Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows & doors

Question windows & doors

Hi

after some advice from the org

planning new windows & doors in my house just wondering who u would recommend

thx

You should have posted this in Recommendations, here is the link where you can find this section :-

http://forum.caithness.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Cairngorm. The two lads from Dunbeath who do their installation are great.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

sinclair windows in wick! aftersales is excellent,salesman is very friendly,good quality windows,excellent prices,give them a phone you wont be disapointed

I had a extremely bad experiance with cairngorm. They installed all new windows and doors. 6 out of 9 of our new windows were drafty and whistled when it got windy.
    They came out numerous of times and fiddled with them, told me they were fixed but as soon as the wind got up again they would start to whistle again!
    After what feels like ages the windows seem to be ok for now...But - now my door wont close properly!
    If you push it like you would with any other door it dosn't close properly - it just bounces back! It wont lock anymore either. I dont know much about these things but to look at the door i would say the frame is twisted.
    My OH is not here during the week and i hate the fact that i cant lock the door at night when i'm in the house by myself!
    I've been in contact with Cairngorm and i'm STILL waiting for an engineer to phone me and sort out an appointment to come fix my door. I said it was an emergancy but it's not been treated as one.

We paid alot of money for new windows and doors, and have had nothing but trouble since they were put in.

I know some people are delighted with the work Cairngorm has done, Maybe I'm just the unlucky one....
    Last edited by dietcokegirl; 15-Oct-09 at 11:46.

You are not the only one dietcokegirl my cairngorm windows and doors are awful too!Door leaks so badly the carpet needs replacing about once a year! ofcourse they have sorted it numerous times but it still leaks!The brass fittings on the door tarnished within weeks and will not come off and all my windows are covered with condensation and it turns to mould if you dont wipe them down everyday!!!!I wouldn't touch their products with a bargepole! x
    Last edited by Thumper; 15-Oct-09 at 17:50.
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Quote Originally Posted by upolian View Post
    sinclair windows in wick! aftersales is excellent,salesman is very friendly,good quality windows,excellent prices,give them a phone you wont be disapointed
    Glad you said that as they doing my doors and windows in a couple of weeks time!

Default Unlucky one? no its not just you

Quote Originally Posted by dietcokegirl View Post
    I had a extremely bad experiance with cairngorm. They installed all new windows and doors. 6 out of 9 of our new windows were drafty and whistled when it got windy.
    They came out numerous of times and fiddled with them, told me they were fixed but as soon as the wind got up again they would start to whistle again!
    After what feels like ages the windows seem to be ok for now...But - now my door wont close properly!
    If you push it like you would with any other door it dosn't close properly - it just bounces back! It wont lock anymore either. I dont know much about these things but to look at the door i would say the frame is twisted.
    My OH is not here during the week and i hate the fact that i cant lock the door at night when i'm in the house by myself!
    I've been in contact with Cairngorm and i'm STILL waiting for an engineer to phone me and sort out an appointment to come fix my door. I said it was an emergancy but it's not been treated as one.

We paid alot of money for new windows and doors, and have had nothing but trouble since they were put in.

I know some people are delighted with the work Cairngorm has done, Maybe I'm just the unlucky one....

Due to legal proceedings against this company I cannot go into detail, but if anyone wants to have a look at the "quality and energy saving qualities" of a Cairngorm Window send me a PM. Best viewed on a windy day

That is really disappointing to here but I guess a lot can happen in 8 years.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Glad you said that as they doing my doors and windows in a couple of weeks time!
    hehe they really are top class!! they clean up after themselves aswell,dust sheets down also so the mess is to a minimum,friendly bunch you will be more than happy with them

Default Cairngorm windows

Yep - really bad experience with Cairngorm Windows as well !!!!

A couple o' years ago they installed 5 new windows in our house - all 5 leaked when it rained , but according to Cairngorm it was nothing at all to do with them and they wouldn't accept responsibility !!

Ended up "temporarily" fixing them ourselves.

Don't go near 'em wi' a barge pole !!!!!!

Default Sinclair Windows

Sorry to be double posting, but just to say Sinclair Windows get my approval - they did our kitchen and bathroom windows - as previously said, very tidy, pleasant guys and did an excellent job !!

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    Sorry to be double posting, but just to say Sinclair Windows get my approval - they did our kitchen and bathroom windows - as previously said, very tidy, pleasant guys and did an excellent job !!
    Excellent! Another vote for Sinclairs Windows. So glad they are doing our work.

Thumbs down

We used C R Smith a few years ago - I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy

Smile

thx everyone u have really helped me

just need to get the extension up

Default Cairngorm Windows !!!!!

Yes, I'd really like to recommend this company, but you have to realise the following beforehand :-

1. Ensure you have plenty of towels in your airing cupboard to soak up all the rain that comes through these windows once they are installed !!

2. Do Not even try to argue with this company in any form or fashion - they are always right and you don't have a leg to stand on !!

3. If it is the "rainy" season - like tonight - do not leave your home for very long - if you do, you'll be greeted with soaking wallpaper, soaking plaster and probably a soaking wet carpet/plugs also....

Just a wee word of warning to those who are vulnerable (like ourselves !!) and make a very silly mistake in recruiting this company !!!!!!
    Last edited by Iffy; 22-Oct-09 at 21:12. Reason: spelling

Default Cairngorm Windows

Those who have had unpleasant dealings with CW, Do you mind me asking did the company raise or threaten court action if you didnt pay up for the faulty goods?

I've been reading this as I'm planning David Dunnett doing my windows, any recommendations for him?

windswept I had unfortunately paid in advance for most of it but I did withold payment for the doors at one point and they didnt bother about it BUT the company who had financed it did so I gave up in the end x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Thumbs up

Have just had our windows and doors fitted by Sinclairs Windows and have to say we are delighted with the results.

Everything is top quality and the guys who carried out the work were so nice and worked really hard. They tidied up as they went and left minimal mess.

Of course we won't know how things go until the wind and rain starts again but are very hopeful.

Would highly recommend them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast