Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Micro Men (Sinclair Vs Acorn)

Default Micro Men (Sinclair Vs Acorn)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...b5l/Micro_Men/

Those of a similar generation to my own, might well enjoy this thoroughly entertaining insight into the Clive Sinclair (Sinclair) Vs Chris Curry (Acorn) rivalry during the 80s.

I got to know Clive quite well over the last couple of years, and I can tell you he still hates Chris Curry with a passion.

LOL I was a die-hard Speccy fan and watched it with interest, although only caught it from part way through. It was weird to see the shenanigans going on at the time - most of us end users, although aware of the intense rivalry between the two brands (and the others Commodore, etc) - were blissfully unaware of the war going on in the background.

Must check the TV schedules and watch ir again from the start .

Fascinating programme - no time to watch it all now but will have to. I remember my nephews' first Sinclair ZX81 (is that right?) - can't say I was terribly impressed at the time but knew nothing about computers then. Our first one was an Amstrad with a cassette tape which I proudly set up for my young son as a surprise. After that he taught me.

Always wanted one of those little Sinclair cars
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    I got to know Clive quite well over the last couple of years, and I can tell you he still hates Chris Curry with a passion.
    Was the program a fair representation of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Was the program a fair representation of him?
    Let's just say Clive didn't think the competitive aspect (between himself and Curry) was very accurate. At all. Still, as a television piece, it was highly enjoyable; for me, that is, anyway.

Syntax Error.Thats aw I remember fae those days of computerdom.

Ye wid type in LOAD

The tape recorder would whirl,took five minutes to load the game.At 4 mins 58,the screen wid shout SYNTAX ERROR.

Ye whit!Thank God for ma poster of Linda Lusardi and Sam Fox on the wall above the telly,at least I had something to look at while waiting.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Thumbs up

I have it recorded on Sky+, looking forward to watching it. Although I never owned a Speccy or an Acorn back in the day, I had the much superior BBC B, and I desperately wanted to be one of The Whiz Kids

The Whiz Kids

Oh aye, I fondly remember typing hundreds and hundreds of lines of code taken from the pages of Sinclair User or Your Sinclair only to get the dreaded
    2 - Variable not found:

Then having to laboriously sift through it all to find and fix the offending error.

Let's face it, it doesn't really get any better than this:
    10 REM temperature conversion
    20 PRINT "deg F", "deg C"
    30 PRINT
    40 INPUT "Enter deg F", F
    50 PRINT F,(F-32)*5/9
    60 GO TO 40
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

But when you did get it going it was marvellous

Halcyon days right enough.

The problem was that Commodore,controversial,left Spectrum and all the rest miles behind.Then Nintendo and SEGA left Commodore miles behind.Put in a game,no loading.Cartridge instant,oh yes.So let Clive and Chris fight it out.The rest is history.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Default Computer

In the mid 80's at the center of this programme I remember the kids coming home from school and Mrs M shouting at them to change there school clothes and eat there tea before even considering setting up there computer to play games on the telly.

I also remember driving up past the Hoover factory in Merthyr and seeing a Sinclair C5 displayed as pride of place in the stairwell window for all to see and it was going to be the savior of this flagging factory as they were going to produce millions of these washing machine motors for this revolutionary new mode of transport.

It was the late 90's before I got brave enough to even consider using a computer, and even then it was out of necessity (IE learn computer or loose your job). I was in the office one day waiting for the manager to give me a rollicking for something and I touched the printer out of curiosity and it started up, (the office next door sent a document through for printing) I ran from the office scared stiff that I had broke it and that was me done for.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Lightbulb

During my years as a touring cyclist, it was to my eternal regret of never coming across a Sinclair C5 ...just so's I could overtake it!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I have it recorded on Sky+, looking forward to watching it. Although I never owned a Speccy or an Acorn back in the day, I had the much superior BBC B, and I desperately wanted to be one of The Whiz Kids

The Whiz Kids
    What a div, i've just realised my mistake, of course i owned an Acorn computer, the BBC B was made by Acorn...doh!, i had forgotten that nugget of wisdom, i just always equated the name Acorn with the Electron and totally forgot that they made the BBC B model...oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    What a div, i've just realised my mistake, of course i owned an Acorn computer, the BBC B was made by Acorn...doh!, i had forgotten that nugget of wisdom, i just always equated the name Acorn with the Electron and totally forgot that they made the BBC B model...oops!
    R Tape loading error, 0:1
    I had to add these just to reach 10 characters for the post to be accepted.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."