Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Swimming phone?

Unhappy Swimming phone?

Any idea how to rescue my phone, I accidentally dropped it down the loo when changing for a shower, I rescued it very quickly, dried it off and hairdried on low and left to dry completely on low heater, has been left to dry all day but to no avail it seems to have stripes on the screen and no icons coming up, does sing away to its self a bit but I will be lost without it...any ideas to aid its recovery?

Mine has worked in the past when I have done what you have done. But the trick is to not turn it on until it is completely dry - you will fry the battery or the screen

Bad news is though that most phone insurance doesn't cover you for water damage either so you would have to claim off the house insurance...

I have a sony k800i that you could have £20 if you want it - its locked to O2 though

Looks like the time has come to buy another phone.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

lol i dropped mine in the horses water last year after a couple of days on the heater it was ok But the next week it got dropped and in the straw and yes one of my four legged friends trod on it, so it was new phone time.
    Now only buy cheap phones

I ended up getting another phone as months later the phone I dropped in water STILL wouldn't work.

Mobile phones are a conspiracy, they aren't made to last, therefore we go buy ANOTHER phone. You'd think with todays technologies all mobiles would be waterproof.

Eh Government!
    Greed & Competition aren't the result of immutable human temperament, greed & fear of scarcity have being created & amplified. Consequently, we've got to fight with each other in order to survive!

Open it up and set it in a bowl of rice. Worked a treat for me after trying unsuccessfully to dry it out on a radiator.

There are some videos on youtube that show you what to do.
    From what I recall, it was basically
    Take your phone to pieces
    Dry up all excess water with kitchen towel
    Put each piece of the phone into dry rice
    Put into the airing cupboard for a day or two

The bloke in the video deliberately dunks his phone, and demonstartes it working at the end

This needs to be done immediately after getting wet

Leave it to dry for a few days in the airing cupbaord or on top of a radiator. My sister droped her phone in one of the burns on dunnet beach and it was ok after a couple of days drying out.

If you are on contract then fonesafe are excellent insurers. They cover you everything.

Don't do what my mate did, he put it in the micro wave to dry it.......needless to say, micro chips!
    Captain Smee

Take it to bits and leave out to dry in an airing cupboard. Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by smee View Post
    Don't do what my mate did, he put it in the micro wave to dry it.......needless to say, micro chips!
    Brilliant although better than the person who did the same thing with their cat!

Tbh even if you did get it up and running your gonna end up with a faeces reception because of where its been. People will think your talking urine on the other end too...

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Mine has worked in the past when I have done what you have done. But the trick is to not turn it on until it is completely dry - you will fry the battery or the screen

Bad news is though that most phone insurance doesn't cover you for water damage either so you would have to claim off the house insurance...

I have a sony k800i that you could have £20 if you want it - its locked to O2 though
    hehehe not funny i know but i did the exact same thing with my iphone...once it dried out, it works fine but wont hold a charge..the bad news is house insurance wouldnt pay our either.. apparantly water damage isnt accidental....like u would drop it down the loo on purpose..
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

I dropped my mobile phone in the bath last night. When I took it out, it was ringing.

Smile swimming phone

Great news my phone has lived to tell the story of the bottom of the loo, today I put it all back together and lo and behold it worked.

Great news indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy@watten View Post
    Great news my phone has lived to tell the story of the bottom of the loo, today I put it all back together and lo and behold it worked.
    You must be Flushed with success,

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy@watten View Post
    It was a cry for help. Do the decent thing and upgrade!!