Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jury Service.

Quote Originally Posted by achingale View Post
    I dread this. I have no idea how objective I could be, depending on the crime. A crime like theft or vandalism I could probably see a way round, but rape or domestic violence, without even hearing the case, I would throw the book at them.
    Would be better if some of the judges would do some of it like that. Always the same people in court every week. Recon its about time they bring in the 3 strikes then 25 years rule.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsK View Post
    One of the cornerstones of British Justice is that anyone can elect to be tried by their peers, ...

Well, actually the right of a defendent to a trial by jury does not exist in Scotland. It can be agreed upon if the fiscal is in agreement, but the right to insist upon one does not exist here.

I also received a jury summons recently and will attend the courts on Nov 9. It's both a duty and an honor; it's what keeps us civilised. Think of the many places in this world where people don't receive any trial at all. While true that everyone has built in prejudices, a juror doesn't judge the person by looks or attitude, the juror applies the current laws to the evidence presented. And the judge will love to remind the jurors of that every day of the trial.
    So don't be afraid to serve jury duty, think of it as an excellent growth experience.

Thumbs down

I honestly think that the Sherriff Court at Wick should close and all cases be moved to Inverness, there was talk of it a bit back and I think it a good thing. My reason for this was the persons on trial in a case that I was involved with weren't given a fair trial due to a good proportion of the jury actually knew the defendants or their circumstances despite going through a neutral selection process at the start of the trial. I was totally shocked by some of their attitude, ignorance and especially their bias in the case.

Our County is too small for that.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Maybe this is the wick gala missing thousands case thats been put off time and time again.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12