Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most scenic area in Caithness.

Default Most scenic area in Caithness.

For me it has to be standing on the highest spot on Dunnet Head, looking over Orkney on a clear day, even though there's 100's more.

For me it's standing on the footbridge at the Riverside in Wick looking upstream at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    For me it's standing on the footbridge at the Riverside in Wick looking upstream at sunset.
    Is this near Somerfield?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Is this near Somerfield?
    Yeah, on the long bridge.

The Best View in all of Caithness is standing at Swilkie Point and Looking out to Orkney. The Tidal Swirl of the Swilkie never fails to be totally awesome.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    Yeah, on the long bridge.
    Thanks. Shall go and have a look

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear1873 View Post
    For me it has to be standing on the highest spot on Dunnet Head, looking over Orkney on a clear day, even though there's 100's more.
    A similar view but from Duncansby Head, where you also get the lighthouse and views of the stacks.

Staxigoe harbour of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Scotland Haven on a fine calm day when the water is translucent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stack Rock View Post
    Staxigoe harbour of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brilliant place. Many a time I used to sit there in the work van having my tea break.

At the back of the mast at Olrig, looking over the land. What a beautiful and mystical place Caithness is.
    Last edited by Boozeburglar; 10-Oct-09 at 19:42.

Smile Scenic area of Caithness

Well i used to stay at Swiney just outside Lybster and had a huge sitting room with 3 really big windows so lying on my couch if i looked to my right i could look out to Dunbeath Castle with Scaraben and Morven if i looked to infront i looked out to the North Sea and the oilrigs and windmills or if i looked to my left i looked down onto the villiage of Lybster and the coast. Fantastic!

Loch More - beautiful quiet solitude. Always spend time there when in the far north.

Walking back along St Andrews Drive, from the Cemetary. The view you get of the whole of Thurso is lovely!

The area where I live.

The coastline is so nice we sometimes don't see the beauty of the area we live in.

Theres 3

Wick Bay on a scorching hot summers day, when you have been out at sea all week & about 1 mile off the harbour it just looks magnificent....

The others are Berriedale from the south side looking north & from just north of Berriedale when you can see the bay with Lybster Latheron, Latheron wheel for miles.
    Cmey e Scorries

I had two favourites: one was sitting up on the cliff at Holborn Head on a nice day looking out over the sea, the other was about five miles up-river on the Thurso - there was a suspension footbridge and the view down river was great.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post

The area where I live.

The coastline is so nice we sometimes don't see the beauty of the area we live in.
    That bottom pic brings back memories, we had a large haul of fish one day & we lay off sarclet for hours gutting, we couldnt go in to WK til it was dark as we only had 20 boxes left on our quota & we had 100 in 1 haul
    Black fish!!!, those were the days
    Cmey e Scorries

Shelligoe, at Lybster, when the tides in, round the 'big rock'...those were the days, my friend...we thought they'd never end.....but they did, ah, well...
    Keep it country

The views from Craig More and Craig Lethan south of Reay are stunning on a clear day.

In summer I walked from Braemore at Dunbeath to Dirlot near Loch More - an amazing walk but probably best the other way - approaching Maiden Pap and Morven as you walk.

And the walks up the Dunbeath strath, around Holborn Head and out past the Duncansby Stacks are also pretty special!

Caithness has a lot of scenic areas - lets try and keep it that way.

GNG
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast