a litter tray (if you are not too lazy to do it) where YOUR pet should be not in someone else's garden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob M
    Just how arrogantly self centred can you get. keep the pests at home they are supposted to be domesticated and CAN be trained to stay in the house and use a litter tray (if you are not too lazy to do it) where YOUR pet should be not in someone else's garden!
    And you call me self centred? you are a joke!! LOL
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

YES I got a new toy last week and it is a water gun. Keep it at your door ready and full of water and when you see a cat you hurry out and spray it The cat hates water and it clears. You aren't hurting it, just wetting it and hopefully it doesn't want to come back in a hurry.

The exposed soil in my garden is covered with small twiggy branches and wooden skewers poked into the ground at 6 inch intervals, and orange peels and cayenne pepper. The neighbour cats have found a new latrine but if they wander back with toilet paper in hand, a few good squirts from the hose should finish them off.

p.s. I really am fond of cats.

Cool Cats and stuff

I got the new Betterware catalogue they have a cat deterrent. Have not tried it but reckon I will give it a shot.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

grow a huge patch of catnip well away from where you want the cats? don't know about it's success.. but, sounds good.

Smile

Cats hate wet soil so keep it well watered, at night is the best time,have found that citrus peel,camphor[mothballs] and also old teabags sprinkled with eucalyptus oil deters them......
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

Default cats

Hi there a PIR thingy (like the one on security lights) thats turns on your sprinkler when the cats come into your garden .I've seen it work and you would think the cats had an electric shock ,it works great .Sorry but its funny to see it in action ...

Quote Originally Posted by dozy
    Hi there a PIR thingy (like the one on security lights) thats turns on your sprinkler when the cats come into your garden .I've seen it work and you would think the cats had an electric shock ,it works great .Sorry but its funny to see it in action ...
    where can you buy this thingy?

Under a Land Rover and sometimes behind the wheel !

Wink Scat that cat

Cats have every right to roam, my four dogs think otherwise. Get yourself a dog... just kidding. Dogs can wreck your veggie patch quicker than cats.

Orange, lemon or lime peel does the trick.. cats hate citrus scent. You can also get cat crystals which work in the same way. Pepper dust and JEYES fluid are both very good.
    The best ever device is an ultra sonic sound box which cats stay well clear off. I had an ongoing problem off cat mess on my gravel drive. Plugged in one of these and honestly... no more cat. (does not effect dogs)
    You purchase these from "Dobies" the seed experts online or mail order.
    www.dobies.co.uk. Look up garden equipment, then pest control and you will find the Cat stop ultrasonic cat scarer.
    Hope this is some help.
    ONE LIFE... LIVE IT...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast