Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Threatened by a another member

Unhappy

Why have so many people inferred that those of us who care for animals do so to the exclusion of everything else?

We are quite capable of caring for people as well! Well some!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elaine
    Here's an idea:

Next time DW offends anyone with his comic-book villain comments, try ignoring it. He seems to get a strange kind of glee (mwahaha!) from watching the whole thing unravel, adding in the odd jibe here and there to keep everyone riled up. I think a "no reaction" reaction would be hilarious - no threats, no replies, no nothing - then see how quick it disppears down the page - hee hee.

There's no point in getting wound up over this - I don't think his comments are ever serious (he's trying to be funny - sorry "satirical") and if that's what floats his boat, let him get on with it - but don't let it affect your blood pressure!!

Rats, this reply has just put it to the top again - D'OH!!
    Elaine, I don't think anybody could have put it better.

Unfortunately I suspect some people just get their kicks by looking for posts to get wound up about so they can enjoy moaning and trying to get others into trouble.
    What it generally means is that somebody doesn't quite see things in the same way that they want them to and that's what offends them.

Niall also put it very well. If you don't like what certain posters have to say then don't read them. It's not rocket science.

If you insist on doing something again and again and again knowing full well it is going to annoy you then who's to blame?
    It's as sensible as constantly banging your head against a brick wall and then complaining about the wall.
    Just stop doing it. Problem solved!

I wonder if Mrs Slocombe ever found her pussy?
    "I'm Free!"
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

[quote=JAWS]
    It's as sensible as constantly banging your head against a brick wall and then complaining about the wall.
    Just stop doing it. Problem solved!
    quote]

excellent LMAO

watch this space for the sycophantic sheep (punk baroque with reggae overtones)

Cjnr

Really the simple answer has been given, but due to the recent upsurge in Trolling, the suspension is now being raised to 1 month, so if you are not interested in a thread/topic, avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie
    Really the simple answer has been given, but due to the recent upsurge in Trolling, the suspension is now being raised to 1 month, so if you are not interested in a thread/topic, avoid it.
    More excellent advice - nevertheless, I feel that a mischevious reminder from the 'Rules for Caithness.Org Forums' would be timeous -
    "Trolling"
    This describes various practices including, starting a thread with a view to raising the tempers of others, bringing back to the top old threads that have died out naturally with a pointless quip, needling other members into a pointless argument.
    I assume this means a post that is specifically entered for "needling other members" and not just for humour; I accept that this is, as the man with the wooden leg said, a matter of opinion.
    However, could this post, http://forum.caithness.org/showpost....9&postcount=26 be said to have a small element of a troll to it, given the post title as well.
    Personally, I think it IS funny.................

Quote Originally Posted by Willowbankbear
    I suggest ye go & see someone about your obsession
    Shouldn't that be pussession?
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie
    Here's a better idea, Click on DWs name, then click "View Public Profile", then when the page loads, click on "Add DW to my ignore list", voilla, you will no longer see any of DWs posts.
    That is all very logical, however would it not be better if if the person causing the upset was simply mature enough to ignore the threads that clearly bother them in the first place? Instead, every opportunity is taken to wind some people up, it is clearly not for humour but for annoyance that they post. There are only so many jokes you can crack about cats and elephants before it gets a bit stale.

I also think that if you are going to use an ignore list to blank out certain posters input, you not only lose the gist of the thread but you also open the door for others to say that they should be able to post anything THEY want and if others don't like it then simply click a button.

ps I was not allowed the freedom of speech to use the name of Scooby Doo's lanky friend in the quiz the other week. Did you hear me complaining?

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    That is all very logical, however would it not be better if if the person causing the upset was simply mature enough to ignore the threads that clearly bother them in the first place? Instead, every opportunity is taken to wind some people up, it is clearly not for humour but for annoyance that they post. There are only so many jokes you can crack about cats and elephants before it gets a bit stale.

I also think that if you are going to use an ignore list to blank out certain posters input, you not only lose the gist of the thread but you also open the door for others to say that they should be able to post anything THEY want and if others don't like it then simply click a button.

ps I was not allowed the freedom of speech to use the name of Scooby Doo's lanky friend in the quiz the other week. Did you hear me complaining?
    Scorrie, is that a suggestion that Niall should ban DW simply because some people find his/her jokes to be either in bad taste or stale?

What you are suggesting is that if a few people with a certain point of view decide to make a lot of fuss over somebody else's opinions then they should be banned.

Sorry, but I for one would strongly object to such a suggestion.
    That idea is nothing more or less than the law of the Lynch Mob.

"Lets all gang up on "so and so" then we can get rid of them!"

What a wonderful idea! After DW, who can we pick on next!

Perhaps you could start a poll to run every week.
    "Most Hated of the Week!" and the top one gets a permanent ban.
    You could even run it on a descending scale.
    Top five a complete ban. Next five a years ban, Following five a six months ban and so on down to a weeks ban.

That way you could enjoy posting your own opinions between yourselves and there would be nobody to upset you!

The only complaint I have about what is happening on the board is that there is a growing penchant amongst certain members to try and fuss and complain in order get other members banned.

As far as I am concerned such attitudes are ruining and indeed stopping the good natured banter which used to occur.
    As soon as any banter occurs some immediately attempt to turn it into a slanging match and start throwing accusations about.
    All it shows is that some people have a complete lack of tolerance and wish to behave like bullies towards members they disagree with.

your on form the day jaws.

Default Love & enjoy my cat

We love and enjoy our domesticated cat Pearl. She keeps me happy in my old age. She is always ready to share her love with us here in the confines of our home. We could not ask for a better companion.

Totally bored with this now.......

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    Scorrie, is that a suggestion that Niall should ban DW simply because some people find his/her jokes to be either in bad taste or stale?

What you are suggesting is that if a few people with a certain point of view decide to make a lot of fuss over somebody else's opinions then they should be banned.

Top five a complete ban. Next five a years ban, Following five a six months ban and so on down to a weeks ban.

That way you could enjoy posting your own opinions between yourselves and there would be nobody to upset you!

The only complaint I have about what is happening on the board is that there is a growing penchant amongst certain members to try and fuss and complain in order get other members banned.

As far as I am concerned such attitudes are ruining and indeed stopping the good natured banter which used to occur.
    As soon as any banter occurs some immediately attempt to turn it into a slanging match and start throwing accusations about.
    All it shows is that some people have a complete lack of tolerance and wish to behave like bullies towards members they disagree with.
    Jaws, you have wonderful knack of getting to the nub of things. I couldn't agree with you more. The banter when good natured is the greatest part of being on this forum and when the MUNDANE threads start to dominate and the humour vanishes then the forum becomes dull and uninteresting. If the whiners and complainers were to have their way there would be no point in posting.

Keep up the diatribes. When you're good you're amazing.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Here boy, calm down. You have taken this a bit far, without bothering to let me answer your original question.

I am not asking for anyone to be banned, I have never directed a complaint to the moderators of this board and I have never left rep of any sort for anyone on this board.

I am merely stating that it is somewhat ironic to tell people who are unhappy just to ignore someone, when the problem could be circumvented if the person causing the unhappiness was mature enough to leave it alone. I don't mind banter at all but an obsession with posting comments that you know will annoy some people is not banter as I know it, far less good-natured banter.

Give me a chance to answer the question next time, before letting your Jaws clack away with a totally nonsensical and over-the-top response.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    Here boy, calm down. You have taken this a bit far, without bothering to let me answer your original question.

I am not asking for anyone to be banned, I have never directed a complaint to the moderators of this board and I have never left rep of any sort for anyone on this board.

I am merely stating that it is somewhat ironic to tell people who are unhappy just to ignore someone, when the problem could be circumvented if the person causing the unhappiness was mature enough to leave it alone. I don't mind banter at all but an obsession with posting comments that you know will annoy some people is not banter as I know it, far less good-natured banter.

Give me a chance to answer the question next time, before letting your Jaws clack away with a totally nonsensical and over-the-top response.
    Oh dear, please feel free to answer the question.

The accusation, as I understand it, was that DW was simply posting in order to wind people up. I would take that to mean that he was intentionally violating the rule called "Trolling" which expressly forbids such actions.
    To make a direct accusation, which is what you are obviously doing, that somebody is intentionally breaking a rule for which the punishment is a ban can only lead me to view that in one way.
    I simply link the accusation as an attempt to guide peoples thoughts towards implementing the proscribed punishment.

