Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Caithness die without Dounreay?

Default Will Caithness die without Dounreay?

Dounreay is the biggest employer in the county but it's going to close soon.

Will there be mass unemployment or a mass exodus of ex-Dounreay workers on the scale of the Highland Clearances or will offshore renewable energy, Atlantic oil, increased tourism or some other new industry save us?

I fear for the worst but that may just be my ignorance of recent developments.

What do you think?

Default lala land

well its going to be some time before it closes forever and there will be a gradual reduction in staffing levels. and besides that they appear to be building more than they are tearing down. also next door is to be decommissioned at some point. so who knows realy. and then there are a lot of very well off people whos intrests would not be best served by its closure so i dont see the gravy train coming of the rails quite yet.
    Totus EGO postulo ut exsisto gauisus est Deus , meus loving uxor , quod meus kids.

I reckon there's something big coming in. A lot of land's been changing hands between Scrabster and Forse, Babcock's bought Dounreay Site Restoration Limited and I've seen a few Babcock Rail vans running about the place.

Ooh, this is Caithness speculation at its best.

What could it be? A new nuke station, a tidal or wave power base, an oil base, a giant Asda or a landing site for aliens?

I like the alien theory. Could do with a boost to the tourist industry.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

It could be the wrong sort of aliens.

Does anyone know what's happening on the marine energy front?

I love your sig Katarina.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    It could be the wrong sort of aliens.

Does anyone know what's happening on the marine energy front?

I love your sig Katarina.
    This is the latest I can find on marine energy:

http://www.renewableenergyfocus.com/...-applications/

The licences were originally supposed to be awarded over the summer, but it looks like it's slipped back.

Default babcocks re bns

well they actualy bought ukaea
    Totus EGO postulo ut exsisto gauisus est Deus , meus loving uxor , quod meus kids.

Sorry, got my levels wrong! It's UKAEA that owns DRSL isn't it?

Default dsrl

not realy sure i think they may of had a controlling share..perhaps not

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Cool

no way will caithness die without dounreay we have tesco now lol

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Ooh, this is Caithness speculation at its best.

What could it be? A new nuke station, a tidal or wave power base, an oil base, a giant Asda or a landing site for aliens?
    You asked the question so why are you so sarcastically moking the answer?

If and when it does happen its gonna be really hard for Caithness to recover!

What is there left to keep us or even the next generation employed??

Nothing...

Yeah there is Tescos and the other supermarkets, I assume Tesco emloys the most of all the supermarkets and they employ what a couple of hundred max?

How many does Dounreay employ between staff and contractors a thousand, a couple of thousand??

Big difference there!!!

Let's face it, Dounreay pays wages comparable with the Civil Service. It gives a good pension, it gives good annual leave, etc. So what can replace it? Let's remember that before Dounreay came along the population of Thurso was only 3000 at most, yet now's it around 9000.

I don't know what the remainder of population of Caithness was pre-Dounreay however I'm assuming here that it has increased dramatically since it's inception.

What else is left post Dounreay? BT? BT in Manpower clothes. Rolls Royce? Due to close circa 2014.

What we need is impetus in the local economy from the Government in some sort or other, but don't know what that will be.....let's hope 2025 isn't the real end date.

Even though Dounreay is the biggest single employer and contract employer in the area, I believe that many businesses, once dependent on the site, have realised the long-term demise of the site and have been diversifying into other areas in anticipation of the run-down. I also understand that the Dounreay site is itself in the process of diversifying in order to try and retain jobs in the longer term.

I do feel that something (possibly including offshore renewables) will turn up to take on the mantle, although it's more likely to be multiple small and medium employers rather than one big one. This is a positive development as having all your eggs in one basket is not a good long term strategy - too many communities have died because of it.

As an incomer to the area (albeit 30+ years ago) and small businessman myself (no height jokes please ), I fervently hope there is sufficient work to sustain those who choose to stay here.

I would suspect the closure would be felt locally, but not affect the rest of Caithness so much?

What would the reaction be from the population if we told Salmond where to go, and invited another nuclear company to build another generating reactor and ditch all those ruddy windmills.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    What would the reaction be from the population if we told Salmond where to go, and invited another nuclear company to build another generating reactor and ditch all those ruddy windmills.
    Don't get me started on those bloomin' windmills
    What a blot on the landscape

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    Would have no problem with that but generating plant really should be built closer to where it's needed - i.e. where the industry & population are. That's one of the problems I have with all the turbines - surely they should be sited nearer to the areas of high demand to minimise tranmission losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Would have no problem with that but generating plant really should be built closer to where it's needed - i.e. where the industry & population are. That's one of the problems I have with all the turbines - surely they should be sited nearer to the areas of high demand to minimise tranmission losses.
    The idea was to also generate jobs and wealth for the Caithness economy not elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast