Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postal Strike / 30,000

As someone who is self-employed, unlike Royal Mail workers, unfortunately I don't have the safety net of a secure job, salary, pension and union. I rely on an effective postal system, so the strike directly affects my income. I understand the postal workers are concerned about their conditions (it's not about money, right? Hmmm...) but the self-employed such as myself suffer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    As someone who is self-employed, unlike Royal Mail workers, unfortunately I don't have the safety net of a secure job, salary, pension and union. I rely on an effective postal system, so the strike directly affects my income. I understand the postal workers are concerned about their conditions (it's not about money, right? Hmmm...) but the self-employed such as myself suffer, too.
    That was your choice to be self-employed, and as to the secure job, salary & pension, I will not mention the union, Postmen are not highly paid, many work unsocial hours and in all weathers, you on the other hand can stick your head out from under the duvet, and decide not to work that day, but your mail will get delivered regardless.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

My beef isn't entirely against the postal workers themselves, golach - I used to be one.

My job is a 24/7 one, most of which is unpaid. I do it because I enjoy it. Yet, while everyone else's wages increase, mine go down. Fair enough. As you say, it's my choice. However, the point is: not only are there thousands of unemployed people out there who would give anything to have a job at the post office, the striking costs businesses and individuals alike a large part of their income. My choices has nothing to do with this. Though if this were America, I'd make such strikes illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    A point well made and I agree with you for the self-employed but many people are turning to e-mail and are getting their wages paid directly into their banks, council tax set up as DD, tv licencing now paid by DD etc so the post office and royal mail are missing out tremendously. I would not be surprised if we all start getting invoices e-mailed to us soon, and bank statements, wage slips - the list is never ending.

Quote Originally Posted by achingale View Post
    A point well made and I agree with you for the self-employed but many people are turning to e-mail and are getting their wages paid directly into their banks, council tax set up as DD, tv licencing now paid by DD etc so the post office and royal mail are missing out tremendously. I would not be surprised if we all start getting invoices e-mailed to us soon, and bank statements, wage slips - the list is never ending.
    But the problem isn't about decreasing mail and decreasing revenue - revenue is up but the promised bonuses haven't been paid - that is the issue.

I don't agree with the strike though - in this economic climate it all seems a bit of a fingers up to all the thousands to have just lost jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    I'm sick of the attitude in the Public Sector, us in the private sector are all on pay freezes to get us out this debt ridden recession and when the public sector are told they might have their pay frozen for just a year their first reaction in to threaten the government and the general public with strike action!

Lovely.... what world are they living in!
    If I am not entirely mistaken, was it not the actions of some overpaid twits in the 'private' sector what got us in to all this anyway?

As usual, private sector workers love it when they get the good salaries, bonuses, benefits etc. but when things turn sour they want to attack the public sector.

Why not moan about the bonus payments to the folk who work in our banks then?

The public sector workers accept lower wages and salaries for the security of a decent pension and now all of this is under attack.

Life's a bitch ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by PantsMAN View Post
    The public sector workers accept lower wages and salaries for the security of a decent pension and now all of this is under attack.
    That is exactly it! You've nailed it! I chose a job (when training) working for the NHS instead of private industry based on job security alone (I didn't like the idea of a 2 year contract). The only benefit of the NHS over industry is job security, pensions and (almost) guaranteed pay rises. This is really coming under threat at the moment..

What I would like to know is why my Royal Mail postie delivers mail on behalf of Business Post, TNT and a myriad of other private companies. If the private sector can collect and sort the mail why can't they deliver it too?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    What I would like to know is why my Royal Mail postie delivers mail on behalf of Business Post, TNT and a myriad of other private companies. If the private sector can collect and sort the mail why can't they deliver it too?
    Because they tendered for the contract and were able to undercut due to the system they have already in place. People could choose to post with Royal Mail and then they would sort it too...

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Because they tendered for the contract and were able to undercut due to the system they have already in place. People could choose to post with Royal Mail and then they would sort it too...
    yes but - no but - yes but - If the private sector are sooooo brilliant why can't they do the whole job - or do they just want to do the easy (most lucrative) bit.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Simply put they deliver these items because they are forced to by Postcomm. They do not want to for they actually lose money in delivering mail from other contractors.

The private companies will not deliver up here as they would make a loss if they did. If Royal Mail ever went Private then you would only get mail once or twice a week and not a delivery every day like you do at present.

Also when it comes to business mail, tenders had to be put in. All Private companies were allowed to put in a tender for whatever price they wanted. Royal Mail were told by Postcomm they could not charge less than their standard rate for a first class stamp.

Due to this most of the business mail was undercut by other companies. Then on top of that Royal Mail were told they had to deliver all the mail to places where the other companies could not deliver and they had to do this at a rate where the original contractor still made a profit.

This then meant that Royal Mail makes a Loss for every letter or Packet that they deliver on behalf of the other companies.

One of the Biggest Business contracts is the Government and they were one of the first to stop using Royal Mail. It is also the Government who is pushing to sell off Royal Mail.

Makes you think does it not?
    Last edited by Kodiak; 19-Oct-09 at 18:27.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Simply put they deliver these items because they are forced to by Postcomm. They do not want to for they actually lose money in delivering mail from other contractors.

The private companies will not deliver up here as they would make a loss if they did. If Royal Mail ever went Private then you would only get mail once or twice a week and not a delivery every day like you do at present.

Also when it comes to business mail, tenders had to be put in. All Private companies were allowed to put in a tender for whatever price they wanted. Royal Mail were told by Postcomm they could not charge less than their standard rate for a first class stamp.

Due to this most of the business mail was undercut by other companies. Then on top of that Royal Mail were told they had to deliver all the mail to places where the other companies could not deliver and they had to do this at a rate where the original contractor still made a profit.

This then meant that Royal Mail makes a Loss for every letter or Packet that they deliver on behalf of the other companies.

One of the Biggest Business contracts is the Government and they were one of the first to stop using Royal Mail. It is also the Government who is pushing to sell off Royal Mail.

Makes you think does it not?
    Was this a EEC directive the tendering bit ?.
    Also welcome to the tory way of life IE: make government do the dirty work to make business men rich.
    There is no such thing as a fair days work for a fair day pay (thatcher seen to that).

Thumbs down Postal Strike

I had mail went missing at the end of September, 3 packages all posted on same day 1st class took 10days to reach destinations Posted a card on 9th October to Glasgow and it still hasn't arrived. Is it any wonder we use e mail when we can?

NeuLiebour have been in power for 12 years and they took on the tory mantle so smoothly it went almost unnoticed. I suppose it could be argued that at least Teflon Tony BLiar smiled at you as he twisted the knife in your back.
    I wish I could vote for the Monster Raving Looney party at least they made me laugh.
    Maya Angelou

Shouldn't this thread be merged in with "Postal Strike"?

"30,000" was always a bit of a silly name for it.

Lightbulb Unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by upolian View Post
    this is complete madness,ive ordered a big order of products for work,no products=no work=no money,resulting in some very annoyed customers,me being deemed as unreliable+letting people down,lets hope i receive my order or i will not be a happy cookie!!
    Upolian - you are writing nonsense - your grammar and spelling is horrendous. If you lose out you only have yourself to blame.
    Last edited by Loch not Lock; 19-Oct-09 at 23:35. Reason: bad spelling

Angry Happy cookie

Quote Originally Posted by upolian View Post
    this is complete madness,ive ordered a big order of products for work,no products=no work=no money,resulting in some very annoyed customers,me being deemed as unreliable+letting people down,lets hope i receive my order or i will not be a happy cookie!!
    Who cares if you are a happy "cookie" - you appear to be a self-indulgent idiot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Loch not Lock View Post
    Who cares if you are a happy "cookie" - you appear to be a self-indulgent idiot to me.

its better to keep ur mouth shut and be thought a fool,than to open it and remove all doubt(your self-indulgent comment has removed all doubt about you) that was a ridiculous comment,un called for,im trying to provide a service i cannot do this is if i have no products to do so,if you are making a cheap shot at me only being interested in profit,you are very wrong!

my spelling is fine,my grammar...im not in an english lesson iam posting on a forum but thank you for your concern
    Last edited by upolian; 19-Oct-09 at 23:41.

Upolian - you are writing nonsense - your grammar and spelling is horrendous. If you lose out you only have yourself to blame.
    Good grief you are out of order with your comments Loch not Lock! Calling someone an idiot( self indulgent or otherwise) without any cause is just plain rude!!!!

Upolian is a businessman making an honest living who is concerned that he will not receive the products he needs to carry this out. What is wrong with that?
    Last edited by Liz; 19-Oct-09 at 23:48.

Im surprised in this day and age why people still send Christmas cards. Why not pick a suitable pic off your pc, overlay it with a personal message and e mail it. the person receiving it can then get it printed and then pin it to the wall. Or have I missed something.......hmmm suppose not every ones got a pc though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12