Unless, of course, you are not suggesting that DW is, in fact, just trying to wind people up.

If you are not directing your comments towards the Moderators then why quote Niall’s post about simply adding DW to your ignore list and then setting about suggesting that by doing that will encourage others to post “anything THEY want”.
    Again, I connect that suggestion with an intention to direct peoples thoughts towards forming an opinion that using the ignore list will simply encourage others to violate the rules at will whilst using the excuse, “Well, if they don’t like the 'filth' I am posting, they can always press the “Ignore” button!”

Of course, I may have interpreted your post in a completely different manner to everybody else.

In view of the reactions to some of DW and others comments, I hardly think I am the only one with a tendency to “clack away with a totally nonsensical and over-the-top response”, in fact it would seem to have become quite an epidemic over the most trivial things . .

If everybody complained everytime they saw somebody post something they found annoying then there would be no board at all. You would be surprised how many thing I could find that annoyed me if I really tried and I suspect a lot of other could also.

I suppose that all this could just be written off as just another case of me letting my “Jaws clack away with a totally nonsensical and over-the-top response.”
    Should you consider it so then so be it. You are entitled to that opinion, I don't mind.

Unless of course you wish to accuse me also of posting this reply in order “simply to wind people up” and/or for the “annoyance of others”.
    If you feel that way then please say so, I won’t take offence, it’s simply not worth the effort.
    I’ll just do what I do with everything else and treat it as a joke. There’s very little in this world that I don’t find amusing.
    I do so hope that my trying to see a funny side in everything doesn't cause too many people to become distressed.

Then again, I suppose they could always conclude that I was just being catty!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    Jaws, you have wonderful knack of getting to the nub of things. I couldn't agree with you more. The banter when good natured is the greatest part of being on this forum and when the MUNDANE threads start to dominate and the humour vanishes then the forum becomes dull and uninteresting. If the whiners and complainers were to have their way there would be no point in posting.

Keep up the diatribes. When you're good you're amazing.
    Oh how I hate doing this, but needs must, Gleber2, I have to agree with you on this one and with Jaws also.
    Oh I'm off to lie down is a dark room now to recover, I dont know whats come over me.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Oh dear, please feel free to answer the question.
    I replied to Niall's post because he was the person suggesting the use of the ignore button. You talk of the board becoming poorer for some comments not being allowed, surely a board where members are encouraged simply to ignore other members has already become a poorer place? That is my point. I fully accept that the less posters there are on a board the less depth there is to that board. What I don't see the need for is repeatedly posting in a subject area that does not interest you, supposedly in the name of humour. Mention is made of mundane threads, however one person's mundane is interesting for another. If a board is not stimulating enough for someone surely they should seek out more cerebral sites?

The implication is also that people should not be over-sentimental about cats because worse things happen in the world. Life is what the person living it makes of it. We all make choices about what is important to us in this world and, collectively, as the human race, we are probably, as someone else suggested in an earlier thread, insane.

My view on this is that DW has, rightfully, made his opinion on cats clear. Why not be happy with that and leave it. It is obvious that other people have different sensitivities and they have pointed out that they are upset by certain comments. Wouldn't the adult thing be to just ignore the threads that seem to end up causing upset to both sides, instead of seeming obsessed with this notion of free speech?

As far as the supposed banter arguement goes, if you were in a public place and trying to crack "banter" with someone else and realised quickly that it was upsetting them, then I am sure you would leave it alone and not keep doing it telling them that you had the right to free speech. Nor would you tell them that they were mundane and needed mental stimulation. Strange then that those courtesies are not available to members on this board.

I've said my piece on this, some might agree, some will not but what is certain is that I am not asking, or looking for, anyone to be banned, just pleading for a bit of respect for the "mundane" members of this board.

When is this going to come to an end its just getting petty now all it's doing is taking up forum space can you change the subject please .

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Oh how I hate doing this, but needs must, Gleber2, I have to agree with you on this one and with Jaws also.
    Oh I'm off to lie down is a dark room now to recover, I dont know whats come over me.
    An attack of intelligence!!! You should see your doctor.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Thread locked - point made....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345