Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Blasphemy (Part II)

Default Blasphemy (Part II)

I don't see anything wrong with banning swearing in a Christian football league, or any other football league for that matter, but I don't see why the original poster should be allowed to close a thread and deny us the right to respond simply because he didn't like the first reply.

So let's start again....
    Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    What are your thoughts on blasphemy or did you think it went out with the dark ages?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...e-1192412.html
    I have mixed feelings. I would rather our great cathedrals were used to celebrate man's greatness but there are still a sizable amount of people who participate in God associated symbolism. Births, marriages, deaths, for example.
    Should anyone be able to make fun of or criticise someone elses God willy nilly or should blasphemy laws be restored to the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphe...United_Kingdom
    Link to original thread
    Last edited by crayola; 10-Oct-09 at 15:56.

Default Blasphemy laws restored.

They are hard push to enforce current laws and legislation so this would just add to the already overloaded system if it were to ever be introduced.

I think it's silly, and I cant believe that they wear abolished as recent as 2008.

IMHO swearing, including blasphemy shows a lack of respect for those around you. It is so unnecessary.
    Do people gain any kudos from their acquaintances when they use such language? Do they 'score' extra brownie points dependent on how 'bad' they swear?
    Blasphemy disrespects not only the religion concerned but its followers and oneself.
    If the Christian league want to ban swearing and blasphemy all power to them.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I I don't see why the original poster should be allowed to close a thread and deny us the right to respond simply because he didn't like the first reply.
    I am with gleeber on this issue, his thread, he can do what he wishes, Well done Gleeber mate.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Freedom of speech. Unless people are going to be deliberately antagonistic, we should be allowed to say whatever we want.
    Far too much political correctness going on nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Freedom of speech. Unless people are going to be deliberately antagonistic, we should be allowed to say whatever we want.
    Far too much political correctness going on nowadays
    You're right we should not be afraid to speak up and out! Political correctness is the disease of the century. So called, blasphemy laws are dangerous though, as it's very easy for fanatics to take justice into their own hands by making false charges against members of other religions. ALL religions are devisive.
    Last edited by Stavro; 10-Oct-09 at 16:58.

In my opinion religious hatred is never acceptable but in a civilised society constructive criticism of any religion should not only be permitted but maybe even encouraged. It should be compulsory for some religions.

Talking

In my opinion religious hatred is never acceptable but in a civilised society constructive criticism of any religion should not only be permitted but maybe even encouraged. It should be compulsory for some religions.
    Indeed, i'll poke fun at religion and it's utterly ridiculous concept, until my last breath, and just after that i'll be hoping it's not a load of old fairy tales

Some people have strong faith in religion others dont. I'm very much so in the later party as far as religion is concerned. I say you live your life the way you want to not rthe way you're told to.

I think some people do swear too much. I've heard a few people who have had at least three swear words in every sentence they say which to me is too much. I swear seldomly, its just not nesscarily(sp).

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Indeed, i'll poke fun at religion and it's utterly ridiculous concept, until my last breath, and just after that i'll be hoping it's not a load of old fairy tales
    You might be hoping it is a load of old fairy tales if you see Lucifer welcoming you at the gates of Hell.

Talking

You might be hoping it is a load of old fairy tales if you see Lucifer welcoming you at the gates of Hell.
    No chance, i'll be delighted to be heading south of heaven, after all...the devil does have all the best tunes, Cliff Richard or Black Sabbath?...no contest

I tell you to enjoy life I wish I could but it's too late.

I tell you to enjoy life I wish I could but it's too late.
    It's never too late!

All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy.

Talking

All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy.
    Try the Ann Summers website then