Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: dairy free cheese in tescos

Default dairy free cheese in tescos

do you get dairy free cheese in wick tescos. i have seen the lacto free stuff but i need dairy free.
    thanks

IMO lacto free is supposed to be lactose free, yet it still contains lactose. I avoid dairy, yet I can't stand the taste of dairy free cheese - thankfully I am not lactose intolerant to the extent that I can eat Mozzarella cheese without getting ill.

Sadly though, I can't answer your question. I don't know Wick very well... are there any health food shops in Wick? They should have some if Tesco doesn't.
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

They did have a hardish cheese but for the life of me I can't remember the name that was milk free. As took it for my kids but they didn't like it. Could look for you next time I am in if that's any use....you can get dairy free cheese from goodness direct

I get mine from Holland and Barret.

Lactose is turned into lactase by enzymes which usually live in your bowels. If you are lactose intolerant you either have none or very little of those enzymes (which explains why some people can tolerate a little lactose and other people none).
    The same enzyme is responsible for setting and curing cheese. During the ripening process that very enzyme consumes the lactose in the cheese, making it virtually lactose free. The process takes roughly 1 year.

Any extra mature cheddar is therefor lactose free and any other cheese that is at least 12 month old.

Dairy free however is a different story, if you are allergic to dairy products the alternative is soya cheese, which can be bought from all sorts of online places but Tesco does not stock any to my knowledge.

Tesco in Thurso often have old gouda (should be at least 18-24 month old, so a safe bet) prepacked at the cheese counter which I regularly buy. It's a welcomed variation to the cheddar my other half buys. If you can't find anything on the shelf ask at the cheese counter, they are supposed to know how old any of the cheeses are.

The cheese they had in tesco they had in at one point but not sure if they still have it was called Cheezly and it comes in a round block and is dairy free

thanks. its for my baby who has excema and dairy makes it worse. so looking for alternatives to feed him.

Have you tried lactose free food, does that make it bad as well?

i have tried lacto free but doe sit not still have dairy in it??? this is all a bit new to me, this excema. but since i have swapped cow milk for goat it has made a lot of difference to his skin. i have used the lacto free cheese in his meals. but was wondering if dairy free cheese etc would make his skin even better. he is still dry and itches a lot. but the red rawness of his skin is alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr View Post
    i have tried lacto free but doe sit not still have dairy in it??? this is all a bit new to me, this excema. but since i have swapped cow milk for goat it has made a lot of difference to his skin. i have used the lacto free cheese in his meals. but was wondering if dairy free cheese etc would make his skin even better. he is still dry and itches a lot. but the red rawness of his skin is alot better.
    Goats milk contains lactose so you may well be right that it's the dairy, not the lactose. If that is so then you can buy goats cheese and yoghurts. I haven't checked as I can't have them but they used to sell them in Tescos online, so should be available in Wick hopefully.

However, there are great soya products to be had (yoghurts, custards, cheese etc) if you shop around online. I know that Alpro is available in Wick as I buy it there. They do yoghurts, custards and cream, all dairy free.
    There should be a "free from" shelf in Wick, don't recall it but all large Tescos usually have one. Anything that doesn't go in the chiller should be on there.

Wheat and gluten can be a problem with ecxma, have you looked into that?

How old is he? I hope he grows out of it. My partner had bad ecxma as a child but is fine now.

thanks. he is only 8 months. i do hope he grows out of it. when its bad he can scratch himself til he bleeds. i still have to swaddle him at night to stop him scratching.
    i will have a good look in tescos at weekend as i will be up that way.