Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bombs Away!!

Exclamation Bombs Away!!

Evenin' all

Was out n about earlier and passed a Bomb Disposal team heading North, I know these are pretty regular up here. Often go to Scrabster I believe.

Anyone any clues as what they are doing, I guess training or are there mountains of UXB's around these parts.

Cheers

We saw the convoy as we left Tesco Wick. It turned onto the Groats Road. I expect we will find out about it soon.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

tHATS a bit worrying for me, i'm just off to john o'Groats shortly!!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    tHATS a bit worrying for me, i'm just off to john o'Groats shortly!!
    I'm sure everything will be fine, they are very professional......

The bomb disposal team regularly dive on the wreck of the Isleford in Wick Bay. She was a munitions ship that sank in Jan 1942. In the past shells used to get washed up on the North Head.
    Obviously they are on a different mission today as Wick bay is white water in the storm thats raging!!!!
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Heard a very loud bang in the Keiss area about 5pm........

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    I think that would be the echo of the wife yelling at me for my tea.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    That was Northener dealing with yet another stray animal.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    That was Northener dealing with yet another stray animal.
    "where's the cooking fat?"

"it picked the wrong person to cook with"

Nope, the strays of Keiss are safe. Bless 'em.

I was shooting a neighbour.

Quote Originally Posted by Stack Rock View Post
    The bomb disposal team regularly dive on the wreck of the Isleford in Wick Bay. She was a munitions ship that sank in Jan 1942. In the past shells used to get washed up on the North Head.
    Obviously they are on a different mission today as Wick bay is white water in the storm thats raging!!!!
    I've dived the Isleford a couple of times, funnily enough we were just talking about it yesterday. There's still a lot of solid iron shellheads down there and beeg storms rearrange the seabed and expose more munitions from time to time. Interesting dive.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    I've dived the Isleford a couple of times, funnily enough we were just talking about it yesterday. There's still a lot of solid iron shellheads down there and beeg storms rearrange the seabed and expose more munitions from time to time. Interesting dive.

Is the wreck just below the war monument on the Northside of the bay or is it elsewhere Northener? Also are there many Pollack or congers swimming around it as I can feel a cast being directed if there are...

Mr Winehouse
    Cmey e Scorries

We used to take the cars around past the sewage works and kit up by leaning on the low wall at the bottom of the first houses you come to. Then we'd scramble down the hill and get into the water there. It's difficult to describe exactly where as there isn't a definite marker...I never even knew there was a war memorial up there!

Depth is around 15m IIRC, but all that is left of the ship itself is the boiler and a couple of lumps of machinery, the hulls never last long up here as they get smashed to bits. I've only dived it in the winter, so not many fishies about...but worth a shot, methinks.

[QUOTE=Phill;611418]Evenin' all

Was out n about earlier and passed a Bomb Disposal team heading North, I know these are pretty regular up here. Often go to Scrabster I believe.

Anyone any clues as what they are doing, I guess training or are there mountains of UXB's around these parts.

Cheers[/QUOTE

Probably heading to Portgower.

[quote=teddybear1873;611652]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Evenin' all

Cheers[/QUOTE

Nah, that would be a job for Torchwood.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear1873 View Post

Nah, they were already North of there. Not even those guys haven't the bottle to hang around there. I could see there fear & sweat on their faces still, they looked relieved they made it through alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    Is the wreck just below the war monument on the Northside of the bay or is it elsewhere Northener? Also are there many Pollack or congers swimming around it as I can feel a cast being directed if there are...

Mr Winehouse
    Mr Winehouse, even with your diabolical fashin record I would urge caution at using explosives to increase the catch. It's illegal and if performed at the wrong moment brings unwanted attention to ones activities. Plus its a pain scooping up all the wee ones.
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it.
    No taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this.
    Old Cherokee Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post

Mr Winehouse
    Aye, its almost directly below the monument.

Quote Originally Posted by the second coming View Post
    Mr Winehouse, even with your diabolical fashin record I would urge caution at using explosives to increase the catch. It's illegal and if performed at the wrong moment brings unwanted attention to ones activities. Plus its a pain scooping up all the wee ones.
    I consistently "blow you away" when it comes to fishing Second Coming , even if it is your boat. I dont think ill be using explosives to catch fish, its your kind of thing to try the dirty tricks to kick my rear

As for the wee ones, there s brass in muck.
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirdon View Post
    Aye, its almost directly below the monument.

Cheers kirdon , is it a kelp farm down there or pretty clear & how deep? If you dont mind me asking of course
    Cmey e Scorries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast