Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best food in Caithness?

Default Re: fantastic food

Quote Originally Posted by johndy
    Looking for a good meal, try the St Clair Hotel, Thurso, Food Fantastic
    Yeh the chef there is pretty good. Can't remember his name but he's a young guy.

Default Anyone tried in Wick?

Tried Wetherspoons (nr Council Service point, Wick) last weekend and last Monday.
    2 meals for £5.99 and DELICIOUS they were too!
    Fish and chips looked lovely I had Lasagne served with a gorgeous side salad both days and it was delish too!
    They do 'clubs/nights' in there too we saw on the menu: curry night I think was £10 and they serve a roast and drink each Sunday till around 9.30pm for £9 roughly
    I sound like a walking ad for them but tried it twice and will go back! (Plus I can't walk I'm the mad one in a wheelchair!)
    Winnie Rules!

Food may be good in weatherspoons but stupid rules when it comes to children having to order meals for infants if not you are asked to leave, If they are in the building they are required to be eating, not a child friendly place

Weatherspoons good food???? Only as good as pre packaged & reheated meals can be. It is hardly a quality meal. You cant beat good fresh local produce cooked to order. I can buy frozen food from safeways to stick in the oven at home if I want that kind of grub.

Quote Originally Posted by Naefearjustbeer
    Weatherspoons good food???? Only as good as pre packaged & reheated meals can be. It is hardly a quality meal.
    Im with you on this.........weatherspoons is ok for lunch - i like the wraps and the salads but for anything else its not great.

I like the french restaurant - not quite as nice as the one im going to on Thursday night but hey............ im in France just now soooooooooooooooooooooo.....

I like the Bistro and i have heard the Northern Sands is ok these days too

having heard about the take over of the St Clair in thurso we went out to try it and all I can say is yummy yummy, A 3 course meal for 2 cost just over £30 and the food was good and the portions were big, I could hardly move afterwards. I will be going back again but i think I will stick to 2 courses as i had to let my belt out a notch after I was finished

kirkhill Guest

Default Dounreay Club, Wick

Was at Maxis Kitchen in the dounreay club for lunch today, good homemade food, large portions, and very child friendly, well worth a visit if looking for a good meal, cheap as well, 3 course meal £5

Default Mmmmm... food!

I have to say the best meals I've had in Caithness in the past few months were at the Ulbster Arms in Halkirk- it's a set price per head (poss £29.50???) for a 3 course meals plus some delicious sorbet. They do amazing things with venison and salmon (not together!), and I would also recommend the duck. You also get coffee and homemade sweeties or traybakes afterwards which are great too. And the measures in the bar are 35ml which is some good value for money!!

sophietotnot Guest

Default Castle Arms, Mey

Great food and fair price.

I love to eat at Le Bistro. It can be a little pricey, but the food has never disappointed me. Still sizzling on arrival at the table... impressive!

bit far afield, but OK if you're on the A9, the Tomich Restaurant near Invergordon serves simple but wholesome food, and the cakes are HUGE!! Nice latte too! All things equal I think the Portland is best. My partner ordered the pork a couple of weeks ago and even got a big piece of crackling served separately, nice touch. And I had oysters at the French in Wick a coupla Friday's ago, and they worked!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.bowles
    has anyone tried the cafe' at berriedale new owners food really good and opening hours are longer to?
    Really Mr Bowles should we not wait for people to recommend us rather than doing it ourselves

Default Re: good food

Quote Originally Posted by muts
    The old smiddy Inn Thrumster does a cracking meal large portions nice atmosphere and good prices too!! what else can you ask for
    Here Here!!!!! The best around!!!!

tonight we had high tea at the Northern Sands (up to 7 PM) and it was pretty good. I had fish and chips and salad - huge fish, really nice crunchy beer batter, nice chips. Nice pint of Guinness and a very friendly Aussie girl serving. Well done everyone. Only £7.50 a head too (not incl bar drinks) - exc value.

Default Keiss Hotel

I would recommend anybody to try Keiss Hotel for a meal.

We went for an evening meal recently and had an excellent meal.
    Cheerful and pleasant staff, plenty of options on the menu and very ample portions.
    We were in a party of six, everybody had something different and everybody was happy with their meal.

We'll certainly be going back again.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddd
    bit far afield, but OK if you're on the A9, the Tomich Restaurant near Invergordon serves simple but wholesome food, and the cakes are HUGE!! Nice latte too! All things equal I think the Portland is best. My partner ordered the pork a couple of weeks ago and even got a big piece of crackling served separately, nice touch. And I had oysters at the French in Wick a coupla Friday's ago, and they worked!
    I agree about Tomich but had a really good meal at Tall Pines at Evelix Filling Station by Dornoch last week when travelling to Inverness. Always used to stop at Skiach but find its gone down hill a bit.

Ive stopped going to the Skiach now because of rising prices and what seams to be getting ever smaller portions, far prefer Woodys (behid wickes in inverness), or further south The Chefs Grill in Kingussie is excellent! Motorgrill at Ballinluig is good too.
    Any other ideas where to eat further south?

Not especially cheap but not expensive either, food always good and served with a smile, in The Macbeath Experience at Bankfoot. Maybe a bit too far away for most but a handy stop on the way down to Glasgow and Edinburgh. If we are in Inverness we always head for the Chest, Heart and Stroke place round the corner from Etam's where the soup is hot and good and there's a great range of cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by AR
    Ive stopped going to the Skiach now because of rising prices and what seams to be getting ever smaller portions, far prefer Woodys (behid wickes in inverness), or further south The Chefs Grill in Kingussie is excellent! Motorgrill at Ballinluig is good too.
    Any other ideas where to eat further south?
    Do I detect a bacon butty person?

My all time favourite - I've eaten there scores of times over at least 10 years - is Bella Italia (formerly Bella Pasta) in Inverness (under the TIC). Always excellent, especially the desserts!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast