Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Is the TB jag still given in 2nd year of High School

Default Is the TB jag still given in 2nd year of High School

Asking out of curiousity.Remember as a kid waiting outside a room.Got taken in and a nurse holding something that looked like Doctor Who's Sonic Screwdriver with six prongs on the end.This was placed into ma wrist,which at the time left a mark like six midge bites.If these disappeared within a week I wid get the TB jag,if they were still there I wid not.The midgie bites were there right up to the morning of the jag and then they were gone.Got the jag,it wisnae the 10 inch needle ma older brother said it would be,is it no longer given?
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

No its only given to those deemed to be in a high risk group. Its not been given routinely now for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    No its only given to those deemed to be in a high risk group. Its not been given routinely now for a few years.
    Cheers oor Alice.The reason for ma asking was cause while I was plastering a wall yesterday in the hoose,ma youngest was asking about the mark on ma arm.I told him the story,he looked horrified.I can tell him the good news now.

Ma youngest has just informed me that a sonic screwdriver with six prongs is actually the Masters laser screwdriver.The joys of living in a Doctor Who household.

I had to look this stuff up due to having a marginal result on a TB test some years ago. It seems the BCG injection was never given routinely in the USA because it gives false positives on TB skin tests. Some countries use it and others don't. For more info, Google "BCG" and check the Wikipedia entry.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    I had to look this stuff up due to having a marginal result on a TB test some years ago. It seems the BCG injection was never given routinely in the USA because it gives false positives on TB skin tests. Some countries use it and others don't. For more info, Google "BCG" and check the Wikipedia entry.
    Cheers oor George.The plonder I had was from ma kid,yesterday asking about a mark on ma arm,that has scarred me like some dodgy tattoo that ye might want to have removed.At least today ye have choices whether ye have jags or not.Not like the 80's where ye only had a choice if yer midgie bites disappeared.

Well if you could claim some religious objection, you could always turn down the BCG and other inoculations. I remember someone doing so when I got it (which was the 60s not the 80s!).
    I myself ended up with a nasty big scar, because the needle hit a middling sized vein, which then grew a fibromatous tumour, which had to be removed, along with another on my knee from a deer tick. Both turned out to be benign, but the dermatologist said they had to come off just to be sure.

In England the BCG is still routine.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know