Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Caithness die without Dounreay?

I've heard that when we all make the exodus out of Caithness then the herring is thinking about making a comeback.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

[QUOTE=Rheghead;612110]I've heard that when we all make the exodus out of Caithness then the herring is thinking about making a comeback.[/QUOT

Aye but the EEC fishing fleet will get wind of them and decimate them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Would have no problem with that but generating plant really should be built closer to where it's needed - i.e. where the industry & population are. That's one of the problems I have with all the turbines - surely they should be sited nearer to the areas of high demand to minimise tranmission losses.
    Doesn't seem like that will be a problem shortly: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/8325105.stm

Default Will Caithness die without Dounreay?

Dounreay is the biggest employer in the county and it's going to close soon.
    Just be grateful that it has brought wealth to the County over the years, plus of course lots of hot spots, but of course it could have been worse, the only reason it was located here was because they were not sure if it might blow up. May be the Government in Westminster all those years ago, was not to concerned about Caithness or its people, they are probably only interested now in getting of the sinking ship, and keeping as much money as they can carry. As for renewable energy and the millions already invested in Orkney, i am just hoping Caithness may get a few crumbs from the cake.

Come on the renewables!

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    Come on the renewables!
    Aw c'mon that sounds pretty boring always the same stuff an' all!!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

This should be an interesting topic. I plan to stay with this thread to see how things develop for Caithness. I remember Dounreay was a big employer when I was in Thurso.

Default closing

well if its closing how soon is soon..?
    Totus EGO postulo ut exsisto gauisus est Deus , meus loving uxor , quod meus kids.

Approx. 2025 according to DSRL's website

Default Once Dounreay has closed

Reply to tonkatojo

No point wishing for a new nuclear power station as when built it would employ less than 100 people.

Less than Tescos!!

I think theyr'e going to build a railway between the planned expanded port of Scrabster and Dounreay for transporting radioactive waste.

Before they will need any railway a storage facility would have to be built in the UK and that is a long time from now.

Default yeah

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    What would the reaction be from the population if we told Salmond where to go, and invited another nuclear company to build another generating reactor and ditch all those ruddy windmills.
    Thats the best idea ive heard in years its about time they realised nuclear power is the way froward and a clean form of energy, those sodding windmills are nothing more than a eyesore at best and not worth anything to anyone except the land owners that have allowed them on

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Would have no problem with that but generating plant really should be built closer to where it's needed - i.e. where the industry & population are. That's one of the problems I have with all the turbines - surely they should be sited nearer to the areas of high demand to minimise tranmission losses.
    Maybe wind turbines are better situated where there is more wind?
    Last edited by George Brims; 27-Oct-09 at 00:21. Reason: It's monday and I can't type to save my life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12