Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best food in Caithness?

Where is bella itialia?
    Bacon buttys? sometimes if im in a hurry. I was actually wondering if anyone knew of good places that are not cafes, pref south of inverness and north of Penzance.

The Cafe in Castletown makes really good food now that it has been taken over.

You're just jealous because the
    voices are talking to me and not you!

Quote Originally Posted by AR
    Bacon buttys? sometimes if im in a hurry. I was actually wondering if anyone knew of good places that are not cafes, pref south of inverness and north of Penzance.
    There is an excellent Indian restruant that does traditional balti dishes that is a good bit north of penzance ; the centre of Warwick.
    Don't worry about it ! Life is too short !!

anyone tried the new cafe under Top joes yet?

apollo69 Guest

Forss House Hotel - best meal I've ever had. Reasonably priced for the standard of food.

The new cafe cardosi was a bit expensive and not a lot of selection on the menu for my taste.
    However having been to the French Restaraunt in wick i have to say it was top quality all the food was lovely and reasonably priced. I would definantley go back again. The selection aon the menu was also one of the best I have seen I had great difficulty narrowing down the choices

Quote Originally Posted by daviddd
    anyone tried the new cafe under Top joes yet?
    yes - about 2 weeks ago we had lunch. It's a nice cosy place if you can get on a sofa, but the food and drink was poor - the roast veg and chicken panini was as dry as anything (no sauce whatsoever) and the so-called latte was not good either - not a patch on Starbucks or Costa - it tasted like boiled milk, not steamed. The staff looked a bit put out and didn't seem very well trained. The management should remember that many would-be customers have tried dozens of other eateries around the country and there are some good ones to compare to. Mind you I'll try again 'cos I may have caught them on a bad day.

uh, the cafe's under the central - next to top joes, not under. lol, splitting hairs now.

I've been in the cafe a few times, I really like it. It's nice, light, airy, I don't think there's anywhere for smoking (which is good considering there's food around).

Anyone tried the banoffee tarts? Mmmm, too rich for me... but still delicious!

Only time I've been disappointed there was Christmas Eve. Middle of the afternoon, went in, they'd ran out of soup! They should have expected lots of soup being wanted on a busy winters day! I couldn't think of anything else to warm me up, so I went cold.

I recommend the Quiet Piggy in Brora. A bit far to travel, but guaranteed worth the effort. Out of this world!

Quote Originally Posted by AR
    Any other ideas where to eat further south?
    Best eating we've had in Inverness is a restaurant called The Mustard Seed". We always make reservations if we're going down to for the day - they get really busy at lunch time, and no wonder! For a set price of £5.99 you get a starter and a main, and the food is out of this world. The menu is always changing, and we've never been disappointed yet. It's situated on the Riverside, about a five minute walk from downtown. They're completely non-smoking now, and they always seem to have a vegetarian option available.

Highly recommended to anybody.

m.fraser Guest

I'm at uni in Stirling and regularly eat in a place called 'Jimmy Chungs' - Chinese Buffet all you can eat in every course - starter, main course and pudding. For lunch, it's about £5. Very good value for money! Really fantastic food, good selection!I also recently found out there is one in Inverness. Tried it with my dad and sister on our last visit and we all agreed it was great!

At the weekend a group of us went to the portlands, we all had different dishes, and all was excellent as usual, bar,one of the main coarses. When he commented on a minor fault, he was offered it replaced by an waitress who could not be any nicer. The replacementwas perfect. And when we payed he got a free drink and was not charged for the main coarse. Excellent service. Try to get that in weatherspoons.

The trouble with most, ahem, 'restaurants' in Caithness is that their food is supplied by the same suppliers. Therfore, your meal comes down to how well it was fried, microwaved. Furthermore, the food in Caithness is so terrible (excusing the odd exceptopn) people don't really notice because there's nothing to compare it to... other than the next bistro/restaurant/cafe/whateveryouwanttocallit next door.

Just my £0.02p worth.

There are few place that I have eaten that match what you are saying but I tend not to eat in those places unless it is for a quick meal or bar snack. Its like saying weatherspoons cooks good quality meals. They dont they reheat mass produced meals at a reasonable price and serve it up with cheap drink.
    If I am going out for a good meal there are several places in the county that serve up delicios (sp?) local produce and and beat these other places hands down every time. It costs more but you are getting top quality well cooked and presented meals.

apollo69 Guest

Best places for food in Caithness: (IMO)

1:Forss House (quality food at a decent price)
    2:Le Bistro (best steak I have ever had)
    3:K2 (best Indian north of Shapla Tandoori)
    4: Chinese in Cabrellis old place (best chinese in Caithness)

Worst places:

1:Weatherspoons (poor service for pub grub)
    2: Upper Deck (living on past glories)

The Captain's Galley is where you would take someone to impress them, but you would be skint if you did it too often.

The carvery at the Northern Sands Hotel takes some beating, you get a lot of meat and it is presented very well. The down side is that you pay for 3 courses so if you're full after the meat you may struggle with the sweet.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge
    The trouble with most, ahem, 'restaurants' in Caithness is that their food is supplied by the same suppliers. Therfore, your meal comes down to how well it was fried, microwaved. Furthermore, the food in Caithness is so terrible (excusing the odd exceptopn) people don't really notice because there's nothing to compare it to... other than the next bistro/restaurant/cafe/whateveryouwanttocallit next door.

Just my £0.02p worth.
    I think this is a bit unfair Pepsi - I think there's little difference in quality between here and south other than *really* expensive places where you might pay £35+ per head. The Bord l'eau in Wick, Ulbster Arms, Portland, Bistro etc don't microwave! the food here at £20 to £25 per head is as good as anywhere at that price, probably even more expensive in England for the same quality.

I recently stayed at the Tulloch castle Hotel in Dingwall, and was pretty impressed - has a really good steak with lots of trimmings, but also the service and quality of the accomodation (OK, apart from the overworn carpets!) was very good indeed. Would make a nice weekend break for a romanticly-minded couple!

Default best food in caithness

you cant beat the sinclair bay hotel in keiss the food is excellent service is great and the hosts john and judith are really nice and friendly what more do you want?

ajr Guest

I tried Liquid (stupic name but hey I guess they are trying to be trendy) - the bowling alley. The food was great and the selection superb! Give it a go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast