Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just me thinking.....

Question

Did anyone else see Autumnwatch on Friday night?
    I was amazed to learn that the critters which hibernate actually wake up every so often for ablutions, then have a quick snooze, and then go back to hibernating!
    Hibernating is not sleeping! Go figure!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Piratelassie - if you contact balmore and they can come collect hedgehog. They have the facility to feed these guys up and keep them warm and well at the same time. Alot of the ones they get are sometimes riddled with ticks which are removed and can have fleas.
    They must be at least 600g before release back into the wild in order to survive the winter...

ah well done piratelassie your a hero ...keep us informed ..xx
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Castletown (N58deg 35.240/W003deg 22.839)

Talking

I only noticed at the beginning of this month that I had a hedgehog visiting our garden. I have made a feeding station out of a plastic storage box so my dogs and the neighbourhood cats can't scoff what I put out! I put out cat food, dry hedgehog food, raisins and water. I was waiting for it come one night - and 2 visited at the same time! I am now monitoring them - I have weighed them and marked them so I know if it's the same two coming or not. I was slightly concerned as the smaller one must be an 'autumn juvenile' as it only weighed 530gms and I know they should be 600gms for hibernating successfully. I don't really want to intervene too much as it appeared healthy and has maybe another couple of weeks yet to gain a bit more weight. My hubby has just finished making the 1st hibernation box and we have put it down at the bottom of the garden near the gate where it comes in, and I have left leaves and straw outside the box for it to make a nest - can't wait to find out if it will be occupied this winter! Probably gonna be too late for the 2nd box to be used this year but when it's finished we'll put it out anyway at the other side of the garden and hope for the best!

Default Just me thinking.......

Lovely story here how a hedgehog gave birth in a 5 star hotel to three hoglets
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8316790.stm

Sadly I saw two splattered on the road between Mey and Gills today. Only saw one once in out garden when we had a sensor light, they are great things for seeing what goes through the garden under darkness. Dont have one anymore maybe I should get one.

Wee story time.
    Driving past the Campsite swingpark one autumn night about 10pm a couple of years back, when I saw a hedgehog running along the road unable to get up the kerb. So stopped the car to lift it to safety and it ran away from me right under the wheel of a car overtaking my parked car.

I was devastated and will never try it again.
    Away with the birds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12