Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: computer problem

scoobydoo Guest

Default problem

i still havent managed to get it fixed!!!!

unicorn Guest

nor me lol!!!! been online most of this evening an I think i made it worse!! just tried to close my fs mail an instead of closing the tab at the bottom started adding files it stopped at 25!!!!!!!! then got not responding again arghhh!! drivin me nuts ..fayray spoke to ur mrs today an she thought i might have picked up blasterworm but I installed patch (which i thought was already done on a windows update) but it appears it wasn't I also downloaded the removal tool but obviously to no avail I have decided that I hate xp!!

jjc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FAYRAY
    ed to me was a joke as emphisied by the seriosly so bit I did not encourage him to shop there as you can see i offered to fix it free of charge as we do quite often when the problem is trivial.
    By saying “I hear they have started selling mobile phone accessories” you went out of your way to hide your connection to the shop – therefore there is no way that your earlier (anonymous) suggestion that the shop would look at the PC could be construed as an official offer to fix it free of charge.

And whilst I applaud your defence of your business, I’m not sure that the solicitor you spoke to this afternoon (?) would approve of your response (“anyone who knows who Paul is will know what I mean”??) or of your claim that you can get an ISP to trace an IP address for you (you may want to check the Data Protection Act).

Default PC

This might be a bit obvious, but after all the posts has anyone realised that scoobydoo has not responded, assuming that it is fixed????????????????

Also with regards to the data protection act if requested through the Police,Solicitor etc this information can be found, very easily as well as I have had to trace many addresses and pass this info on to various bodies.

But anyway I would assume it would be typical WINDOWS ing up

am sorry i would not have said what i did if the other person did not bring it up !!

Hi there,
    Thought i would try to take this back on thread.

Scooby,

There are a few things you can try, and many reasons why your machine may be slowing down. Firstly, i am assuming you are connecting to your ISP without any problems. Are you connecting at a peak time, when usage it high, sometimes my clients notice a difference in connection speeds at peak times, when a lot of users come online.

Have you installed any new software which may be conflicting IRQ's etc?

Have you visited any sites which may have inadvertently downloaded dial up software or spy bot/advertising software? Some websites will do this, altering some of the registry files to run your browsers via their sites in an attempt to use there site as a redirection service increasing hits etc?

Have you virus scanned your machine? I would also advise running software such as ad aware or any other spybot remover, in case your machine does have external software accessing the internet, and slowing down IE.

Have you emptied your temporary files or altered any of your IE options?

Are you running XP and if so have you installed any of the service pack options?

Are you only having IE problems? Have you checked device manager to see if any hardware conflicts exist?

If you want to post you operating system and IE version, system spec then i would imagine between some of us on this board we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Regards,
    Andrew Usher
    www.andrewusher.com

Default Um

One thing I wanted to know is, For anyone who has had problem with the comp shop - did you ever try complaining? I see allot of posts with people saying the had problems with items they had purchased but i don't think they said they have tried to take it back for repair/refund.

Caledonia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FAYRAY
    Mr fernie has a data base of all customers that have registerd with this site if he doesnt have an address thats no problem as i can contact there isp and get a trace done on their ip address.......See you in Court lads
    Just out of interest, as an individual, how would you be going about contacting people's ISPs directly?

Libel?

If you were to have your brief seriously look into preparing a case they would most certainly advise that the police would be unlikely to submit a request for disclosure to any ISP over this matter.

The disclosure of account information, or the activities of ISP users, is something ISPs will not do except under specific circumstances. They will normally do anything to avoid this scenario.

No-one is really naïve enough to believe that a few throw away remarks made on a message board, which is subject to a comprehensive disclaimer, will result in the plod knocking at the door, (having been tipped off by one ISP via another ISP, on the request of a solicitor.)

The only action taken, in extreme cases, would be a request for removal of offending material to the ISP hosting Caithness.org.

Even if it were a clear case of libel or slander, they might then accept a published rebuttal on behalf of the publisher, the ISP, and an apology. No more than that would normally happen.

I would suggest the money lost in pursuing the issue would far outweigh any potential loss of business/standing. Given that the outcome would almost certainly be to award you costs only, if you win.

You would be better off remaining out with the debate, anyone in business should be above responding to such chin tickling.

Saying that, I have had several good experiences with Highland Computers, and would let anyone know that £15 is VERY cheap for a visit from anyone.

If you have a gripe with the service you have had from any local business, take it straight to them and get it sorted out. Most of them cannot afford bad publicity with such a small market.

That guy in Halkirk selling PCs from his house is a bleeding rip off merchant though, no word of a lie.

So sue me.

Would like to point out first of all that I am not thursomannie!

I have had good service from my old neighbour FayRay and have recommended them on numerous occasions. I'm sure if our customers had any complaints regarding their standard of work we'd soon hear about it!

Quote Originally Posted by webmannie

I'm sure if our customers had any complaints regarding their standard of work we'd soon hear about it!
    Webmannie... who are you as what you quoted above seems you are in the business too with Highland Computers.

Nice to see some arguments happening....

Personally Ive not had any problems with the shop either.

Watch out Caledonia you will be sued next..

Why gripe about what was said in the forum anyway as after all you know what your service is like and it doesn't matter what others think, everybody has their own opinion.

Arguing is not going to solve what others think but will just aggravate them more - let it rest now since its all over and done with now.

Default Um

Quote Originally Posted by Moonboots
    Why gripe about what was said in the forum anyway as after all you know what your service is like and it doesn't matter what others think, everybody has their own opinion.
    It can be very bad for business. If i knew othign about a shop and saw those comments then i think id take my business elsewhere. Fortunatley I have had exp with the shop and worked with Mr DM so if they have a good deal then id be happy to shop there.

In the name .......... Poor man has an unhealthy PC - wants it fixed and WW3 breaks out -- this message board is getting worse - Everyone doon tae the dammies for a scrap - that will sort it out.

Scooby do you live in or near Thurso , I will pop up free of charge and have a look for ye -

Default Computer problem

This message board is going from bad to worse
    And it is a case of if your FACE FITS its amazing what you will get of with
    Coxy

I have to agree with acameron and coxy the message board is a disgrace. It's ok to have a bit of banter but this is just a slanging match. I have heard that people has been put of Caithness. Org for a lot less. I would say it's definately if your face fits.

Lo,

Edna/Coxy

I don't see why you think this is any different from any of the previous slagging matches that have occurred on these forums. I have always left arguments alone unless the people started to become abusive.

I have nothing against anyone in this thread and if anyone has a complaint they are free to send me a PM and I will look into the issue. Many other people have sent me PM's about Users or Posts that they felt were out of line and I am sure they would tell you that I always look into the problem and I take action where it is appropriate. I always check with Bill & Niall where an issue doesn't seem clear to me, then I send a reply to the person that made the complaint and I explain what I have done or why I have done nothing.

Cheers
    Colin

Well put Colin, I am in full agreement with you, these things usually run their course, and we all become friends again
    Golach
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

beppo1967 Guest

v bought quite a few products from highland computers and i must say i have never had a problem....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12