Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 50 Drummers Of All Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    wheres ringo starr????
    Ummmm, los angeles? Certainly not liverpool.

It's a reader generated poll so it's bound to throw up some strange results because of the potential for mindless cretins voting for their favourite yet mediocre players.

I had a quick look at the top 50 list again-ye gods, travis barker at number ten?????? Above dave weckl, steve smith, steve gadd and carl palmer?

Oh man, it's face palm time!!!!!!!

John Bonham at number one is very strange i think. He's attained drumming sainthood but i never particularly enjoyed his drumming as a standout feature of led zep. The drum sound he had was remarkable, because jimmy page was a great engineer. For pure bombast and technique, i must have ian paice.

Keith moon at number three? Oh man, face palm redux!!!!!!!!!
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    Keith moon at number three? Oh man, face palm redux!!!!!!!!!
    Indeed. Moon wasn't a great drummer... he was remembered forever for being a bit eccentric, not a great drummer.

Ringo.. well, all I gotta say about that is lol.

What about Rick Allen ?
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

wheres ringo starr????
    Crikey, my sarcasm detector just went haywire...

"you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Well ok then, what about Dave Starkey??

Dave Grohl is a pretty damn good drummer too...did he feature in the top 50?

Dave Grohl is a pretty damn good drummer too...did he feature in the top 50?
    I dont think I'll ever understand or even "get" the hype that surrounds Dave Grohl. Dont get me wrong, he's very very good, if I turn out to be half as good as he is during my lifetime i'll consider it an achievment, but, he is far from great. Certainly not in the company that has been mentioned so far in this thread.

I always judge a drummer by my understanding of what they are playing. If I can understand how to do it, then thats fine. But if im sat there thinking "what the heck was that", or " How the hell is he doing that" then they will likely go into my personal great list.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    I dont think I'll ever understand or even "get" the hype that surrounds Dave Grohl. Dont get me wrong, he's very very good, if I turn out to be half as good as he is during my lifetime i'll consider it an achievment, but, he is far from great. Certainly not in the company that has been mentioned so far in this thread.

I always judge a drummer by my understanding of what they are playing. If I can understand how to do it, then thats fine. But if im sat there thinking "what the heck was that", or " How the hell is he doing that" then they will likely go into my personal great list.
    BOOYAA well said. I honestly don't have much time for Grohl. Not taking away from his achievments but far from great.

I havn't read the list (yet) but Jeff Porcaro hasn't been mentioned. His work on Donald Fagen's nightfly is supreme. Keith Carlock (spelling) Mark Parnell..........wikid

Each to their own. Dave Grohl is a fantastic drummer in my opinion.

So many good drummers that probably haven't been included would go something like this:
    Danny Carey,
    Dave Silveria,
    Tim Dow,
    Jason Gerken,
    Guy Davis,
    Mark Heron,
    Matt Cameron,
    Josh Freese,
    Jimmy Chamberlain.....................this could go on for hours.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

Default drummers

must say i loved the gorilla on the drums the chocolate ad

Dave Grohl is a pretty powerful drummer and i enjoyed his playing when i was younger but my tastes have moved on a bit since then. I enjoy drummers with a few more colours to their palette these days.

Matt Cameron in particular is an oft-overlooked name. A textbook drummer and composer.

And Philthy Animal Taylor!

And Charlie Watts! Some day he'll play the hi hat and snare drum at the same time!

Cazart!
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    Dave Grohl is a pretty powerful drummer and i enjoyed his playing when i was younger but my tastes have moved on a bit since then. I enjoy drummers with a few more colours to their palette these days.

Matt Cameron in particular is an oft-overlooked name. A textbook drummer and composer.

And Philthy Animal Taylor!

And Charlie Watts! Some day he'll play the hi hat and snare drum at the same time!

Cazart!
    Matt Cameron is an awesome drummer, I have him in my list a few posts above.
    Any drummer should also check out Guy Davis and Mark Heron. Wow.

You knows it. He's in my list a way up at the top of the thread somewhere too.

I dont really like pearl jam but it's good he's still playing.

I've never heard the wellwater conspiracy so i dunno what he plays like on that, but no doubt really really good.

Matt Cameron is a gem, he was also drummer of Soundgarden, playing some amazing 7/8 time signature beats. Quality.

Guy Davis and Mark Heron = Wow indeed.

I must know you some how Loganbiffy?

Dave Grohl did feature in the top 10 of 50. Can't mind I'll need to have another look.

Grohl and Davis - my biggest influences
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    Guy Davis and Mark Heron = Wow indeed.

I must know you some how Loganbiffy?

Dave Grohl did feature in the top 10 of 50. Can't mind I'll need to have another look.

Grohl and Davis - my biggest influences
    I figure I know you somehow Zebedy

You should defo check out Tim Dow and Jason Gerken, incredible drummers. Timing is scary.

To think John Bonham was upset to lose a drumming award to this very fine female drummer.

Kicks in around 1.30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHyzGXAJPg

See Mike Portnoy has said he looked at the list of drummers out of curiousity and had a scan down the list.Then was amazed to find after looking down the list through 30-50 that he was at number 5.Ma favourite drummer Mark Brzeziki-Big Country/The Cult
    Last edited by Cedric Farthsbottom III; 27-Oct-09 at 21:21. Reason: Spelling
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    Mark Brezeziki-Big Country/The Cult
    Procal Harum

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    Procal Harum
    True chobbers,he also helped out Ultravox.Then a drummer does as a drummer does.He is brilliant though.IMO
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Stewart Copeland

Jimmy Chamberlain

Matt Heron

Jose Pacilles III

Manu Katche

Ben Johnstone

Matt Cameron

Dave Silveria

Just a few very talented drummers in my opinion!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast