Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How can we improve the General Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    Am not an avid follower of any other forums, but I would imagine that Caithness.org isn't alone with "bullies" - how do other forums go about tackling it.
    I'm only on one other Forum and that's a motorbike one.

The threads on there are very robust - and lead to some hair raisng posts that would be modded out in five seconds flat on here. What tends to happen is that anyone who is seriously out of line tends to get beaten down by their peers.
    But, as I said, they would be modded off here before it ever went that far - and rightly so IMO. This is a forum open to all tastes and ages....which automatically makes it a difficult place to find a balance that suits everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    Am not an avid follower of any other forums, but I would imagine that Caithness.org isn't alone with "bullies" - how do other forums go about tackling it.
    There called Moderators. They get suspended or banned.

More rules would just be a disaster. If anything we need less.

The only way to improve the forum is for the forum users to improve their manners,it is like a school playground on here sometimes we all have different opinions,the trick is to allow others to have theirs whether you agree with it or not x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    The only way to improve the forum is for the forum users to improve their manners,it is like a school playground on here sometimes we all have different opinions,the trick is to allow others to have theirs whether you agree with it or not x
    Agree totally well said Thumper xx

I was going to reply, then I wasn't and then I wrote a long rambling diatribe, then I binned it and now this:

I am probably very guilty of being an ijeet and posting silly nonsense on threads, but hey, it's just my feeble attempt to inject a little humour into proceedings.

There are a few people on here that are frankly a bit precious and forget that this is an open forum on the tinterweb where anyone can, and do, come along and post whatever they want. They can hide behind random usernames, maybe two or three, and stir up the melting pot. Trolls are about, learn to live with it.

Heavy moderation stops the forum being a forum, it just becomes a channel for the chosen few.

It appears to me that some people forget that for a "forum" for "debate" to work, it requires people with differing opinions.

My suggestion is for the mod's to consider an adult / over 18 section. Less rules, more open topics, self regulated threads and the faint of heart be warned.
    I've seen a similar thing on a different forum, entry to this section can be verified via Paypal type setup, members donate say minimum £1 to the Org and it then verifies the age, name etc. The trolls are thinned out, the Org's supported and we can have a good, robust debate with less fear of an infarction!

Just my tuppence........

Make it a infractionable offence to quote another's post would be an improvement towards harmony.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well said, totally agree there. People seem to take a different opinion soooo personal like an insult or summat.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

people take things to serious

and people dont like to be told any different

FACT

I aree with Phill @ post #26.

i was called a self indulgent idiot not so long ago for no reason....should i take this serious?

Only take it seriously if its true - if the cap don't fit then don't wear it lol

Totally agree with Rheggers a few posts above.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

mmm bring back Percy. We got some darn good debates going when he was posting on this forum. Love him or hate him he could fairly get the threads going.

In all honesty playground antics is a big problem on the boards just now. Posters just get fed up and move on or sit back and lurk a while.

pHILLS POST -26
    nO WAY-yOU WANT SUMMAT LIKE THAT---gO SUMWHERE ELSE.

15. Default

To simply respect the opinions of others would go a long way to improve things as Thumper has stated and also there are a few who have this "all about me " attitude where everything they say seems to be set in stone and hell mend anyone who disagrees.

Its impossible to have a meaninful debate on here anymore.
    Dont blame the "good posters" who dont seem to post anymore.
    Dont blame the "offended" and accuse them of "usually missing the point anyway"
    because thats just arrogantly dismissing their opinions which is exactly where the problem lies.

Be "grown up" grow a thick skin

Don't take offence - even when it is intended, if folks react then the "bully" wins and attacks even more.

It's not real life, get over it!

Get rid of some of the petty rules, smileys rule

If you really don't like a particular poster add them to your "ignore list"

Make the mods visible, nothing worse than "secret policemen" despised the world over in all decent societies, if mods are unknown then they are "secret policemen"

Accept that people have different likes and dislikes, if you don't like a thread that someone has started don't post on it to complain, just pass it by.

Just a few thoughts...
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by horseman View Post
    pHILLS POST -26
    nO WAY-yOU WANT SUMMAT LIKE THAT---gO SUMWHERE ELSE.
    Why not try and suggest something positive yourself instead of dismissing someone elses suggestion.
    At least he made the effort to come up with his own idea which is after all what this thread is about.Typing nO WAY-yOU WANT SUMMAT LIKE THAT---gO SUMWHERE ELSE
    isnt helping one little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    Be "grown up" grow a thick skin

Don't take offence - even when it is intended, if folks react then the "bully" wins and attacks even more.

It's not real life, get over it!

Get rid of some of the petty rules, smileys rule

If you really don't like a particular poster add them to your "ignore list"

Make the mods visible, nothing worse than "secret policemen" despised the world over in all decent societies, if mods are unknown then they are "secret policemen"

Accept that people have different likes and dislikes, if you don't like a thread that someone has started don't post on it to complain, just pass it by.

Just a few thoughts...
    Agree on all the above. Too many people on here rise to the ocassion and makes things worse. The ignore solution is the best of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Why not try and suggest something positive yourself instead of dismissing someone elses suggestion.
    At least he made the effort to come up with his own idea which is after all what this thread is about.Typing nO WAY-yOU WANT SUMMAT LIKE THAT---gO SUMWHERE ELSE
    isnt helping one little bit.
    And if you don't like that post ignore it!
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

We need another General Thread for adults. Labeled : Over 18's.... Go there at your own risk .... That way, anything posted is fair game. Would take alot of presure off the original General Thread and allow those who do like a joke, and can take it !, an area to to have a laugh (within reason obviously, moderator still required.) most of the forums i use, mainly car based, all have an 18+ thread, where you can talk about the reall world.

I think it would help, shoot me down, go on, i dare ya.
    STAY IN TUNE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast