Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just me thinking.....

Default Just me thinking.....

whare has all the hedgehogs gone? havent seen one for years...just wondering
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

I nearly ran over a young one going down the Helmsdale road last week. It shot across the road in front of me, fortunately there was enough room for me to swerve round it. By the time I'd slammed the brakes on and got out with my camera to photograph it, it had disappeared though.

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    I nearly ran over a young one going down the Helmsdale road last week. It shot across the road in front of me, fortunately there was enough room for me to swerve round it. By the time I'd slammed the brakes on and got out with my camera to photograph it, it had disappeared though.
    I'm glad to hear that they have been spotted...think I will make it a mission to keep an eye open...so how many of you folks out thare has seen one this year?
    so far..
    1 ..in helmsdale

They could be hibernating since the weather has been so cold. We had a pair came into our garden to be fed every night but haven't seen them for a long time. They are beautiful wee animals and it so sad to see them squashed on the road.

Hadn't really thought about it, but not seen one for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    They could be hibernating since the weather has been so cold. We had a pair came into our garden to be fed every night but haven't seen them for a long time. They are beautiful wee animals and it so sad to see them squashed on the road.
    just googled this
    Hedgehogs hibernate for one simple reason: to survive the winter. Because hedgehogs feed on insects (more on feeding), food becomes scarce in the cold of winter. Hedgehogs cannot live on snow, so they have to do something to remedy this problem! So they go to sleep. But not just any sleep. Hedgehog hibernation. During hibernation, the metabolism rate of hedgehogs falls dramatically, so hedgehogs burn much less fat. Doing this, they are able to survive the winter with no (or little) food.
    ah well need to start my mission in the spring...cheers folks

I saw one a few months back in Browns Place.

There are hedgehogs in the green road area. We found a family there once, and another time one had unfortunately drowned in a drain.....
    They are very shy.... hard to spot.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

we had one in the garden two weeks ago, he went under our shed.....i haven't seen him since. probably hibernating now as it's got a lot colder the past week

och....Im delighted they are still on the planet xx remember me in the spring and we will have a count up of these wee critters...xx

Typically they stopped coming to get fed when I bought special Hedgehog Food!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Typically they stopped coming to get fed when I bought special Hedgehog Food!
    sods law tee hee...what is it and will it keep?

Quote Originally Posted by ciderally View Post
    sods law tee hee...what is it and will it keep?
    I know!

It is a dried food so gave it to the birds. Had to put it in the feeders off the ground though as Benjy, my dog, wanted to eat the raisins!

Default Hedgehog

We had one in the back yard a couple of months ago and it was so amusing watching Casper trying to investigate what it was.

I have no idea how he got in or where it went, as the yard is totally enclosed.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    We had one in the back yard a couple of months ago and it was so amusing watching Casper trying to investigate what it was.

I have no idea how he got in or where it went, as the yard is totally enclosed.
    It's amazing what spaces they can squeeze in between Kevin.

Ours came into our garden via our neighbours and then through a garden gate which was closed.

Im so glad I posted this as there seems to be a few of the critters about....Im gonna keep watch next year xx thanks folks

Default hedgehog

I have an under-weight hedgehog.and cant put him outside as he wont survive the winter. I'm keeping him in a box in the livingroom just now and let him out to exercise.He's been here over a week and is eating well. Is there a rescue centre anywhere in Caithness. As my livingroom for the next 6mths is not practical....HELP....

Try Balmore Go On The SSPCA Website You'll Get Contact Details Hope This Helps.

hedgehogs don't go far...they won't eat you out of house and home..he can't switch the lights, tv and heating on when you're not there and he won't let strangers in ..and won't make phonecalls abroad ..so, in all, he'll be no bother....
    Keep it country

Default Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    I have an under-weight hedgehog.and cant put him outside as he wont survive the winter. I'm keeping him in a box in the livingroom just now and let him out to exercise.He's been here over a week and is eating well. Is there a rescue centre anywhere in Caithness. As my livingroom for the next 6mths is not practical....HELP....
    It's good to see that there are still plenty of people that care for our wildlife in order to give them a fair chance.

If you are going to bring him indoors , piratelassie you may want do put some flea powder on him especially his snout, also a cooler place would suit them better. Good luck with him.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast