Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lybster - what is it like?

I lived in Lybster for quite a few years before moving a few miles out.
    The majority of the people are fantastic, most locals welcome newcomers as if their family then of course you get the odd ones that treat you like you have the plague!! with the attitude of 'how dare you move up here stealing our houses & jobs!' yes I came across this afew times!
    Wouldnt recommend moving to the bottom end of the village this is were most of the trouble (when there is any) is , but saying that things do seem to be alot quieter than in previous years.
    There are a few idiots in the village that seem to always be in trouble but the police are aware of them.
    Theres now a couple of police officer that live in the village too one is on a crusade to stop the double parking outside the shops!! if anyone has seem the width of the street outside the shops they would see how hilarious this sounds! you could probably fit 8 cars across the street!
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

marie... Lybster is braw. N'ermind folks moanin' aboot incomers. I live in lybster and LOVE it. 99.9% of the locals are the friendliest, loveliest, most kind hearted folk ye'll ever meet. Weel the other micro percentage might gie ye dirty looks, try and mow ye down on the road, phone the police or council on you for nae reason but tae cause trouble but, as long as ye stick to a policy of smile an wave ye'll be fine! Lol we've got a bonnie harbour if no the bonniest in scotland, great wee shops, pubs and the freshest air on the planet.

Tilly Teckel Guest

Another incomer here! We're just a couple of miles outside of the village and find it great. There's a wee golf course in the village where my son had free coaching during the summer holidays, badminton coaching during the term time, dance classes in the community hall (plus many other things at various times), bowling club, the friendliest doctor you could ever hope to meet (Dr Bobby!), the beautiful harbour and surrounding countryside, the Portland Arms Hotel for a lovely meal, two shops where you can buy pretty much anything you need, a post office/newsagents... and that's just in the one street! The countryside around is fabulous and our dogs love it. I haven't had any trouble or seen any, and we've been made more than welcome. I thoroughly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by catran View Post
    How very true.
    You have a problem with eco-friendly lifestyles? Can't say I do.

We're incomers, been here since 03 and love it. We live just outside the village so generally don't come across any of the yobs that people speak of.
    I would agree though that the bottom end of the village is probably the place to avoid, not because they're all yobs down there (there are plenty of nice families that just want a quiet life) but because that's where the council house people and unfortunately they don't discriminate against drunks and drug users or those that have no respect for property as they've not had to put their hard earned cash in to buy it.
    However, my experience of the Lybster people (locals and incomers) has never been anything but friendly. I am simply stating what I have heard with regards the bottom end of the village.
    Have to agree that incomers do appear to make up the majority now but I wouldn't say that's a good or a bad thing, it's just how it is.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

actually, a quick skim through catran 200 something posts ye will see more than half are slagging off incomers from "doon sooth". It's this attitude that creates a huge divide in an otherwise great wee community like Lybster. Childish and sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by roadbowler View Post
    actually, a quick skim through catran 200 something posts ye will see more than half are slagging off incomers from "doon sooth". It's this attitude that creates a huge divide in an otherwise great wee community like Lybster. Childish and sad really.
    No you have it wrong, I for one have no objection whatsoever to Southerners, most play an important part in the everyday run of things in this county and i HAVE MANY friends who have Southern accents, just commenting on the number of South accents that was all ,that seems to be everywhere especially when it came to the Caithness accents which appear to be diminishing at an alarming rate of knots so I will as of now SHUT UP.................and I do apologise if one has been offended. I feel sorry that it has divided a small community and that is a shame. Why should it divide a community SURELY that is childish?

aye, diminishing... the key word, diminishing because how else has property been available to 'incomers' catran? this is not a phenomena that only occurs in caithness you know. It is happening everywhere. People move around a lot these days. Times are a changing!
    Last edited by roadbowler; 13-Oct-09 at 07:14.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12